TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

10/08/14 - CCSF2 - Castleford Tigers v Widnes Vikings KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Castleford Tigers by 13 points or more (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

2. Castleford Tigers by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

3. Castleford Tigers by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

4. Widnes Vikings by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

5. Widnes Vikings by 7 to 12 points (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

6. Widnes Vikings by 13 points or more (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

So that makes it 11/12 years ago but where did Leigh/Salford fans intend to invade

Don't take it so personally, I was using it as a concrete example where I was present and felt uncomfortable. They had a small neutral section in between the Leigh and Salford fans where I was sitting and a fair few Leigh fans were trying to get across into the Salford section. 

Fair play to you for trying to make this into a semantic argument, that's pretty difficult. 

#222 Ham69

Ham69
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

Nobody has really mentioned that some responsibility must also lie with the Leigh Sporting Village.
I totally agree with Maximus that the pitch invasion escalated as a few were left to roam the pitch and then the real idiots joined in - had the stewarding/policing been on the ball and dragged the first few off quickly I don't think it would have been such an "incident".

Whilst Widnes will bare the brunt (whether i agree or not) some responsibility must surely lie with the stadium?

TBH it shouldn't be considered as a neutral venue for a few years until it can prove it's preventative measures and procedures are well in place.

The Police at the Widnes end went outside the ground with a couple of minutes to go which is standard policing procedure if there is no trouble inside the ground which clearly there wasn't at that time. By the time the stewards had called them back inside the damage was already done.

Edited by Ham69, 12 August 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#223 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

How far is it in from the inside, to the outside, then back in again?

Forgive me, I went to Hilton Park many times but have never been to the LSV.

(null)

#224 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

No, there are meant to be processes and procedures in place to make sure this is a) prevented or B) limited - the response was poor by those responsible for security.

Is that not like blaming the lack of police for somebody fighting in a town centre though?

Surely the onus lies with those that actually committed the crime
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#225 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

The Police at the Widnes end went outside the ground with a couple of minutes to go which is standard policing procedure if there is no trouble inside the ground which clearly there wasn't at that time. By the time the stewards had called them back inside the damage was already done.

According to a widnes fan posting on their forum their was trouble inside prior to this as well as trouble with the same group chucking bottles at the Cas bus - sounds like the signs were there.

#226 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

I work with someone who lives not far from LSV and was out and about pre-game and said he witnessed street fights ( as in more than one) outside the local pubs before the match.

Surely someone must have realised that there was not a good atmosphere pre-match that wasn't going to get better.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#227 Ham69

Ham69
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

I can't pretend I saw everything that went on at the Widnes end. I did see flares set off and a couple of things thrown. However, the atmosphere with the singing was good tbh. I certainly didn't anticipate anything like what happened. You have already indicated a couple of incidents outside the ground before the game and in terms of risk management I guess that was the rational choice in terms of deploying the police.

#228 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Is that not like blaming the lack of police for somebody fighting in a town centre though?

Surely the onus lies with those that actually committed the crime

of course the onus is on the tools running on the pitch to not do that, but when something goes wrong there are meant to be adequate processes in place.

My post was in response to somebody claiming the events were solely due to the fans. If the fans dont invade, sure it doesnt happen. Once it does though, had they been in control it they could have nipped it in the bud. People were still sauntering on the pitch around 5 minutes after it started.

#229 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

Widnes have released pictures of 69 fans they want to identify from the semi-final at www.widnesvikings.co.uk; they will also be published in the Widnes and Runcorn Weekly News. 

I recognise a few faces from it and I suspect a couple of others, potentially people that I know as most of them are pretty blurry. Some of them are really screwed, especially number 69!

I have mixed feelings about it, the fans that went and goaded Cas fans into fighting obviously deserve life bans. However, I'm not convinced that everybody who invaded the pitch at the end intended to cause trouble. Is simply invading the pitch to try and shake the players hands worthy of a life ban? 

#230 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Is simply invading the pitch to try and shake the players hands worthy of a life ban? 

Maybe not.

But everyone knows in this day and age you are not allowed to enter the field of play, even after the final whistle.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#231 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

Is simply invading the pitch to try and shake the players hands worthy of a life ban?

No but taking your shirt off in public when you have the physice of number 30 is 😃.

If hes one of the ones you may know can you pass on my words of wisdom to him "Less rioting more dieting!"

Edited by Gates1, 14 August 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#232 Davc1h

Davc1h
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

No but taking your shirt off in public when you have the physice of number 30 is .

If hes one of the ones you may know can you pass on my words of wisdom to him "Less rioting more dieting!"

LOL quality

#233 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

Good article in the Liverpool echo today with a two page spread showing 60 plus photos of widnes fans with a call to name them,also on BBC website, must applaud Widnes for taking this step.

Edited by ELBOWSEYE, 14 August 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#234 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

i have to apologise to the rugby league community for the actions of a small amount of neanderthal imbeciles masquerading as widnes fans 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#235 Total Rugby League

Total Rugby League
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

The RFL is continuing to work with Widnes Vikings, Castleford Tigers, Greater Manchester Police and other agencies in the ongoing inquiry into the crowd disturbances at the Challenge Cup semi-final played at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday August 10.

Evidence gathered during the investigation, including detailed video analysis from the pitch invasion that took place at the end of the game, has been presented to the Police to assist with their investigation.

Both semi-finalist and the host venue have cooperated fully with the RFL’s own inquiry, which has involved the gathering of witness statements and the forensic review of photographs and video footage from the game.

An RFL spokesman said: “We would like to place on record our thanks to all those individuals and organisations who have provided information as part of what has been a comprehensive and exhaustive inquiry.

“Our investigators are continuing to collect and review evidence, and we hope to conclude this process within the next few weeks before determining the appropriate action against the parties involved.

“We will also continue to work with Greater Manchester Police to identify individuals who may have committed criminal or public order offences at Leigh Sports Village.”

The post RFL: Challenge Cup crowd invasion investigation continuing appeared first on Rugby League news and Super League scores | Total Rugby League.

View the full article on TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users