TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury 38 Rochdale 20 - discussion, report, highlights

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Thought the crowd was poor yesterday, looked more v barrow. Dissapointing how despite the improvements on and off the field, people of dewsbury are not giving the club more backing. Should be getting gates of over 1,000 at worst but likes already been said, we ain't doing enough to get into the publics faces. We need to be ramming that message to the dewsbury public about our team! getting into the schools town centre and rugby clubs dishing out free junior tickets.

It was the highest gate in our Division on the day Chris. The weather forecast was bad (and correct), it's school holidays, CC semi-final on the telly - it's not just about promoting the game, people have to want to do something in the first instance. As a matter of interest how big do you expect the attendance to be next Sunday?

I must admit that I was baffled by the crowd figure as it did look to be smaller than for the Barrow game but maybe there were more in the main stand.

It was definitely a curate's egg of a match with a whole host of mistakes on both sides (as well as the man with the whistle). The difference came when Spicer & Gallagher came on, giving the team much more impetus but maybe also coinciding with the Rochdale pack starting to blow - there were quite a few fat lads out there today. Pryce had a really good game again, Wright was good when he was good and not when he wasn't, Hemingway was something of an enigma again, and Buchanan probably summed up the whole team performance scoring a couple of excellent tries and missing some straightforward tackles.

3 points will do - we can't be worldbeaters every week.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 501 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

The main stand was healthy populated but southstand wasn't. Looked more like 773 v barrow and 575 v Rochdale in my opinion. I reckon the crowd at batley will only just top 1,000. Hope us dewsbury fans make the effort to turn up in our hundreds Sunday, big derby, could send batley down if they get a 6 point deduction.

Edited by christheram, 11 August 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#23 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Thought wright, Pryce and Austin had good games today, but Tommy's introduction was the turning point. We know we'll get 2 x 20 minute spells if needed out of him, and if we have the ball during that time he'll make chances. The way Grady and Gallagher run off Thackery has scored us so many tries this year. If a couple if the others followed suit we'd be laughing.

Mixed feelings about the game yesterday. We had a couple of purple patches that won us the game, but for much of the game looked disinterested and distinctly ordinary. My thoughts were:

1.  Was a bit cynical about TG's signing, but I hold my hands up, the team look so much better when he's on.

2. Despite his detractors, Pricey is looking better and better - we should make a big effort to sign him for next season.

3. Wright is a real prospect IMO - I reckon he will turn out to be the best of GM's much vaunted "kids" apart from maybe Brown. Still has much to learn, but he adds zip from play the ball, which TH doesn't (sad and disappointing given his ability and underused pace).

4. Austin still the best of our wingers (and probably still the quickest of a pedestrian bunch).

5. We are going to be a good deal better against the dogs - unless of course we want to give them a hand staying up - which I reckon they will regardless.

#24 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Edited by Tom Coates, 11 August 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#25 Superdave

Superdave
  • Players
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

Not working Tom.

#26 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

Sorry - should be fine now.

#27 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

A fair performance , not withstanding all those injuries. 3 points was the aim and that's what we got. Plenty for Glenn to work at , very hit and miss. Austin took his tries well , bit surprised Hyde was MoM. Like a lot of the others he was hot and cold , he managed a brain melt down in getting involved with a Dewsbury fan.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#28 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

Gallagher, Austin and Wright all had good games, yet Hyde was very poor.

#29 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

Match report

#30 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

Another good report Ossy. Very kind in avoiding any mention of the refereeing too.

Just one point: I thought that Hyde was doing the goalkicking when Hemingway was off the pitch, although I may be mistaken.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#31 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

A fair performance , not withstanding all those injuries. 3 points was the aim and that's what we got. Plenty for Glenn to work at , very hit and miss. Austin took his tries well , bit surprised Hyde was MoM. Like a lot of the others he was hot and cold , he managed a brain melt down in getting involved with a Dewsbury fan.

Actually a bit disappointed Hyde gets so much stick on here. Say what you like, he always seems to be on the end of half breaks, runs good angles, and he's among the try scorers most weeks. Add to that, he regularly gets back to make try saving tackles, as he did on Sunday when the rest of the defense had gone AWOL. There are one or two players getting game time every week who I'd leave out of the team before Hyde. Saddens me that, if as you say, he reacted (presumably to abuse), and got involved with a fan, he is being held up as the villain in the piece. Presumably the numpties who gave KP such a hard time have now switched targets.

#32 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Presumably the numpties who gave KP such a hard time have now switched targets.

There's always got to be one. For some reason.

#33 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Karl Pryce was poor at the start of the season but now he is showing some glimpses of what a good player he is. As for Hyde yes he did track back and saved a certain try but in my opinion he does little to help Thackeray at half back.

#34 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

Karl Pryce was poor at the start of the season but now he is showing some glimpses of what a good player he is. As for Hyde yes he did track back and saved a certain try but in my opinion he does little to help Thackeray at half back.

He was on his shoulder for his try on Sunday. 

#35 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

Hydeys a good lad, whoever was having ago is probably one of them know it all, never played a game of rugby in his life type. Hope he resigns, although he is hot and cold at times, he's the type of player who can win you a match with some magic interception or break or try saving tackle. note, he made afew try savers last season although is defence in the line is sometimes poor

#36 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

What was the numpty having ago at Hyde for?

#37 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

What was the numpty having ago at Hyde for?

I saw that too, what was that about?

#38 christheram

christheram
  • Non-Batley
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Who was it? Need shaming the pricks.

#39 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

I was in the control room, but I believe somebody shouted something at him when his no look pass was intercepted.

Given that it was a free play, I'm not sure Kieran did anything wrong.

#40 HEATONRAM

HEATONRAM
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

There were a few at the back of the south stand shouting at Hyde to "get off the field".  Totally unjustified IMO, Hyde is a very good footballer he knows the game, as has been said elsewhere it's easy to see the "mistakes" and totally ignore the good work put in by players of his ability.  It was the same with Patch, people always moaning about him but totally ignoring his defensive qualities, but hey, people are allowed an opinion i guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users