Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oxford Cavaliers withdraw from Conference League South

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

No they're not. They're the eagles under 20's. To say otherwise is just insulting. Parading them as Pennines league amateurs is just wrong. Former Sheffield lads from Northampton know the majority of the Hallam side from their own time with the Eagles.

Read Tim's post about professional clubs taking amateur players to fill a team sheet, Many are Pennine players including Dean & Shaun Roberts, Tom Holt and Alex Palmer has just signed pro from a Pennine 1st division side (All Doncaster Toll Bar Pennine division 1) You can add two Bentley Good Companions players to that list as well Scotty Smith and Sean Richards, also been told they lost a good few players to NCL clubs because they wanted to play at a higher standard, this had the hallam side travelling to Nottingham with 16 players because it was played on a Thursday night, out of the 16 the oldest player was Scott smith 23 followed Tom holt 22, Sean Richards, Mitch Vincent, Jordan parry and Shaun Roberts all 21 the rest of the squad we're either 17 or 18 year olds, My source has also told me every thing isn't as rosy as it appears, he said a lot of the side are talking of just playing winter next season.

Edited by Marauder, 22 August 2014 - 06:49 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#42 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Read Tim's post about professional clubs taking amateur players to fill a team sheet, Many are Pennine players including Dean & Shaun Roberts, Tom Holt and Alex Palmer has just signed pro from a Pennine 1st division side (All Doncaster Toll Bar Pennine division 1) You can add two Bentley Good Companions players to that list as well Scotty Smith and Sean Richards, also been told they lost a good few players to NCL clubs because they wanted to play at a higher standard, this had the hallam side travelling to Nottingham with 16 players because it was played on a Thursday night, out of the 16 the oldest player was Scott smith 23 followed Tom holt 22, Sean Richards, Mitch Vincent, Jordan parry and Shaun Roberts all 21 the rest of the squad we're either 17 or 18 year olds, My source has also told me every thing isn't as rosy as it appears, he said a lot of the side are talking of just playing winter next season.

Thursday night with 16 thats not bad . Six players 20 plus , young side that might run plenty of sides off the pitch .

#43 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,024 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Read Tim's post about professional clubs taking amateur players to fill a team sheet, Many are Pennine players including Dean & Shaun Roberts, Tom Holt and Alex Palmer has just signed pro from a Pennine 1st division side (All Doncaster Toll Bar Pennine division 1) You can add two Bentley Good Companions players to that list as well Scotty Smith and Sean Richards, also been told they lost a good few players to NCL clubs because they wanted to play at a higher standard, this had the hallam side travelling to Nottingham with 16 players because it was played on a Thursday night, out of the 16 the oldest player was Scott smith 23 followed Tom holt 22, Sean Richards, Mitch Vincent, Jordan parry and Shaun Roberts all 21 the rest of the squad we're either 17 or 18 year olds, My source has also told me every thing isn't as rosy as it appears, he said a lot of the side are talking of just playing winter next season.

They need an appropriate level to play at really, but not obvious what that is as they wouldn't meet NCL criteria and dual registration isn't allowed there (otherwise I'd like to see them merge with Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks to enter) Yeah NCL is a higher standard for sure. Nottingham would be okay on the bottom end of division 3, if they're still as good as when I last saw them (2012). Valley Cougars aren't bad but are RU players so couldn't play a full season plus have dual registration.

#44 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

Read Tim's post about professional clubs taking amateur players to fill a team sheet, Many are Pennine players including Dean & Shaun Roberts, Tom Holt and Alex Palmer has just signed pro from a Pennine 1st division side (All Doncaster Toll Bar Pennine division 1) You can add two Bentley Good Companions players to that list as well Scotty Smith and Sean Richards, also been told they lost a good few players to NCL clubs because they wanted to play at a higher standard, this had the hallam side travelling to Nottingham with 16 players because it was played on a Thursday night, out of the 16 the oldest player was Scott smith 23 followed Tom holt 22, Sean Richards, Mitch Vincent, Jordan parry and Shaun Roberts all 21 the rest of the squad we're either 17 or 18 year olds, My source has also told me every thing isn't as rosy as it appears, he said a lot of the side are talking of just playing winter next season.

I don't remember playing on a Thu night!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#45 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thursday night with 16 thats not bad . Six players 20 plus , young side that might run plenty of sides off the pitch .

16 players for a side on the crest of a wave is poor.

#46 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

I don't remember playing on a Thu night!

Sorry I misread the message, the Eagles played on the Thursday night, so travelling with just 16 players for a team that's supposed to be the bee's knee's and supported by a professional club isn't good. My source has also said he doesn't think he is going to bother with the summer next season, so if he is thinking about not playing I can bet a few more will be.

#47 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Edited by Pottsy, 25 August 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#48 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

16 players for a side on the crest of a wave is poor.

Sorry for a Thursday Night 16 is good

#49 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

It wasn't a Thu night. It was a Sat afternoon.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#50 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

It wasn't a Thu night. It was a Sat afternoon.

ok still okish

#51 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

"Really" I don't think so when you consider the back up support they are supposed to have.

#52 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

"Really" I don't think so when you consider the back up support they are supposed to have.

Not sure what back up / support they have but I happen to think taking 16 players to a game is ok . Not ideal if 17 can go down on team sheet . I can remember when 15 was required and then the subs only got a run out for an injured player or if someone was having a rubbish game .

#53 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

Not sure what back up / support they have but I happen to think taking 16 players to a game is ok . Not ideal if 17 can go down on team sheet . I can remember when 15 was required and then the subs only got a run out for an injured player or if someone was having a rubbish game .

I'm not a young sprog either, but a team like Hallam only need to get one of the lads to make a phone call to a mate and I'm sure they could rustle up a player/players from the Pennine League (That's how Dean Roberts got a run out this year and Alex Palmer last season)