Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pub Near London Victoria

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hello,

On the Thursday before Challenge Cup weekend, three of us are arriving from different directions into London.  If we meet at Victoria, would there be a decent pub in the area with good food?

Steve

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,850 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Hello,

On the Thursday before Challenge Cup weekend, three of us are arriving from different directions into London.  If we meet at Victoria, would there be a decent pub in the area with good food?

Steve

Not an area I know at all, i'm afraid, but if nobody else can help, trawl through a few reviews here: http://www.allinlond...restaurants.php

General tip for eating out in Central London, book for a later sitting, as the theatre crowd will have the restaurants packed and over-busy 'til the hordes rush off to catch the 8pm curtain.

Edited by Futtocks, 08 August 2014 - 02:44 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,850 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

Not an area I know at all, i'm afraid, but if nobody else can help, trawl through a few reviews here: http://www.allinlond...restaurants.php

General tip for eating out in Central London, book for a later sitting, as the theatre crowd will have the restaurants packed and over-busy 'til the hordes rush off to catch the 8pm curtain.

And here's the pub reviews: http://www.beerinthe...ts.shtml/tr/261

I have been to the St George's Tavern on Belgrave Road which was good, but that was several years ago, and pubs can change character quickly.

Edited by Futtocks, 08 August 2014 - 02:52 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

Not sure about Victoria but this isn't too far away near Waterloo: http://windmilltaverns.com/kingsarms/

It is excellent. Fantastic range of beers and very good, inexpensive Thai food.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 Stevo

Stevo
  • Coach
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

About 15 mins walk from Victoria, but this is the one I generally suggest for that neck of the woods:

http://www.star-tave...elgravia.co.uk/

It's OK-to-good rather than good-to-great - but you're just far enough away from the station that it's not swamped by travellers.

If you've not been through for a while the whole of Victoria is like a building site at present - familiar buildings may have gone and the station has limited exits available.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

There's a Wetherspoons at Victoria.

Job done.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

There's a Wetherspoons at Victoria.

Job done.

True. You can never go wrong with a 'spoons. :)
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#8 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

Someone mentioned St Georges Tavern - Nicholsons pub now and they are a decent bet for food and especially a good range of beer.
Next closest in the Nicholsons chain is the Feathers in Westminster - they also have ale trails within the Nicholsons pubs within London. St Georges Tavern is in their Piccadilly to Westminster trail.

#9 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

True. You can never go wrong with a 'spoons. :)

If going in earlyish for breakfast, be sure to be appropriately dressed so as not to stand out from the regulars.

I would recommend...

1. An old black leather jacket that's seen better days.

2. Either a pair of trousers from an old pinstripe suit that used to have a matching jacket, a pair of shell suit bottoms that used to have a matching jacket or any pair of tracksuit bottoms that used.....etc,etc..

3. A pair of old brown/blue trainers bought from one of those bargain buckets outside shoe shops.

Also, you need to sit close to the entrance doors so you don't have to walk too far for your regular ciggie and you also need to possess your own key for the disabled toilet so you don't have to walk too far for whatever your regular need for the toilet is.....

Edited by Old Frightful, 09 August 2014 - 06:26 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#10 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

If going in earlyish for breakfast, be sure to be appropriately dressed so as not to stand out from the regulars.

I would recommend...

1. An old black leather jacket that's seen better days.
2. Either a pair of trousers from an old pinstripe suit that used to have a matching jacket, a pair of shell suit bottoms that used to have a matching jacket or any pair of tracksuit bottoms that used.....etc,etc..
3. A pair of old brown/blue trainers bought from one of those bargain buckets outside shoe shops.

Also, you need to sit close to the entrance doors so you don't have to walk too far for your regular ciggie and you also need to possess your own key for the disabled toilet so you don't have to walk too far for whatever your regular need for the toilet is.....

You sir have obviously visited a many a 'spoons. :D

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,850 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

To be fair to them, they do vary a bit. I recently met up with an old colleague in the Wetherspoons on Charing Cross Road, which is in one of the former sites of the Marquee Club, and it was actually rather nice.

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

We have two Wetherspoons in Bradford Centre and the odds on getting a good pint in either of them are about 10 to 1.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#13 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,077 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

We have two Wetherspoons in Bradford Centre and the odds on getting a good pint in either of them are about 10 to 1.

Thats odd. Most of the 'spoons in Manchester have worked hard to gain cask marque status and offer a variety of ales from local breweries as well as the standard fare. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#14 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

Thats odd. Most of the 'spoons in Manchester have worked hard to gain cask marque status and offer a variety of ales from local breweries as well as the standard fare. 

Well, you have to expect both pubs and drinkers in Manchester to exhibit lower standards than those required over on the sunny side of the Pennines.

;)

Having said that, the only decent pint I have had in the Wetherspoons in Bradford's Centenary Square over the past year or so is Wainwright by Thwaites.

Other neighbouring pubs offer nicer (and actually cheaper) beers. I know peoples opinions of Tetleys are often set at polar opposites, but I really like it; At £1.99 a pint, I think it's too cheap!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police