NRL - AFL - Melbourne

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

An article written by a St George Dragons / Collingwood Magpies fan about winning Melbourne over to Rugby League.

I enjoyed reading it B)  Winning Melbourne

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

An article written by a St George Dragons / Collingwood Magpies fan about winning Melbourne over to Rugby League.

I enjoyed reading it B)  Winning Melbourne

Thanks for the link; an excellent and interesting read.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

Great read mate thanks for that. This week found a German who lives 60km away in Bremen who is a big Melbourne Storm fan!

#4 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,872 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

As someone who has never followed Aussie Rules or it's history, I do give it a look now and then to see if I can 'get it'.

I watched ten minutes last night when Richmond played some other team.

I did try once more to find the pattern and quality in the game.

I again struggled.

I feel it is probably the over large amount of randomness and the rushed, scrappy nature of it.

The real killer though for me is the fact that for a game that's a bit like rugby all the points come from kicks at goal, often from miles out.

This is not having a go, 

I'm all for sport in many forms.

Time is limited though and there's lots to do so something has to give.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#5 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Always watch the AFL highlights show on Eurosport, and I actually saw a game in Sydney in 2012. I found it easier to follow at the ground, probably because of the size of the pitch and with all the kicking that goes on. One of RL's strengths, or possibly weaknesses depending on how you view it, is it's perfect for TV. The one thing that does strike me on AFL, and I guess this comes from being a RL fan, is the ball handling. For what handling there is, it's pretty abysmal. Some of the goal kicking can be pretty spectacular though.

It always appears though, comparing the AFL and NRL in Sydney, that the AFL fans are more inclined to actually go to the match. I think the Swans average over 30,000. Yet Sydney RL fans don't appear to need much encouragement to stay at home and watch on TV. 

#6 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Tried watching and playing Aussie Rules and just not for me. Handling is pretty poor I think. But the kicking is very skillful and can see why Cooper Cronk works alot with AFL Teams and the benefits it brings. Also the jumping and athleticism is something that League can learn from and again can see the AFL influence on Slater and others. NRL Grounds in Sydney for me are poor both regards to watching and facilities. ANZ Stadium too far away and 30,000 in 80,000 Stadium has no atmosphere plus the Transport System in Sydney is poor. Melbourne Stadiums are way better and easy to get to by foot or by public Transport. AAMI is perfect for The Storm and you are Close to the Action. Sydney as a City did Little to impress me regarding Sports Venues, and getting around. I can see why many watch on TV as it is just easier and less hassle.

#7 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

I think all the AFL teams in Melbourne play their games out of 2 grounds, which I believe are pretty central, which gives them an advantage. In Sydney, I thought the SFS was a good ground for RL, but there's no trains out that way. As LRL says, ANZ is just too big for most of the games they play there. The suburban grounds I saw left a fair bit to be desired.

I also think the NRL are also still too much tied down by the TV contract. Monday night games are a good example. TV loves them but the crowds are generally poor. The AFL tried Sunday night games this year for TV, and after a 'disappointing' crowd of 40,000 they canned them. Even if the NRL wanted to change time slots, they can't. 

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

I know the ANZ stadium needs to pay itself off, just like the new Wembley, but the sooner the Sydney NRL clubs that play there can go back to playing proper home games the better.

As for AFL, I'm one of the many that enjoyed the novelty when it was shown, back in the early days of Channel 4, along with Sumo and Kabaddi, but the interest soon palled. They have a lot to teach RL about taking high balls and kicking, but the sport as a whole doesn't grip for very long.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

I know the ANZ stadium needs to pay itself off, just like the new Wembley, but the sooner the Sydney NRL clubs that play there can go back to playing proper home games the better.

It's not going to happen anytime soon. Clubs get paid a fair amount to play there, and in the case of a club like the Bulldogs, they'd be able to get far bigger crowds there than they ever could at somewhere like Belmore. 

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

It's not going to happen anytime soon. Clubs get paid a fair amount to play there, and in the case of a club like the Bulldogs, they'd be able to get far bigger crowds there than they ever could at somewhere like Belmore. 

I know, wishful thinking. But it takes something away from the NRL, having matches in this big impersonal bowl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users