Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Participation

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Sorry Bowes don't think you are right with this one, also I know they are relaxing it but NCL clubs as part of the criteria must have an A team as well as junior teams.
You are the first to say we should have one set of rules so why now is this OK to break the rules

I've been looking at a few old BARLA books and the leagues/divisions before the NCL was formed and afterwards, there is a notable decline in pub teams around the area where NCL clubs are located.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#22 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

I've been looking at a few old BARLA books and the leagues/divisions before the NCL was formed and afterwards, there is a notable decline in pub teams around the area where NCL clubs are located.

The decline of pub teams is much more to do with the decline of pubs - people just don't spend anywhere near as much time in them any more. Some readers will know the old east Leeds circuit of pubs, where there were at least a dozen and anything up to about twenty within a square mile or so (see the old clubs thread for some of these, but off the top of my head, the Waterloo, Black Dog, Spring Close, Hampton, Cross Green, Fisherman's Hut, Slip Inn, Prospect/Richmond, Yew Tree). Not to mention the social clubs round there such as East Leeds and others I can't remember.

A lot of these pubs had RL teams, nowadays most of them don't exist any more. The business wasn't there to support them, never mind enough people being regular enough to fill a sports team. The city centre has expanded, land got redeveloped, the people are different, and people do different things, clubs amalgamated or disappeared. It's a quarter of a century since East Leeds and Yew Tree merged, change has been going longer than that.

#23 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,040 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

York it's most noticeable as they once had a Sunday league there