- - - - -

Is Jarryd Hayne the best player in NRL?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

The 100 players representing all 16 NRL clubs who voted anonymously in the annual Rugby League Week magazine poll picked Jarryd Hayne as the best player in the game.

There's no doubting he's had a good season, SuperCoach folk will know how useful he's been at bringing in the points.

Best in the game?

What do you reckon?

Between them these 100 players voted like this:

Jarryd Hayne 30

Johnathan Thurston 21

Greg Inglis 18

Cameron Smith 16

Daly Cherry-Evans 5

Sam Burgess 3

Kieran Foran 3

Others 4

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

Way too inconsistant for me. When he is good, he is very good but often he goes missing when the pressure is on. Thats the difference for me between somebody like Cam Smith and many others. Smith rarely have a game that you dont notice him or can say they have had a bad game. I cant think of too many games where Cam Smith has been poor or has not done much work. Its why he is classed by many as a future immortal and Hayne not for me.

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

If Hayne was ever going to win this I reckon it was this season - he has been more consistent than previously.

He's also been integral to Blues winning the Origin Series.

Maybe too there was a feeling somebody else should win it rather than ever-professional and top class players with future legend status written all through them like Cam Smith and Johnathan Thurston. You could give the accolade to them almost every season.

The other one to feature in the list high up is Greg Inglis and as good as he is and can be, he's had an up and down season so it would have been a shock to me if he'd won it

#4 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Way too inconsistant for me. When he is good, he is very good but often he goes missing when the pressure is on. Thats the difference for me between somebody like Cam Smith and many others. Smith rarely have a game that you dont notice him or can say they have had a bad game. I cant think of too many games where Cam Smith has been poor or has not done much work. Its why he is classed by many as a future immortal and Hayne not for me.

Agreed. Hayne's an exceptional player when he's in form. Unfortunately, before this year I think 2009 was the last time he had a really good season. But I can see why the players would vote for him based on his performances this year. 

#5 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

This is the age old debate about how you consider a player to be the best in the world. Do you look for individual brilliance or someone whose play is essential to a team performing to its full ability?

Personally I think a mixture of the two is what should be looked for. I'd go for Cooper Cronk (can't belive he didn't get a single vote!) followed closely by Kieran Foran.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#6 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

I agree with you about Cronk totally underrated. Sad thing for him is he missed 5 or 6 rounds and probably why not got to many votes

#7 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Storm with Coops has proved to be a lot better than Storm without him

#8 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

I agree with you about Cronk totally underrated. Sad thing for him is he missed 5 or 6 rounds and probably why not got to many votes

I also get the impression he is not popular with a lot of players and is sometimes perceived as arrogant and self-centred.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#9 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

I also get the impression he is not popular with a lot of players and is sometimes perceived as arrogant and self-centred. 

I have met and talked with Cooper albeit a few years ago here while he was on a World Club Challenge visit to the UK and found him the easiest and most friendly of the group of Storm players I was sitting with to talk to.

He was interested in the club he was visiting and was a good conversationalist.

I didn't see him as either of those two things.

#10 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

I have also talked to Cooper as well as Billy and they are both very open People who show interest in what you say. He came across as intelligent and easy going. On interviews he Comes across as relaxed and a Team Player but also somebody who pushes himself to the Limit and Looks to go the extra metre just to be a better Player. From what I hear when he signed for the Storm he had been classed too small by others and written off. He was way off being the Player he would become. It took many extra hours in Training and in other ways to get where he is. He didnt possess the Talent automatically and has had to work extra hard. Self driven and determined.  I cant see where you get Arrogant and Self centered from. People talk about Smith being a great Coach in future. I would say the same about Cronk who has a inherited alot of traits that Bellamy has and is a very intelligent and knowledgable Rugby Person who I think could easily be a NRL Coach later.

#11 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

He does show signs of being a natural leader.

He's a good communicator and is a driven character.

Despite the unpredictable nature of 'who makes a good coach' I could see him progressing that way.

#12 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:38 AM

Come on My storm Friends it's time to share some of the spotlight for a season at least after a decade of complete shut out for best this and best that (tongue in cheek folks tongue in cheek).

Agree with the measure.

Career wise it is not Jarrod.

2014 is Jarods, imagine if he played in Melbourne at center.....that would be a horror show.

Edited by mt smart, 09 August 2014 - 01:38 AM.

#13 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

Sam Burgess has to be higher surely,he's destroying packs this season and playing 70+ mins every game.Top of the ladder Manly couldn't handle him yesterday on his return from injury.

#14 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Sam Burgess is the best forward by a mile. His stats are unreal.

Hayne at his best is the best IMO. But his best is probably every 2 games. Let's say Hayne at his best is a 10. Smith at his best is a 9.5. Smith is at his best 9 out of 10 games.

So it's hard to judge. In a one off game who would I have? I'm not sure. Over a season definitely Smith.

#15 OzWelsh

OzWelsh
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

I'm immensely biased in favour of halfbacks and No.9's in this, yes fullbacks are like extra halfbacks nowadays but the fact is they're not halfbacks.  Cameron Smith is the best around, with J Thurston 2nd; then C Cronk, R Farah, D Cherry-Evans...

Besides, the best all-round fullback IMO is G Inglis.

Edited by OzWelsh, 27 August 2014 - 10:02 PM.

Cronulla Sharks for the Premiership in 2015.

#16 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

The stats this year say Hayne is the best performing fullback of 2014.

Of course stats aren't the full story but they are a good measure - that's why they are called stats ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users