Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Expansion

• Please log in to reply
519 replies to this topic

#1 owls

owls
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

With the recent addition of Coventry to CC1, it has got me wondering where the next  couple of new expansion teams could come from, hopefully all the existing teams in the league can have a secure

future, but what about Nottingham,Birmingham,Leicester and Bristol, do they have any ambitions to go pro,

does anyone have any recent  info on them, i did here that there may be  a possable Manchester team

in a couple of years, is this true?

#2 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

With the recent addition of Coventry to CC1, it has got me wondering where the next  couple of new expansion teams could come from, hopefully all the existing teams in the league can have a secure

future, but what about Nottingham,Birmingham,Leicester and Bristol, do they have any ambitions to go pro,

does anyone have any recent  info on them, i did here that there may be  a possable Manchester team

I believe both Mancunians and East Manchester Rangers have that as a goal though I think it is some years down the track based on previous posts.

It was the derby between the two last weekend but a mixture of torrential rain and Delhi belly on my part meant I missed it unfortunately. Mancunians gained revenge on the Rangers to split the season 1-1.

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm sure I read somewhere that a former Oldham player called chris Irwin was behind a semi-pro club in Manchester playing out of gorton.

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

I like to see a club in either Nottingham or Birmingham or even both.

#5 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'm sure I read somewhere that a former Oldham player called chris Irwin was behind a semi-pro club in Manchester playing out of gorton.

That would be Manchester Rangers. According to Facebook their 3 aims are below. Not sure how close they are to achieving #2, hopefully someone closer to the club can comment

1 to build a strong Rugby League community in the City of Manchester, 2 to base a professional Rugby League Club in Manchester from 2015, 3 to make Rugby League easily accessible for every Manchester resident.

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,554 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

don't get me wrong I'm all for expansion

but what about the heartlands? Why should money be pumped into these made up teams and proper clubs left to die? It makes you sick

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

but what about the heartlands? Why should money be pumped into these made up teams and proper clubs left to die? It makes you sick

Too obvious.

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Expansion in the heartlands is an interesting thought (even though I'm sure you were being sarcastic).

Where would you expand in the heartlands (if we're saying the heartlands are Yorkshire and North West) other than Manchester? Liverpool? Beverley? Barnsley? Rotherham?
Posted Image

#9 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,030 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

With the recent addition of Coventry to CC1, it has got me wondering where the next couple of new expansion teams could come from, hopefully all the existing teams in the league can have a secure

does anyone have any recent info on them, i did here that there may be a possable Manchester team

Birmingham are one team of RU players so you can rule them out. I think the East midlands can sustain a future side whether in Leicester, Nottingham or even Loughborough as a joint side. Can't see it sustaining both. Nottingham Outlaws are more interested in aiming for NCL I believe. Leicester Storm have stated C1 is their aim but theure not ready. Bristol is a possible but wouldn't be the current Bristol Sonics. The RFL are keen on Medway Dragons. Manchester is the other possible. Personally I think there will be 3-5 years before there's a new pro club though with the possible exception of Manchester to let things bed in.

#10 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Too obvious.

TBF, it is only obvious because of who posted it.  Far more absurd things are posted in earnest.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

TBF, it is only obvious because of who posted it.  Far more absurd things are posted in earnest.

Not just in the one direction either. It's been a while since anyone demanded a Russian side be admitted to semi-pro ranks but we get that kind of post too.

#12 owls

owls
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

I did say  i want all existing clubs to be secure including heartlands and it would be great to have new  teams in Manchester,Liverpool etc aswell as the midlands and south,

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

I did say  i want all existing clubs to be secure including heartlands and it would be great to have new  teams in Manchester,Liverpool etc aswell as the midlands and south,

Don't take Angelo's post seriously. It's a wind-up.

#14 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,030 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

Not just in the one direction either. It's been a while since anyone demanded a Russian side be admitted to semi-pro ranks but we get that kind of post too.

Try visiting Australian websites. There's suddenly demands for American, New Zealand, Russian, Spanish, Italian and South African teams in SL

#15 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Expansion in the heartlands is an interesting thought (even though I'm sure you were being sarcastic).
Where would you expand in the heartlands (if we're saying the heartlands are Yorkshire and North West) other than Manchester? Liverpool? Beverley? Barnsley? Rotherham?

It's always puzzled me how you can have a rugby league hotbed and professional team in a town like Wigan yet towns like Preston, Blackburn and Bolton that are 10-15 miles away aren't.

#16 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

scotland RL need to back one of their teams and enter league one...

much like the welsh RL have done with south wales..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#17 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

How about allowing Super League sides to run satellite clubs in development areas in KPC1 (Eg, Harrogate Rhinos, Ilkley Bulls etc)? It beats dual reg!

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:26 AM

I thought Barcelona was the preferred venue of the lunatic fringe and that is for  SL side, never mind semi pro.

#19 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

I thought Barcelona was the preferred venue of the lunatic fringe and that is for SL side, never mind semi pro.

Nah......that would be London!

#20 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,030 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

scotland RL need to back one of their teams and enter league one...

much like the welsh RL have done with south wales..

Scotland only have 4 clubs and 2 of them are close to folding.