Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Expanded World Club Championship

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

For those who didn't watch boots n all, an announcement is imminent and the expanded comp has been agreed for next year.

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

please make it happen

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

Not really a fan of this 1st v 1st 2nd v 2nd 3rd v 3rd concept, but I suppose 3 games are better than one.
Hopefully it's a stepping stone to an actual expanded tournament.
Posted Image

#4 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

Ian Lenaghan was pressed on this on Rugby League Xtra last Thursday and the suggestion was that a three team tournament was coming.

#5 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

the best thing about this is the team finishing top is guaranteed a place so well worth making the effort.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

its not really a expanded WCC though is it....2v2 & 3v3 has nothing to do with the WCC...

A expanded WCC would be the NRL winners v ESL runners up & ESL winners v NRL runners up...then a final...but thats way too simple...

also its telling that the convoluted version of the WCC will only happen when we host it...the aussies host a simple winner v winner 1 game WCC...whys that? cos they know the aussies don't fall for convoluted ####!!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,304 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

Sounds like good news!

#8 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

Not really a fan of this 1st v 1st 2nd v 2nd 3rd v 3rd concept, but I suppose 3 games are better than one.
Hopefully it's a stepping stone to an actual expanded tournament.

And unless things have changed, it won't be 2v2 and 3v3, as the NRL are sending whichever clubs fancy the trip - Souths and Brisbane last I saw.

I thought the whole segment on Boots n All was a bit odd actually. A breathless announcement to tell us that it hadn't been officially agreed on yet and an official announcement would be a few weeks away. 

#9 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Clubs no doubt trying to line their pockets again... when are we ever going to learn that internationals are the way forward to develop the game rather than convulted rubbish like this? Clearly we haven't learned anything from 2013...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

Clubs no doubt trying to line their pockets again... when are we ever going to learn that internationals are the way forward to develop the game rather than convulted rubbish like this? Clearly we haven't learned anything from 2013...

Quite.

An expanded WCC isn't a bad idea, it's quite a good one presuming the format isn't bobbins.  Quite how it'll fit into the season is something they'll need to work through.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

I don't think it's a case of one or the other here. It's not like they could bang done internationals in place of this as it's on the same weekend as the WCC already is (which is important to the RL calendar).
Posted Image

#12 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Not sure an expanded WCC is what's required unless it's at the end of the season which would obviously impact on the few internationals we already have.

This is more the WCC plus a couple of other 'glamour' ties which I'm OK with. Anything that requires more than one round is going to require an extended stay by one set of teams or the other and will then muck up either league's schedule, more than likely SL.

If both season's started and ended at the same time, I'd be all for a two week tournament at the start of the year but that's not likely to happen.

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

And unless things have changed, it won't be 2v2 and 3v3, as the NRL are sending whichever clubs fancy the trip - Souths and Brisbane last I saw.

I thought the whole segment on Boots n All was a bit odd actually. A breathless announcement to tell us that it hadn't been officially agreed on yet and an official announcement would be a few weeks away. 

yep...and wigan & leeds are gonna be playing to no matter what..........Lenaghan & hetherington have played a blinder here

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#14 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

Indeed, it is a poor idea, with a dreadful format that takes us further away from what we should be doing ie reducing fixtures to play more internationals

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hopefully the venues will be announced soon. Hong Kong, Dubai, Tokyo, LA:

That way we know there'll be one match on a rainy February night in front of 15k at the SL champions home ground.

A Fev Blog

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,304 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Anyone actually know the details, or just assuming that as its rugby league, it must be wrong?

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

I hope it includes teams that are based on merit - like finishing top as mentioned - and not tokenistic inclusions of Catalan or Leeds or Wigan just because they were pushing the idea or are forrin.

The NRL will just do what they want.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

It sounds like just an expanded preseason series of exhibition matches.

As Thirteenthman said a couple of NRL teams said they would make up the numbers in an expanded format of the game.

http://www.smh.com.a...0705-zswzp.html

Edited by boxhead, 07 August 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#19 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

i think international club competition has huge potential. 

in fact rather than the pretty pointless top 8 where most of the positions will be decided early and there will be dead rubbers, we could have had a longer more meaningful play-offs (1 game and a final isnt a play-off series worthy of the name) and a real extended WCC without impacting on the international game.

Personally i think we should move towards amalgamating the two leagues with the NRL and SL becoming two conferences of the same competition and the winner being a true World Champion.

This 'challenge' that we are seeing is a bit of a proof of concept. It seems quite half-hearted to me. Im not sure that a series of friendlies will prove the attraction of a meaningful comp.

Edited by scotchy, 07 August 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#20 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

i think international club competition has huge potential. 

in fact rather than the pretty pointless top 8 where most of the positions will be decided early and there will be dead rubbers, we could have had a longer more meaningful play-offs (1 game and a final isnt a play-off series worthy of the name) and a real extended WCC without impacting on the international game.

Personally i think we should move towards amalgamating the two leagues with the NRL and SL becoming two conferences of the same competition and the winner being a true World Champion.

This 'challenge' that we are seeing is a bit of a proof of concept. It seems quite half-hearted to me. Im not sure that a series of friendlies will prove the attraction of a meaningful comp.

The only problem with this idea is motivating the NRL Clubs and fans to embrace it as a competitive idea.

The NRL is run on a different beat than SL with more money and talent spread throughout the NRL.