Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dale Bid for Stadium

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

It's true that there are a number of Dale supporters that would like to see Hornets fail. Unfortunately for them though, unlike Hornets, the Dale is not a Co-op and so they have very little influence on the BOD, and I don't think Mr Dunphy or the rest of the board are idiots.

Of course there are plenty of Dale supporters who would like to see Hornets fail. And we all know the reasons for that are not some anti RL feeling or like some spoilt child suddenly having to share a bedroom. It is due to historical financial problems that have stemmed from Hornets not paying their way, the subsequent financial knock on effect that has had on us, and allowing a shareholding within the stadium to fall into a third party. Of course, 95% of that is down to the old Hornets. I genuinely think that despite it being a bumpy ride at times, had the old Hornets been run like the current Hornets the vast majority of any ill feeling would never have been there in the first place. I said it before, but I think at times there is a real head in the sand mentality as to the impact the running of the old Hornets has had on the football club and the finances of the stadium.

I'd like to think that at Dale, we have a support base that deals with financial reality more than any the club in the country. We know that in footballing terms we are competing at a level where our income from our fanbase is probably smaller anyone else in the division (much like yourselves). We are very fortunate to be as well run as we are, and having a genius like Keith Hill in charge has ensured that we have a conveyor belt of young talent coming through that brings much needed income into the club. Without it, we'd be fighting it out with Stockport in the Conference North. But in doing so, there's an awareness that every penny is crucial, and in that there is a recognition that running the stadium on our own would be more difficult. If Hornets had not reformed, there would have been a need to find a replacement club to help with the running of the stadium. Even the biggest of the "kick them out" brigade would acknowledge that.

It is clear the current situation is not working. The level of debt is unsustainable in the current format, and something has to give. The RFL aren't going to put any money in, and there's too many problems in this town as it is to expect the council to do likewise. So who's going to sort it out? The alternative to us taking over the stadium and taking the responsibility for the debts would be to let the Stadium Company go into administration.If it was to get to that stage, there'd be no fairy godmother waiting in the wings, it would either be someone buying it for houses or it would be us purchasing the stadium that way. In many ways, it'd be a gamble but this could even work out cheaper for ourselves to head down that way.

But it would be a gamble. Which brings me back to the question I asked originally. If there was an entitlement for a rent paying Hornets to remain at Spotland, what would be the problem with the stadium being owned 100% by ourselves? Why would we put the rent up to unaffordable level when your continued presence at Spotland would only be to our advantage?

Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

#22 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

The fact of the matter remains. Spotland was a tip worth nothing, the Athletics Ground was a prime piece of real estate the sale of which had the effect of transforming Spotland into a modern compact shared stadium. Why would the sport of rugby league not retain what is rightfully theirs, unless you were talking in terms of 2.2 million.

The old Hornets for some reason found themselves in a position that they were not paying a fair share in the equation of stadium usage compared to soccer.

Hornets would not last more than five years as tenants. The Co-operative style would not survive a more volatile situation with variable rents and weeks on the road.

I personally worry about the sustainability of not just Hornets but Oldham and Swinton as semi pro clubs and feel the amateur game will be the remains of the game in these areas in years to come.

#23 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

You right there Doug. Their agenda is solely to remove Hornets from the stadium. After yesterday's result I would have thought any spare dosh they have would be better spent on the pitch than off it.

I'm sorry TS and Larry but I just cannot believe my eyes at some of the things you have posted.

TS please point me in the direction of the agenda to remove Hornets from Spotland. Is it something Chris Dunphy has said, like a while ago Dale would like to take over Hornets.

Have I missed something in the Observer or Rochdale Online, have you sat in on meetings with the stadium company.

To the small number of Dale and Hornets fans who don't like each other, Dale and Hornets NEED EACH OTHER at Spotland.

And Rochdale as a town need both clubs.

Edited by ArthurDaley, 12 August 2014 - 06:08 PM.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#24 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Well said Arthur.

#25 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

At the risk of being an echo - read the football message board. Plenty of football club fans would like to see the back of us. The manager of the football club would like to see the back of us and makes that fact pretty plain. The football club directors are obviously smart enough not to go around spouting this in public, but behind the scenes ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 12 August 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#26 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

At the risk of being an echo - read the football message board. Plenty of football club fans would like to see the back of us. The manager of the football club would like to see the back of us and makes that fact pretty plain. ?

Good grief, words nearly fail me, if you had been on the Dale message board you would have seen I post a lot more on the Dale board than I do on here.

At the risk of sounding like an echo, Where is the agenda you posted about.

The football club directors are obviously smart enough not to go around spouting this in public, but behind the scenes. So what do you know about it then.

How on earth are about a dozen Dale fans going to get Hornets thrown out of Spotland.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#27 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

The question remains why would the sport of rugby league surrender a share of an asset on behalf of one of their longest established clubs.

#28 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Just a couple of thoughts.

I personally just can't see how a few anti Hornets posts by a minority of Dale fans would affect any decision by the Dale board. Hornets pay rent, the soccer club are not so flush with money that they'd throw that income away. 

Hornets are good for the Dale, and believe it or not but the Dale are good for Hornets, and we're both good for the Town.

I honestly can't see the RFL selling their share without covenants and agreements protecting us.

Edited by PooingDog, 12 August 2014 - 07:46 PM.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#29 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Just a couple of thoughts.

I personally just can't see how a few anti Hornets posts by a minority of Dale fans would affect any decision by the Dale board. Hornets pay rent, the soccer club are not so flush with money that they'd throw that income away. 

Hornets are good for the Dale, and believe it or not but the Dale are good for Hornets, and we're both good for the Town.

I honestly can't see the RFL selling their share without covenants and agreements protecting us.

I trust the RFL slightly more than I trust the football club, but only slightly.

#30 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

"The question remains why would the sport of rugby league surrender a share of an asset on behalf of one of their longest established clubs. "

The club is not one of the league's 'longest established'.  That club died of debt. There is a new club which has never had any ownership of the stadium and has been a tenant at Spotland throughout its existence.

Is the rugby league, as part owner, willing to invest money in the up-keep and further development of the stadium?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users