TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

10/08/14 - CCSF2 - Castleford Tigers v Widnes Vikings KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Castleford Tigers by 13 points or more (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

2. Castleford Tigers by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

3. Castleford Tigers by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

4. Widnes Vikings by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

5. Widnes Vikings by 7 to 12 points (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

6. Widnes Vikings by 13 points or more (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Discuss the 2nd Tetley's Challenge Cup semi final Castleford Tigers v Widnes Vikings here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

obviously i am tipping widnes for a return to wembley for the first time since 1993

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

I think Cas will win, but not by much. I also think we'll see a pretty good match.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Cas lacking a few including Millington, Harauki and Carney (who I hear has been charged with grade C dangerous contact today) - should level the game up.

Millington and Carney are big loses IMO.

Not convinced that the Carney incident is worthy of a ban (only seen it live however) but looked very similar to the Paul Aiton one vs salford. Think the charged is based on reputation rather than the actual incident and sadly will deny the wider tv audience watching one of the most entertaining players in Superleague.

*Hearing that the Carney rumour is nonsense and he hasn't been charged - fingers crossed.

Edited by Gates1, 04 August 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#5 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

Carney charged with grade B and therefore won't feature in the semi.

Will hold my thoughts until if and when I have seen a video of the incident although would question why he wasn't sent of as the ref and linesman were both a few metres away. They felt a penalty sufficient...

#6 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Carney charged with grade B and therefore won't feature in the semi.

Will hold my thoughts until if and when I have seen a video of the incident although would question why he wasn't sent of as the ref and linesman were both a few metres away. They felt a penalty sufficient...

This happened right in front of me and if he gets banned he only has himself to blame.

it wasn't malicious at all, he immediately held his hands up and the player got straight up - HOWEVER he has been warned time and time again about his technique and if he's not learning then the only thing that can happen is that he gets banned

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#7 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Agree to an extent although I do think his strength and lack of height contribute to the issues in terms of technique. On first view from Railway end I thought his saving graces would be him releasing early and the landing position of minn's which didn't present a risk of injury.

#8 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Classy Cas to win.

#9 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

This seems all set up for an upset. I think Cas deserve to reach a final for their efforts this year but Widnes will see this as the best chance in a generation to get to Wembley.

I am going for Cas by 8 on form but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Widnes win. Tough call.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

It's probably going to be nerve-wracking for Cas and Chemics fans, but the rest of us can just enjoy the hell out of it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

If both teams play to their potential it should be a cracker.

Our defence against both Wire and Hull KR was impressive. If we can tackle like that we're in with a chance.

We have been beaten by Cas twice this season, but both games have been pretty close.

We should have nothing to fear.

Edited by Bomb Jack, 05 August 2014 - 08:06 AM.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#12 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

Much as I'd like Widnes to win, can't see beyond Cas for this - possibly quite comfortably.

#13 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

We have been beaten by Cas twice this season, but both games have been pretty close.

Really?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#14 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

So looking forward to this. I hope that it kick starts an era in which both sides take back their places at the top of the table after some grim times.

I have a sneaking feeling that Widnes will peak for this, and that their peak will be good enough. I really like the spine of their team, and they have reached great heights on occasion over the last month or so. That said, Cas dismantled Wigan and gave Leeds such a run for their money that anything less than prefection from Widnes' 1, 6, 7, 9 and 13 won't be enough.

I enjoy watching both sides' style of play, so, assuming neither side freezes (which must be a possibility given what's at stake) it promises to be the second epic encounter of the week end. 2 wonderful clubs and 2 exciting teams. Bring it on!

#15 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

Really?

lol.........yeh the 40-20 scoreline also came to my mind but I think what he was getting at was that for the large part of the game it was relatively close - you guys deffo sprinted away in the last 10mins or so

#16 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

The game has sold out, so should be a cracking atmosphere.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#17 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Carney ban confirmed, Harauki appeal unsuccessful.

#18 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

The game has sold out, so should be a cracking atmosphere.

And the RFL will undoubtedly pat itself on the back for what it deems to have been a great decision.

As for the game, Cas will still be clear favourites. Although we've improved this year Widnes rarely seem to do well in big occasions where people think we have a chance. The Wire away game springs to mind. We can catch teams on the hop but I don't think we cope well with expectation.

#19 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

And the RFL will undoubtedly pat itself on the back for what it deems to have been a great decision.

As for the game, Cas will still be clear favourites. Although we've improved this year Widnes rarely seem to do well in big occasions where people think we have a chance. The Wire away game springs to mind. We can catch teams on the hop but I don't think we cope well with expectation.

It is set up to be a great occasion, the rest is up to the players and the BBC to ensure it is

The ground will look fantastic, the pitch immaculate and the noise will be deafening - enjoy and may the best team win

#20 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

Looking forward to this - I'm expecting a classic semi final and a great close game - P.S. I'll be backing CasHullford  :drinks:

Oh and I'm going :-)

Edited by Roy Boy, 05 August 2014 - 10:51 PM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users