Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Goal Kicking

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 maksymilian

maksymilian
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Fev scored a lot of tries recently, but when you look at the number of converted tries we are letting go of a lot of points. The question is, do we need a consistent goal kicker for next season and future? Liam Finn was a big loss?

#2 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Fev scored a lot of tries recently, but when you look at the number of converted tries we are letting go of a lot of points. The question is, do we need a consistent goal kicker for next season and future? Liam Finn was a big loss?

Whats tha talking about owd lad?. Stu Dickens played prop 80 mins and kicked a hell of a lot of goals into the bargain. Thas either got it or you aint.

#3 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

Moore is reliable last time I saw him

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#4 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

Its been a while since you last saw him then - 1/4 on sunday before giving tee to rooney

#5 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

There was no better goalkicker than Rooneyin his prime, we'll have to wait and see whether he's still as good. Moore killed us last season with a phenomenal goalkicking display for Batley in the play-off', but is his leg still troubling him? They were both off form on Sunday, albeit from wide out, and that seems to be a problem too, we seem to score more in the corner than other sides. One game that struck me was the Challenge Cup at Leigh in which we lost by 10 points. All 4 unconverted tries were scored wide out and Moore also missed a penalty attempt, same with the defeat at Doncaster, in which they kicked 5 goals to our 2, yet we equalled them for tries.

I bet Rooney's out on the field right now practicing his place kicking?

#6 sentoffagain2

sentoffagain2
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

admire    your   loyalty   steve    but  cyril   kellett   and   stevie   quinn   would    take   some    beating   in   the   kicking   department.

#7 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

It is the style of play that Rovers play I'm afraid by using our strengths out wide; It so happened that Finn could kick some beauties especially in his run to his world record; However he could have off days and whether it be Moore or Rooney its good to have two on the field in case of injury as BOTH can kick a ball;

#8 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

Lets not forget Bussey showed some ability with the boot as well.

#9 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

and Will Sharp has got a 50% kicking record this season as well

10527261_10152163584386971_3057229316284

#10 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Lets not be too harsh upon the kickers. Three of Moores kicks were heading between the sticks when that swirling wind pushed em to one side.No matter how good the kicker and even allowing for the elements, he cannot predict a last second change in conditions.

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Moore is a good kicker. His %age this year is a tad under 70% which is not that good this year, but Rovers do in fact score a tremendous number of tries out wide. It's the way we play. No-one can expect regular touchline conversions from their kicker. He's also struggled with some niggling injury that's affected his kicking and has at times given away the duties to another player.

Rooney has always been a very reliable goal kicker, and his stats show he is up there with the likes of Don Fox, Deryck Fox, Terry Clawson, Stuart Dickens as good quality kickers at Fev.

For mine, he's not quite in the elite group of Cyril Kellett or Steve Quinn. No disgrace in that, they are our two all-time greats.

In fact, we've had EIGHT different goal kickers this year. Can you name 'em without looking 'em up?

A Fev Blog

#12 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Moore is a good kicker. His %age this year is a tad under 70% which is not that good this year, but Rovers do in fact score a tremendous number of tries out wide. It's the way we play. No-one can expect regular touchline conversions from their kicker. He's also struggled with some niggling injury that's affected his kicking and has at times given away the duties to another player.

Rooney has always been a very reliable goal kicker, and his stats show he is up there with the likes of Don Fox, Deryck Fox, Terry Clawson, Stuart Dickens as good quality kickers at Fev.

For mine, he's not quite in the elite group of Cyril Kellett or Steve Quinn. No disgrace in that, they are our two all-time greats.

In fact, we've had EIGHT different goal kickers this year. Can you name 'em without looking 'em up?

no

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

no

Honest as ever. I bet you could think of five or six of 'em if you tried.........

A Fev Blog

#14 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

according to Bastian in a sponsors lounge post match interview in pre season, Moore came with a career average of 83% which is up there with all the top kickers, but as people have mentioned we seem to score a large percentage of our tries out wide due to the style of play this season. 

#15 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

Honest as ever. I bet you could think of five or six of 'em if you tried.........

Mark, i am 67 years old today, and as a consequence my brain cells are dying at an alarming rate. i can only give you Moore Bussey Rooney and maybe Briggs. late guess Mendeika.

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Mark, i am 67 years old today, and as a consequence my brain cells are dying at an alarming rate. i can only give you Moore Bussey Rooney and maybe Briggs. late guess Mendeika.

Ya got four. Mendy no. Sammut kicked a few, as did Siejka. Sharp kicked on or two, Andy Kain too.

Oh aye, happy birthday mate!!

A Fev Blog

#17 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

sharps the most recent.....have you forgot that one already old rover ? 

Edited by Deano44, 07 August 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#18 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

I was pondering this earlier after I read the post at work. I only got to seven, hadn't realised Kainy had kicked any.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#19 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

sharps the most recent.....have you forgot that one already old rover ? 

forgot what one Deano

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#20 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

sharp kicking....it was only a week or two ago...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users