Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sky TV v Virgin TV

Which Ones Best

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

Been with sky for donkeys years,we get the variety pack plus the sports package including an additional box(multiroom).No movies we currently pay £70:50 a month,I believe this is going to increase to £74 shortly.

I spoke with Sky today regarding an extra multiroom sadly i would have to pay another £11;25 a month plus i'd have to buy another box of them @£149.

In addition we pay £9;50 a month to Sky protect.

Seeing as we already get Broadband and Telephone from Virgin 30 Mbs soon to be doubled free of charge which costs £40 a month,i rang them to find out what TV package they could offer, as we would like to keep like for like in terms of the package TV wise.I was surprised by their cost of just under £100 a month,which also included Movies, BT Sports and ESPN also all the equipment is maintained free of charge.

Now this may sound like a no brainer but being a tight wad i think there must be a catch,is it inferior?are there certain channels i cant get?

Any advice would be much appreciated

#2 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,082 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

We're with Virgin for phone, internet and TV and in looking to go back to sky. No complaints with the phone and internet but the tv is rubbish. This may seem petty but the tivo box you get with Virgin is a piece of ######. Compared to the sky had box it's very anti-intuitive. There is about a second delay between pressing a button on the remote and the tivo box responding. As soon as our contract is up I'm seeing what sky can offer us.

Edited by Severus, 09 August 2014 - 07:11 AM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

That Sky Protect thing is a scam.  Our main Sky box downstairs died a sudden death, a few years out of warranty, Sky wanted to charge for its repair/replacement, I told them to just cancel the service and I'd go with Virgin instead if the stupid amount I pay each year isn't enough to get me a free box or repair now and again.  Engineer turned up the same day and gave us a brand new box.  Our satellite connection went a few weeks later, squirrels had chewed the cables and somehow shorted the LNB on the dish itself, same story that they wanted to charge, same story with me telling them to cancel and again they were out nice and quickly to give us a new dish and different cable route away from squirrels.  I had them out last year moving the dish higher up the building as the trees in the field had grown and were giving some interference, again free of charge.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,900 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

ckn, contact your army mates for some firearms - them squirrels is tasty!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

ckn, contact your army mates for some firearms - them squirrels is tasty!

Generally they're fine as they keep the cats in line. The cats are terrified of them.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:38 AM

That Sky Protect thing is a scam. Our main Sky box downstairs died a sudden death, a few years out of warranty, Sky wanted to charge for its repair/replacement, I told them to just cancel the service and I'd go with Virgin instead if the stupid amount I pay each year isn't enough to get me a free box or repair now and again. Engineer turned up the same day and gave us a brand new box. Our satellite connection went a few weeks later, squirrels had chewed the cables and somehow shorted the LNB on the dish itself, same story that they wanted to charge, same story with me telling them to cancel and again they were out nice and quickly to give us a new dish and different cable route away from squirrels. I had them out last year moving the dish higher up the building as the trees in the field had grown and were giving some interference, again free of charge.

That's always been my view as to what I'd do if our box broke. I'd love some competition to Sky here, we can't get a decent terrestrial TV signal from a normal aerial, no option of virgin so not much choice.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

Sky all the way. The system is so intuitive, although I dont think theyve quite nailed how to present On Demand.

I got a great deal on multiroom recently, free box and installation, plus half price for 12m, so basically 5.50 extra a month. Watch out for offers.

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

No S4C or BBC2 Wales on Virgin. You know you couldn't manage without them.

;) :biggrin:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

I signed up for Multi room yesterday too. I had an on line chat and was told it was £5.60 for the first 12 months. I agreed and went through the buying procedure, when it came to the installation date I was offered next Friday which wasn't any good. I tried to change to Sunday but couldn't get it to change, so I said I would leave it and phone later to arrange a suitable slot.
I phoned them last night and was told that the £5.60 was only available to new customers.
I told them I had agreed a price with "Abdul" in a live chat earlier, they said they had no record of that and it would be £11.25.
After much to toint and froing with me accusing them of reneging they said whilst they absolutely could not honour the £5.60 for 12 months (£67.20) they would upgrade the box from standard to recordable and wireless normally at a cost of £199.00 for free.
I was cheeky and said that's ok but what about the £5.60, again the said that there was no way the could honour that, but the would knock £15 off my sky subscription for 3 months.
At that point I agreed and it's being fitted next Sunday am
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

No S4C or BBC2 Wales on Virgin. You know you couldn't manage without them.

;) :biggrin:

I needs my Aber Town fix, so no I couldn't.

It's just a shame we don't have Amanda Protheroe Thomas doing Sgorio any more.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

I needs my Aber Town fix, so no I couldn't.

It's just a shame we don't have Amanda Protheroe Thomas doing Sgorio any more.

I think she does Liverpool FC TV.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

Just got rid of my 20-year television that has served me well for a new HD one. As a long-standing customer, I contacted Sky to see what they could offer and got a new box and free installation for £1.70 extra a month. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 11 August 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#13 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

Interesting thread elsewhere to see what other are getting when threatening to cancel.....

http://forums.moneys...652651&page=318