• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

lol aaww bless ya....

are you a fan? do you pay your season ticket to watch your team? then you are WE!...THE FANS we do pay!..the more fans that attend the more money our clubs will have...pretty simple really

you've really struggled with simple concepts recently buddy..maybe you should take a break

I'd be a fan whether I paid or not. All sorts of people contribute to the financing of a football club. So more people will go to a club's first team games knowing that the club had a reserve team. People pay to watch the first team and clearly do so in the absence of a reserve team. Please speak for yourself.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

It would be hugely expensive to outlying clubs, imagine my team Workington having to pay for travelling to Yorkshire/Lancashire pretty much every week, one week firsts one week ressies, with very little income from resserve matches.

If they played curtain raisers the reserves could travel on the same bus as the firsts and the coach could watch both games to assess how the young un's were coming on.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

If they played curtain raisers the reserves could travel on the same bus as the firsts and the coach could watch both games to assess how the young un's were coming on.

what if they weren't playing the same team?

you would also still have to pay your players, insure them, and so on.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Jeez, with all the staff clubs carry around these days, how big is the bus going to be ?

Would the first team want to arrive three or four hours before the game ?  Is that good prep ?

Hasn't the first team coach got much to do before a game ?

Why should he be bothered anyway ?  He'll probably get the sack before the youngsters come through.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#25 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,250 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

what if they weren't playing the same team?

you would also still have to pay your players, insure them, and so on.

You could easily structure the league so the fixtures matched. Just gives clubs a bye if they are playing French opposition or if it's a magic or Cup week end. Then instead of the 3 X 8s you can either stop the league after 20-22 games and have top 6 play offs.

Championship 1 may be different as you'd probably want to split the league into 2 regions which may mean northern teams playing each other thrice and southern teams playing in the Conference League South. Not ideal

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Will all clubs be building extra dressing rooms to house the teams ?  Some have got them - many haven't.

We used to do this and stopped because it wasn't practical.

#27 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 668 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

Will clubs who share with football want 2 games on their hollowed turf in 4 hours?

You can bet the soccer clubs, Wigan Athletic, Huddersfield Town and Hull City/Tigers would be up in arms about it.

I do think from next year the 12 SL clubs should utilise their extra central funds to have a reserve team though.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#28 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

How much do people think it costs to run an U20s/U23s reserve side? It's more than you think.

And finding a: people to staff it on a semi-voluntary basis and b: players to commit to a full season is harder than you think.

Seems some people have never looked under the bonnet of a Rugby League club - particularly one running on limited resources/budget.

Untimately, good young (semi) professionals will always need somewhere to play/develop. 

If you start to think of Dual Reg as 'loans, but from the same club' all your bad thoughts will go away:  we've had lads who've had more game time with us than they have with Saints this season, so when Saints recall them, they're effectively borrowing them from us!

Edited by Hornetto, 06 August 2014 - 03:15 PM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#29 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 668 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

If you start to think of Dual Reg as 'loans, but from the same club' all your bad thoughts will go away: we've had lads who've had more game time with us than they have with Saints this season, so when Saints recall them, they're effectively borrowing them from us!

And how does that make you feel watching Rochdale develop these Saints players for a season? A lot of Hornets resources being used to ease the Saints purse strings, and for what? The player goes back to Saints after a few months and the young Rochdale junior left to take his place is totally disillusioned at having had his career path blocked by a DR player.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#30 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

How much do people think it costs to run an U20s/U23s reserve side? It's more than you think.

And finding a: people to staff it on a semi-voluntary basis and b: players to commit to a full season is harder than you think.

Seems some people have never looked under the bonnet of a Rugby League club - particularly one running on limited resources/budget.

Untimately, good young (semi) professionals will always need somewhere to play/develop. 

If you start to think of Dual Reg as 'loans, but from the same club' all your bad thoughts will go away:  we've had lads who've had more game time with us than they have with Saints this season, so when Saints recall them, they're effectively borrowing them from us!

A ballpark figure that I was quoted when i asked this question of a senior club administrator was a minimum of £40K pa. Sad to say but it would be difficult to make a straightforward financial benefit case for running a second team at Championship level.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#31 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

You say that gates would increase if there were more local players in a reserve team. Can you explain your logic for this claim?

i never said no such thing...

but gates will increase next year purely because some thought has actually been put into the champiinship & league 1 instead of it being a after thought....league 1 club are going to be playing every weekend for example..

Edited by roughyedspud, 06 August 2014 - 07:46 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#32 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Its time everyone came clean about what DR is all about.

if its to save SL clubs some cash and then use their DR 'partners' to play fringe players then just let it be known thats what it is.
If its to develop young players who won't get much or even zero first team action, and need regular rugby for their development then just be clear about it
The fans are getting pee'd off with it - I've browsed a numer of forums in the past 2 seasons and I've never seen a set of fans that are happy with their arrangement
There are varying levels of DR going on at different clubs with varying impacts on Championship clubs performances and results. To me, if its not clear what the purpose is then it compromises the whole competition

And next years structure means it cannot contiue in its present format and that 28 day loans with no recall have to be the order of the day. However I can't see that sensible approach happening

#33 Battler

Battler
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

Personally i was never a fan of DR and this farce that involves my club-Batley-proves my point.

Why should SL clubs be able to use lower league clubs to keep there fringe players/players coming back from injury to keep fit thus keeping players that have already signed for lower league clubs on the side lines.

Scrap it now and concentrate on other aspects of the game.For example why has a proffessional club been allowed to play at a ground that allows the away team to get changed in a portakabin that has only 1 shower and where the Physio rub-down tables are outside.

#34 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

The 'Boots 'n All' report on the Cumbrian derby last night said that the difference between the teams was the DR players and the same comment was made by a Rochdale supporter on here about their game against the Crusaders. This surely means that DR is leading to an unbalanced competition with the possibility of at least one club (Whitehaven, Crusaders goose was cooked when they prevaricated too long about dumping Clive Griffiths as coach) being relegated as a result.

An aside - Brian Carney is my official nominee for the Worst TV Presenter of the Year award.

#35 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Personally i was never a fan of DR and this farce that involves my club-Batley-proves my point.

Why should SL clubs be able to use lower league clubs to keep there fringe players/players coming back from injury to keep fit thus keeping players that have already signed for lower league clubs on the side lines.

Scrap it now and concentrate on other aspects of the game.For example why has a proffessional club been allowed to play at a ground that allows the away team to get changed in a portakabin that has only 1 shower and where the Physio rub-down tables are outside.

spot on pal...it annoys us just as much as it appears to annoy everyone else.....(he's on about our whitebank in case anyone wondered lol)

OLDHAM RLFC

#36 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

spot on pal...it annoys us just as much as it appears to annoy everyone else.....(he's on about our whitebank in case anyone wondered lol)

Are there any plans to sort it out yet though. Presume this would stop you from being promoted which looks reasonably likely this year.

#37 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

The boots n all report probably missed out that peter lupton was the official man of the match, my motm was Alex Szostak, neither were dr. and of the 4 dr players on show 2 (farrell and murphy) have basically been on a season long loan. Most games town have had 2 at most, Farrell and Murphy.

#38 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

Are there any plans to sort it out yet though. Presume this would stop you from being promoted which looks reasonably likely this year.

some work has actually been done to the plumbing into the ground...whether its made a difference i don't know....

but theres a very strong rumour we are going back to boundary park next season

OLDHAM RLFC

#39 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

A ballpark figure that I was quoted when i asked this question of a senior club administrator was a minimum of £40K pa. Sad to say but it would be difficult to make a straightforward financial benefit case for running a second team at Championship level.

At Dewsbury ?  No ground hire costs ?  Bit of profit from the bar sales ?  There are going to be clubs who'd need to pay out a whole lot more than that.......

#40 Battler

Battler
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

To be honest mate i wasn't on about Whitebank as i have never been lol.

Didn't want to mention Sheffield Eagles's Owlerton Stadium but now you have made me lmao.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users