Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

WW1 your clubs fallen

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Birch Lane Heroes

Birch Lane Heroes
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

Birch Lane Heroes is a three year Heritage Lottery Funded project run by Bradford Bulls Foundation to research the impact of the First World War on the Bradford Northern Club (Bradford Bulls predecessor). It will research the players and staff at the club and their WW1 records, it also aims to engage their decsendants and the local community in the project.

A website including the names of all the players between 1914-1918 itentified from club records will soon be created watch this space. In the meantime if anyone has any knowledge or memorabilia relating to Bradford Northern at this time please get in touch.

http://www.bullsfoundation.org/

#22 MBA

MBA
  • Twitter
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Just read this thread and it saddens me that the deaths of men far braver than any of the keyboard warriors here are still sneered at by some just because they happened to play the wrong code of rugby. Have some respect for Christ sake. RU in Australia still suffers to this day from the huge losses the players and administrators suffered in WWI.

RIP

#23 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

Just read this thread and it saddens me that the deaths of men far braver than any of the keyboard warriors here are still sneered at by some just because they happened to play the wrong code of rugby. Have some respect for Christ sake. RU in Australia still suffers to this day from the huge losses the players and administrators suffered in WWI.

RIP

When did that happen? Has it been edited i can't see it anywhere.

#24 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

There will be a talk by Mike Lathom at Wigan Museum in November titled Rugby Players in Khaki. I'll post more details nearer the time.

Edit. Ahh just spotted Futtocks mentioned this earlier.

Edited by Padge, 10 September 2014 - 07:54 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#25 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

In any war the "toppest brass" simply have to be protected from the action. Plenty of officers died in WW1, it was their job to lead the men over the top, as a glance at any town war memorial will tell you.

You're right on that, the worst death rates were the young officers leading from the front. Not every war memorial has lots of officers on though.My hometown Royton hardly has any, we definitely weren't officer class ;-)