Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super championship mega dual reg mania

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

well it was one or the other wasn't it....lol

i heard someone say that owlerton was worse than whitebank....but i dismissed it as impossible ;)

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#42 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

To be honest mate i wasn't on about Whitebank as i have never been lol.

Didn't want to mention Sheffield Eagles's Owlerton Stadium but now you have made me lmao.

Yes - and there was that ground where the players were given a bucket to pee into.  Now where was that ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#43 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

hahaha really?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#44 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

hahaha really?

Really.

I actually thought Whitebank's changing facilities weren't too bad when they were new but they do seem to have .... er .... deteriorated over the years.

Edited by Griff, 07 August 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#45 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

i never said no such thing...

So what did: "but we do pay for and more would be willing to pay for it and start attending games again if they felt their clubs where actually their club again and not a after thought or a simply a play thing for the top 12 clubs, the only ones the RFL  cares about, to get their players fit again..."  actually mean then?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

At Dewsbury ?  No ground hire costs ?  Bit of profit from the bar sales ?  There are going to be clubs who'd need to pay out a whole lot more than that.......

How do you understand the use of the word "minimum" Griff?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,472 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Yes - and there was that ground where the players were given a bucket to pee into.  Now where was that ?

did they recycle it in the club bar?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#48 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

How do you understand the use of the word "minimum" Griff?

Just trying to establish your criteria.   I'm still trying.............

#49 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Where are you trying to go with this Griff? I passed on a comment from a club official that in his view this would be the minimum cost at his club. What's your issue?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#50 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Where are you trying to go with this Griff? I passed on a comment from a club official that in his view this would be the minimum cost at his club. What's your issue?

#51 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

well it was one or the other wasn't it....lol

i heard someone say that owlerton was worse than whitebank....but i dismissed it as impossible ;)

At least in Whitebank we could get into an inside bar for a drink before the game where our elderly fans could sit down! 46 Crusaders fans left Owlerton on the final whistle and made straight to the nearest pub!!

#52 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

At least in Whitebank we could get into an inside bar for a drink before the game where our elderly fans could sit down! 46 Crusaders fans left Owlerton on the final whistle and made straight to the nearest pub!!

We should play all our games away.  Then we might win some.

Meanwhile - watch out for that alchol dependency. ;)

#53 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

And how does that make you feel watching Rochdale develop these Saints players for a season? A lot of Hornets resources being used to ease the Saints purse strings, and for what? The player goes back to Saints after a few months and the young Rochdale junior left to take his place is totally disillusioned at having had his career path blocked by a DR player.

Well, we're bringing through Rochdale lads AND making DR work for us... so it works for us.

We had a couple of DR players last season who signed for us this season as 'ours'. so it works both ways if you're prepared to find a way to make it work. A coach/club will always have to find ways to keep players happy/engaged.

But as we've had much the same DR guys on a regular basis, it 'feels' ok to me.

But I've watched a lot of NSW Cup, so I'm a bit more comfortable with the concept of a partner club.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#54 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

But I've watched a lot of NSW Cup, so I'm a bit more comfortable with the concept of a partner club.

And, presumably, more comfortable without promotion or relegation.

#55 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Promotion and relegation is so deeply ingrained in British sporting culture that people get a bit hung-up on it. If we have it, all good. If a competition doesn't have it, being the best you can be in the competition you're in is no less valid a goal.

But we can only play within the structures we have, so people can either rail against them and expend a whole load of energy hating the thing we purport to love, or just get behind their club/team - regardless of where they get their players from - and support them to be as good as they can be.

If people opened their minds to the fact that 'the way we've always done things' might not be the best way to actually do things, the world becomes a more interesting place. Indeed, an awful lot of Rugby League people do tend to have the debilitating habit of walking backwards into the future.

Edited by Hornetto, 11 August 2014 - 10:33 AM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#56 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

If they played curtain raisers the reserves could travel on the same bus as the firsts and the coach could watch both games to assess how the young un's were coming on.

I see your logic bearman but thats going to be a cramped bus with 2 squads, 2 coaching teams and associated kit. Not sure many first team squads would be too chuffed with the scenario, earlier start to catch the bus (2hrs+?) for the reserves curtain raiser. You'd also run into issues with changing facilities at many grounds.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#57 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

Promotion and relegation is so deeply ingrained in British sporting culture that people get a bit hung-up on it. If we have it, all good. If a competition doesn't have it, being the best you can be in the competition you're in is no less valid a goal.

But we can only play within the structures we have, so people can either rail against them and expend a whole load of energy hating the thing we purport to love, or just get behind their club/team - regardless of where they get their players from - and support them to be as good as they can be.

If people opened their minds to the fact that 'the way we've always done things' might not be the best way to actually do things, the world becomes a more interesting place. Indeed, an awful lot of Rugby League people do tend to have the debilitating habit of walking backwards into the future.

I'm not against p+r so long as the promoted teams can afford it.

I just don't think that you can prepare for being promoted by being in Div 2.  Or even the new-fangled Div 1½.