Oxford Cavaliers withdraw from Conference League South

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Just heard this. This is a shame, the other 5 clubs in the league seem stable. Hopefully the league can find enough teams for next year and Oxford can survive at the appropriate level

Edited by bowes, 09 August 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#2 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

Conference South is a great concept but it's a concern that only 4 clubs from the south are willing/able to participate.

I'm not sure what the answer is here.

#3 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

Conference South is a great concept but it's a concern that only 4 clubs from the south are willing/able to participate.

I'm not sure what the answer is here.

Yeah because if the league folds there's nowhere for many of the clubs in it to play and/or the clubs in the local league will get loads of thrashings. But can't think of any possible new teams unless Coventry Bears can enter an A team or unless London premier folds and clubs have to join from there.

Nottingham must surely have one eye on the NCL now

Edited by bowes, 09 August 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#4 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

Nottingham must surely have one eye on the NCL now

A replacement for Coventry then?

Talking of which how are things developing at the Bears re-League 1 in 2015.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#5 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

A replacement for Coventry then?

Talking of which how are things developing at the Bears re-League 1 in 2015.

Not exactly there's been 3 bids. Hunslet Old Boys and Wibsey Warriors from the Pennine League and one other I don't know. Haven't heard anything re Nottingham but if CLS collapsed they couldn't realistically play in the midlands. No idea as not followed as closely this year but I'll find out a bit more as at the Bears match today.

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Not exactly there's been 3 bids. Hunslet Old Boys and Wibsey Warriors from the Pennine League and one other I don't know. Haven't heard anything re Nottingham but if CLS collapsed they couldn't realistically play in the midlands. No idea as not followed as closely this year but I'll find out a bit more as at the Bears match today.

Old Boys and Wibsey have gone to the NCL according to the League Express, with a few more NCL clubs entering teams in the Pennine, Pennine have a meeting Monday to formulate the playing divisions.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#7 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Yeah looks like it will need a reshuffle in the Pennine league, with some clubs not fulfilling fixtures. There's some good teams coming up to premier though Upton and Methley Royals.

Edited by bowes, 09 August 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Yeah looks like it will need a reshuffle in the Pennine league, with some clubs not fulfilling fixtures. There's some good teams coming up to premier though Upton and Methley Royals.

With your obsession of none fulfilled fixtures in the winter I'd advice you not to read to much into the failed fixture completion of last season, I've seen teams fail a few in one season then end up in the NCL within the next couple. Player movement (Players following a certain coach is a prime reason) within a area has and will always dictate who is doing well and who isn't.

#9 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

The Pennine league itself have had tough rules on the matter. I expect Keighley's one forfeit will be overlooked though

#10 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

The Pennine league itself have had tough rules on the matter. I expect Keighley's one forfeit will be overlooked though

I'd be more worried about teams in the amateur flagship leagues travelling short staffed or filled with kids and One town one team clubs who are failing to fulfil.

#11 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

They should join the london premier? Just as close as Rhinos to the rest of the comp.

#12 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Perhaps, although they may face the same issues. It may be the case that they need to find Sheffield Hallam a sensible place to play and get the best 10 midlands and west country (plus Valley Cougars) together and to begin with play 14 games to reduce travel. The only risk is if the step up is too big for say Telford. Have pro clubs spread fringe players out a bit more and run it as equivalent to London premier. Nottingham could progress to the NCL if/when they're ready

#13 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Southern Conference - Some teams won't enter a league if they already know which team is going to win it.

#14 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Oxford cavs went proper downhill when lionel left........and me ;)

#15 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Southern Conference - Some teams won't enter a league if they already know which team is going to win it.

I'm honestly at a loss to explain why the 'club' you've alluded to has been accommodated in that league. It's insane.

#16 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'm honestly at a loss to explain why the 'club' you've alluded to has been accommodated in that league. It's insane.

I don't think it will be long before other championship clubs are running what is basically a team made up of ex-service area kids who never got picked up by a Super League club, wonder what will happen at Sheffield once Donny move onto their next step in moving the club forward (Or could the South Yorkshire clubs run a joint side and take it in turns to draft which players they would like to take.

#17 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Can't see that idea lasting long or ending well, Jim!

#18 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

Can't see that idea lasting long or ending well, Jim!

Human nature will end it and probably before it got off the ground.

#19 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Rumour is that Milford A have announced their withdrawal from YML premier, yet another NCL club struggling for players. The Leeds heartlands are obviously short of players in the summer with their near neighbours Stanningley seemingly not playing their YML games (as lots of 24: 0 scores) this is a worrying turn of events

#20 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Stanningley A appear to have dropped out and returned to winter, presumably absorbing the remnants of Troydale Trojans.

Milford it's only the last 2 games but still not great. Inevitable for a team bottom of the league with just 2 games left in holiday season. Not an unknown phenomenon in winter. Unlike Stanningley I don't see this as a serious problem for Milford, their A team would probably go alright in division 1 next year.

A few tricky issues here as if the season were longer you could have a summer break but there's no point having a month off then having only 3 games in September. Still more games going ahead than did during the month or so of frozen pitches. Another issue is the season not quite avoiding the Pennine league season but being short enough players try to double in with natural consequences of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users