Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super championship mega dual reg mania

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

So strange goings on with dr in the championship lately, several teams alleged to have played ineligible players. Dewsbury have been cleared tonight seemingly, rumours others will find out their fate tomorrow, with Batley and Donny the clubs involved apparently. Frankly I hope there's no case to answer even though any points deductions would actually help my club stay in the league. Such a mess.

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

Hopefully 5 clubs get all their points deducted.

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:27 AM

hopefully all dual reg tie ups will be banned....

championship & league one clubs must have reserves/under 21s teams that should be used to plug any first team gaps....and re-establish the loan system

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

I don't mind dual reg if it's used for the younger players but I don't see how it's fair for a dual code international to be playing against part timers.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#5 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

I don't mind dual reg if it's used for the younger players but I don't see how it's fair for a dual code international to be playing against part timers.

It isn't. The solution to all this, as the Gentleman from 'The Times' pointed out on SL Backchat last night, is to bring back the U23 competition. Given that the player costs for this would come out of the salary cap I don't see that happening any time soon, if at all, particularly as this was the basic reason that the comp was scrapped in the first place. We had the largely specious argument that they'd have to cut individual pay, leading to the top players running away to Australia and the Dark Side. Well, they're off to Australia anyway and if the Dark Side wanted our players (not seen much sign of a mass exodus myself) they'd take them, money not being a problem there.

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

hopefully all dual reg tie ups will be banned....

championship & league one clubs must have reserves/under 21s teams that should be used to plug any first team gaps....and re-establish the loan system

what if they can't afford them?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

id be staggered if every club in the league structure can't run a first team and at least a under 21's (reserves)

OLDHAM RLFC

#8 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

id be staggered if every club in the league structure can't run a first team and at least a under 21's (reserves)

It would be hugely expensive to outlying clubs, imagine my team Workington having to pay for travelling to Yorkshire/Lancashire pretty much every week, one week firsts one week ressies, with very little income from resserve matches.

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

It isn't. The solution to all this, as the Gentleman from 'The Times' pointed out on SL Backchat last night, is to bring back the U23 competition. Given that the player costs for this would come out of the salary cap I don't see that happening any time soon, if at all, particularly as this was the basic reason that the comp was scrapped in the first place. We had the largely specious argument that they'd have to cut individual pay, leading to the top players running away to Australia and the Dark Side. Well, they're off to Australia anyway and if the Dark Side wanted our players (not seen much sign of a mass exodus myself) they'd take them, money not being a problem there.

why does it have to come out of the SL salary cap??

the NYC comp in australia is'nt aligned to the NRL cap...

It would be hugely expensive to outlying clubs, imagine my team Workington having to pay for travelling to Yorkshire/Lancashire pretty much every week, one week firsts one week ressies, with very little income from resserve matches.

where are your juniors coming from then?

we need to invest in our kids!!...close to £20m of the new tv deal is for "player development"....use some of it to subsides travel if its a deal breaker between some clubs running reserves and some not!

OLDHAM RLFC

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

quite

economics is the whole point of DR.

it's very easy for people to say clubs should do this and do that when they aren't paying for it.

Keeping it local

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

quite

it's very easy for people to say clubs should do this and do that when they aren't paying for it.

Indeed, and if Workington/Whitehaven hoovered up the players who would otherwise be playing for Wath Brow, Egremeont etc. simply to make up the numbers for a reserve team they didn't want or need, it would have a big effect on the community game.

However, if a so-called elite club (and lets restrict this to the top 12) cannot run a reserve team to back up its first team we have a real problem in the game. Now that we have the 3x8 system Dual Registration has no place in my opinion. It's already made a mockery of the semi-pro game (IMO) and in the new system I think it's unworkable.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#12 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

Dewsbury Rams issued two statements.

31st July: Sam Wood dual-registration statement

5th August: No case to answer following dual-registration inquiry

Edited by Tom Coates, 06 August 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

quite

but we do pay for and more would be willing to pay for it and start attending games again if they felt their clubs where actually their club again and not a after thought or a simply a play thing for the top 12 clubs, the only ones the RFL  cares about, to get their players fit again...

Edited by roughyedspud, 06 August 2014 - 11:07 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

but we do pay for and more would be willing to pay for it and start attending games again if they felt their clubs where actually their club again and not a after thought or a simply a play thing for the top 12 clubs, the RFL only cares abou, to get their players fit again...

on who's behalf are you speaking when you say 'we'? When were you elected?

How would you raise the cash?

I'm a season ticket holder at a championship 1 club and you don't speak for me

Keeping it local

#15 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Nor me, our average crowd is around 700-800 this season, to have paid for a junior side all season from that would have meant a fairly signinficant rise in ticket prices I expect, and probably a drop in attendance. The fact is clubs cant afford them, especially outlying ones. If there was funding then they would do it, simple as that.

#16 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

Indeed, and if Workington/Whitehaven hoovered up the players who would otherwise be playing for Wath Brow, Egremeont etc. simply to make up the numbers for a reserve team they didn't want or need, it would have a big effect on the community game.

However, if a so-called elite club (and lets restrict this to the top 12) cannot run a reserve team to back up its first team we have a real problem in the game. Now that we have the 3x8 system Dual Registration has no place in my opinion. It's already made a mockery of the semi-pro game (IMO) and in the new system I think it's unworkable.

Yeah, fair point with regards to 3 X 8 as would be nonsense for 2 clubs in the middle 8 to be partnered. SL could arguably dual register players to league 1 but not the Championship.

I think it's a tough one with regards to semi pro clubs and reserve teams as currently fringe players at semi-pro clubs are banned from playing. Realistically either they need reserve teams or they need to be able to send fringe players to the NCL

#17 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

lol aaww bless ya....

are you a fan? do you pay your season ticket to watch your team? then you are WE!...THE FANS we do pay!..the more fans that attend the more money our clubs will have...pretty simple really

you've really struggled with simple concepts recently buddy..maybe you should take a break

OLDHAM RLFC

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

lol aaww bless ya....

are you a fan? do you pay your season ticket to watch your team? then you are WE!...THE FANS we do pay!..the more fans that attend the more money our clubs will have...pretty simple really

you've really struggled with simple concepts recently buddy..maybe you should take a break

Perhaps he thinks he pays enough.

But you seem keen to pay - why don't you chip in his share for him. ;)

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

Why does it have to be U23's - what was wrong with A teams?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

lol aaww bless ya....

You say that gates would increase if there were more local players in a reserve team. Can you explain your logic for this claim?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users