Participation

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Taken from the Community Board minutes of July 2014..........................

COMMUNITY GAME STRATEGY

The meeting considered the following within the report and the Community Board members were asked to note:

 The June 2014 Active People result and that the RFL Executives continue with the existing agreed plans to increase the numbers on Active People.

 The outcomes of the Sport England first six months review of 2014 and that RFL Executives implement the necessary improvements to be made within the identified timescales.

 The progress against the agreed targets contained within the Community Game Scorecard 2014.

 The work of the RFL Executives at present to ensure continued government funding into Rugby League and into the future.

Active People Result

The Board noted that the Active People Survey (APS) results for June 2014 had recently been released and is 45,900.

The Active People measure remains the key performance indicator in the RFL’s contract with Sport England. It is however, very disappointing to see a decrease (down from 53,500).

The RFL met with Sport England in April to forecast the June result, based on RFL management data and Sport England insight. The RFL forecasted that the APS rate for April 2013 to April 2014 (mid-year reading) would fall somewhere between 53,000 to 58,000 and Sport England estimated it would either fall by 500 or rise by up to 4,500. The prediction took into consideration; playing numbers, regularity data and fixture completion information across Community clubs, education and Play Touch Rugby League. It also considered wider participation influencers such as the weather during the period. All this pointed towards either no significant change (from 53,500) or a slight increase.

The RFL Year 2 target is 56,100 and will cover the period October 2013 to October 2014 which will be released in December 2014. The result just released means that Sport England has now classed Rugby League as “at risk” of not achieving its Year 2 target although it is supportive of its methodology.

The Board noted the outcome of the Active People result and that the RFL Executives are to continue with the existing plans to increase the numbers on Active People.

Six monthly Review Meeting with Sport England

Every six months the RFL has to meet with Sport England to review the progress being made to encourage more people to play Rugby League. At the most recent meeting, they particularly noted the excellent progress made on Play Touch Rugby League as well as a significantly improved offer for those at Colleges and Universities. They also noted considerable improvements in areas which had previously been perceived as ‘weak’; such as local area planning and the club offer, which hopefully will now lead to increases in participation. The targets on satellite clubs had been exceeded.

Overall, they recognised the considerable efforts undertaken by the volunteers and paid staff to develop the sport and still believe the RFL plan is the best positioned to increase the numbers of people playing Rugby League.

Sport England were also reassured on the progress made in the talent area as all agreed targets had been achieved. They noted the ongoing debate with the RFL on the Player Production and Youth Development System and the direction proposed was felt to be very much in line with what Sport England wanted to see in the area of talent development.

Four areas were agreed for organisational improvement over the next 6-12 months.

 Put people first. The RFL should continue to invest time, energy and resources into improving the skills, knowledge and understanding of RFL staff and volunteers to make them better at their job. A high performing workforce is crucial to the successful delivery of the plan.

 Apply insight. The RFL should analyse the findings of Stage 1 of the Let’s Talk Rugby League campaign to refresh existing insight into the sport and apply the new knowledge to develop existing offers. The insight will also inform the journey to embed a participant centred approach across the Rugby League network.

 Focus on customer experience. Review how “place” and “people” influence a participants’ experience of the sport.

 Continuous improvement. Utilise the HPNGB model as a self-improvement tool.

The Board noted the outcomes of the Sport England review and supported the RFL Executives to implement the necessary improvements within the identified timescales.

Edited by LordCharles, 06 August 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#2 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

So a decrease then as I have been saying, where is the 16% rise in 16-18 year olds and 52% in open age when there appears a decrease of 8,000, where do the 250,000 come from it would be good to have a break down

Change to summer to increase participation! Sorry I have mentioned it again please don't let the thread get side tracked again

#3 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

So a decrease then as I have been saying, where is the 16% rise in 16-18 year olds and 52% in open age when there appears a decrease of 8,000, where do the 250,000 come from it would be good to have a break down

Change to summer to increase participation! Sorry I have mentioned it again please don't let the thread get side tracked again

Amazingly you will find this figure will increase considerably.

45,900 is the figure from June 2014.

Mr Gent has said recently that they have seen increases of 16% and 52% in certain areas, as such I anticipate the Year 2 target figure for Oct 13 - Oct 14 of 56,100 participants will be miraculously achieved when the figures are again released for Year 2 as a whole in December this year.

Just goes to show what you can achieve by selling Touch RL Licences to clubs up and down the country!!!

What it does not address is the decline in participants within the competitive playing leagues.

Edited by LordCharles, 06 August 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#4 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Funny I spoke to the Chairman of our local youth league and he is involved with the Open Age on this only this morning and he cannot tell me where any Touch Leagues are in our area, he thinks the pro clubs are doing something but not sure, so they have not contacted the local league.
I know what it is all this other people not involved with RL are having these massive festivals in Touch Rugby, and getting the phone call from SE, please tell us where they are so we can expand the amateur game and get some fixtures played

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I think you're clutching at straws here. There are loads of bona fide touch leagues going on which appear to be thriving.

Give credit where it's due.

#6 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

I think any club that has a touch licence has an area spanning an 8 mile radius, we have one at our club and I know of at least 2 more, so they are out there.

#7 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

I think you're clutching at straws here. There are loads of bona fide touch leagues going on which appear to be thriving.

Give credit where it's due.

Sorry Pottsy when the league chairman knows nothing about them I can only point that out, we have teams at all age groups and have never heard of a touch licence, so the message ain't got over to our area or should I say our club our club are possibly not one of the thought about clubs so if there is an 8 mile radius it may have gone to other clubs

#8 Roy Haggerty

Roy Haggerty
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

The question is : is our decline an isolated case for our sport, or are all sports suffering. I do think there are a lot of factors in the modern economy which mitigate against team sports in particular, including: the widespread return of 6-day working weeks, greater mobility/transience of playing-age workers, and a move from predictable salaried weekly employment to unpredictable hours-based employment. Rugby League in particular is vulnerable to demographic changes which impact on working class young men, and this is the group most likely to be impacted by the above changes.

#9 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

The question is : is our decline an isolated case for our sport, or are all sports suffering. I do think there are a lot of factors in the modern economy which mitigate against team sports in particular, including: the widespread return of 6-day working weeks, greater mobility/transience of playing-age workers, and a move from predictable salaried weekly employment to unpredictable hours-based employment. Rugby League in particular is vulnerable to demographic changes which impact on working class young men, and this is the group most likely to be impacted by the above changes.

You've come to the wrong place to start throwing facts and informed opinion around!

I do agree though. It's a complex issue.

I'll also throw in a personal opinion based on what I think is a cultural shift: young lads nowadays aren't as committed as they may have been 10-15 years ago and, on any given weekend, if something comes up that they fancy more than playing rugby (or whatever) they'll take it. Likewise, if they're feeling a bit fragile on Saturday morning then they'll think nothing of texting the coach/captain or simply not showing up.

This isn't exclusive to rugby league, nor is it exclusive to summer sport, it's unfortunately a change in habits/attitudes that we can do little to influence.

#10 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

You've come to the wrong place to start throwing facts and informed opinion around!

I'll also throw in a personal opinion based on what I think is a cultural shift: young lads nowadays aren't as committed as they may have been 10-15 years ago and, on any given weekend, if something comes up that they fancy more than playing rugby (or whatever) they'll take it. Likewise, if they're feeling a bit fragile on Saturday morning then they'll think nothing of texting the coach/captain or simply not showing up.

This isn't exclusive to rugby league, nor is it exclusive to summer sport, it's unfortunately a change in habits/attitudes that we can do little to influence.

A work colleague of mine has reported the same problems with cricket

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

Maybe they need to switch to a "traditional" winter season where there are fewer distractions ;)

#12 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

There has also been a big rise in general 'keeping fit' or going to the gym.  No longer play sports to keep fit when you can pump iron....or do a spin class...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#13 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

or do a spin class

The RFL hold at least one of those a day!!

Edited by LordCharles, 07 August 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Numbers participating in organised football are in decline.  Quite a few clubs high up in the pyramid are struggling to put out reserves or youth teams.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

The problem is we're trying to run the same number of clubs with fewer players so games don't go ahead

#16 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

The problem is we're trying to run the same number of clubs with fewer players so games don't go ahead

How do you come to that conclusion when according to the RFL participation is on the increase?

#17 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

How do you come to that conclusion when according to the RFL participation is on the increase?

The game lost 40% of it's players the last 3 seasons of winter. Participation has roughly levelled out since the switch to summer but there have been issues mainly to do with players playing 2 overlapping seasons. There has also been a shift away from players playing for A teams at NCL clubs and towards them playing for smaller clubs.

#18 Defender1

Defender1
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

The game lost 40% of it's players the last 3 seasons of winter. Participation has roughly levelled out since the switch to summer but there have been issues mainly to do with players playing 2 overlapping seasons. There has also been a shift away from players playing for A teams at NCL clubs and towards them playing for smaller clubs.

Sorry Bowes don't think you are right with this one, also I know they are relaxing it but NCL clubs as part of the criteria must have an A team as well as junior teams.
You are the first to say we should have one set of rules so why now is this OK to break the rules

#19 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Sorry Bowes don't think you are right with this one, also I know they are relaxing it but NCL clubs as part of the criteria must have an A team as well as junior teams.
You are the first to say we should have one set of rules so why now is this OK to break the rules

I'm not saying it's right or wrong just describing the facts on the ground. Many NCL clubs have lost their A teams but some smaller clubs have gained a lot

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

Where do you get that figure from?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users