TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

York - The Games Sleeping Giant?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

They've never been the same since they left Wiggington Road. Would they be better off ground sharing with York City, but at Bootham Crescent rather than Huntington? But most of all they would definitely need a Ken Davey, they were doing far better than Huddersfield before he got involved there.

how did things go at Wiggington Road?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#142 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

how did things go at Wiggington Road?

Pretty well.  They got to Wembley in 1931, the Cup semi finals in 1984 and just got pipped for promotion in 1989.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#143 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

I would mind £5 for every time over the last 50 years i have heard of a Rugby League club being a sleeping giant.

You would mind it ? :O

Can you send it to me ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#144 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

Pretty well.  They got to Wembley in 1931, the Cup semi finals in 1984 and just got pipped for promotion in 1989.

that well huh?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#145 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

York City have to be out of their stadium in the next few years, that's why there both going to share the new stadium at Huntington, ive supported York since the early 50s and weve had the odd decent season, not sleeping giants by a long chalk.

#146 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

Well the idea nobody in York watches Leeds has been destroyed by anecdotal accounts of Yorkies following the Rhinos and I certainly have picked up on York and Tadcaster addresses and admissions of coming from there from Leeds fans.

Last nights game at Headingley featured York Acorn JARLFC as the "guard of honour" for the entry of the players to the pitch. That was a bit of an eye opener to an extent, but I never really believed the myth that fans of Rugby League somehow all sit at home not bothering with the game but waiting for their local club to one day get in Superleague.

Equally Leeds interest in the junior game beyond the Leeds City boundary was there for all to see, there was a Catterick junior team there too and of course Leeds have spread their connections to the armed forces. Not 100% sure that's the link, but all this indicates that true, effective Superleague clubs work towards being "regional" clubs, spreading their net far and wide.

So if those RL fans in York who want top class RL are travelling to Leeds, and if the kids who want to play it are being courted by Leeds then dreams of the "Minstermen" once again becoming the giant they never ever were just ain't gonna happen. That may sound sad, but not for me when you see big crowds and tremendous matches being underpinned by an interest in the pro game that crosses town boundaries. 

Edited by The Parksider, 30 August 2014 - 07:00 AM.

#147 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Well the idea nobody in York watches Leeds has been destroyed by anecdotal accounts of Yorkies following the Rhinos and I certainly have picked up on York and Tadcaster addresses and admissions of coming from there from Leeds fans.

Last nights game at Headingley featured York Acorn JARLFC as the "guard of honour" for the entry of the players to the pitch. That was a bit of an eye opener to an extent, but I never really believed the myth that fans of Rugby League somehow all sit at home not bothering with the game but waiting for their local club to one day get in Superleague.

Equally Leeds interest in the junior game beyond the Leeds City boundary was there for all to see, there was a Catterick junior team there too and of course Leeds have spread their connections to the armed forces. Not 100% sure that's the link, but all this indicates that true, effective Superleague clubs work towards being "regional" clubs, spreading their net far and wide.

So if those RL fans in York who want top class RL are travelling to Leeds, and if the kids who want to play it are being courted by Leeds then dreams of the "Minstermen" once again becoming the giant they never ever were just ain't gonna happen. That may sound sad, but not for me when you see big crowds and tremendous matches being underpinned by an interest in the pro game that crosses town boundaries.

It just needs for York to step up their game. Do you think there are 5,000 plus inhabitants of York who travel to watch Leeds because a good York team will pull in at least that. On their reformation in CC1, they were pushing for 2,000 at that level.

Hull KR have gone from 1,000 to 7,500 since upping their game. Huddersfield went from 700 to 6,000.

A strong team in York would do m ore for the game than Leeds trying to be all things to all people on a limited basis. You trumpet expansion but then knock it when a big city with a small history could provide a strong club for the game.

#148 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Went to York 2 weeks ago, had a walk towards Huntington, went into a pub in Huntington, which had Premier Sports on, asked one of the guys in there if he had watched the Burgess brothers play earlier (obviously Souths had bn on there that morning), he said "Who?", so I said the " the Burgess brothers, Tom, Luke and Sam", he had no idea who I was on about; granted he wasn't watching the soccer which was on Premier Sports at the time either, so I assume he's not in to sport much.

So this is an indication of York's potential? One bloke you spoke to didn't follow NRL? Though I suppose it was 100% of people surveyed.
By the way, which pub was that? The Flag and Whistle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users