TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Too quiet on the Western Front!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

This used to be a really lively place for a debate with lots of banter that went on for days on end. If there is no game on any weekend the forum goes dead now. Why?

Is it because some people have lost all hope? Is it because, as one contributor said, it has become something of a private members club where if you don't agree with those "members" you get slagged off?

I honestly don't know the answer but come on let's get this forum back where it used to be.

Just as a starter I'll ask one question. Some may see it as a bit simplistic but if it gets a debate going am I bothered what anyone thinks?

Following a round of golf last Friday my playing partner asked me this question and it sparked off a lively chat for a while among several members in the clubhouse. However we couldn't agree on the answer so here is the question for all you fans, by which I mean those who go regularly and those who follow the forum and the clubs fortunes by other means.

Up until recently whenever Oldham played Rochdale it was mostly felt, in Oldham at least, that Oldham were far and away the better side and were expected to win. Last year Rochdale got promoted despite finishing nine points behind us in the league, a clear case that end of season play offs are a bit unfair, but if Oldham were to play Rochdale next week, Rochdale having played a season in the division above, would they now give us a good hiding? Have they learned something do you think?

If the answer to the question is yes then most likely we will be up against it again next year because I have my doubts about us getting promoted this time round with York and Hunslet the two favourites and Gateshead and a couple others being something of a banana skin.

Well there should be enough there to get someone punching the keyboard.

Answers on this forum please not on a postcard.

#2 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Whilst I would love nothing more than us winning promotion. I am not as bothered if we do not this time, and it is not the fear of going up, because the restructure seems to have got this division in a better state for next season. I would still like a straight home and away format, with a Cup knock out competition. But 14 or 15 clubs in the division is a step in the right direction.

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

league one is gonna be a fantastic comp next year so wouldn't be that bothered iff we played in it....

but id also like us gain promotion purely because it'll force some issues that need addressing...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

I'd love to see us in the Championship and with Nobby and Spanner at the helm. Like most promoted clubs, we would need to strengthen but we also have some talented players who if we aren't promoted will probably be playing Championship Rugby elsewhere. But we face the playoffs again and we can only hope that we've learned something from past experience. 

#5 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

I tend to agree with most of what you all say but no one has answered the original question. Have Rochdale learned anything from their excursion into the Championship and will they return far more able to beat us easily?

I totally agree that the new set up looks to be far superior to what we have now but with the likes of Rochdale, Barrow, Swinton and Whitehaven likely to be coming down, and either York or Hunslet staying down and with Gateshead using their new found investors to improve, then even if we mange to retain the whole of our current squad I don't see us being in the mix come the end of next season unless we invest.

The guys at my golf club, which include two former professional referees, seem to think, as I do, that if we fail to get promoted this year it will be far more difficult in the future because the division will be far more competitive. The only way to get promotion will be to buy it. By which I mean bringing in a few very experienced players to guide the young ones around and ensure that the best of the current crop stay at the club by whatever financial means we have to employ. Unfortunately that is not going to happen because Mr Hamilton is keeping the purse firmly closed and I believe that he may even be content to stay in Championship 1 for the foreseeable future. Not least because of the state of our "stadium". And that is not me having a go at CH.

Is Scott Naylor on a two year contract? If so then I think he has done enough with limited funding and resources to attract the attention of clubs in the higher division or even those coming down who have more ambition and drive than we seem to have. If he goes then we also face the possibility, or should I say probability, of starting next year not only with a new coach but also a new squad as some will follow Scott wherever he goes while others go elsewhere. Not good!

These views are not entirely my own but hopefully they will help keep the forum going for at least a few more days until it hots up again as we have a game round the corner.

#6 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

I honestly don't think Rochdale have learned much. They will have gained some Championship experience but have failed to live at that level. I agree this year would be a good year to go up and it will be harder in coming seasons and I am worried about us having to beat both Hunslet and York to win the playoffs. We are certainly capable of winning promotion but we still have this inconsistency but so do York & Hunslet.  

#7 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Staying up was always mission impossible with five coming down - and plenty of people said we wouldn't win a game all season, but seven wins thus far has been a decent effort. The battering of Fev being the pick of the bunch.

Of the teams in the bottom four we have the most wins and fewest defeats - and if we can finish third bottom or better, any other season we'd've stayed up. A season of competing at a significantly higher standard (it is a surprising jump in pace and intensity) will stand us in good stead. And if we can get third bottom or better we'll get a small parachute payment too to compensate for relegation due to the restructure. Whatever happens we'll be coming back better-off, on and off the field. And, while the 'miracle' we all hoped for hasn't come off, I wouldn't have swapped this season for anything

Would we beat Oldham if we played you this week? Yes, by some distance.

Next season? Who knows.

Keeps life interesting.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#8 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Agree with Hornetto, winning promotion last season was a poisoned chalice with five coming down. With the player merry go round at the end of every season, it is hard to predict what would happen or how a team would cope in an higher division, as it is all down to who you have recruited for that campaign.  

#9 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Championship 1 is certainly going to be far more competitive next season. With the two out the 3 clubs competing for promotion this year still there plus those sides coming down from the championship and those new clubs that are getting stronger. 

#10 Tony Mac

Tony Mac
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

As regards the first question posed I would suggest that Rochdale would beat us comprehensively if we played them next week.  Their playing squad is far better than ours at this moment, no question.  I would add though, that keeping hold of that squad for next season would be difficult if they are relegated as the same money won't be there and they would undoubtably lose some of their squad to Championship clubs because of that.

As regards Rochdale learning anything from their experience in a higher division then my answer would have to be yes, of course they will have learned. How much of that they can take with them if relegated would depend on how many players they were able to keep hold of.

As regards Roughyeds then I do hope we get promoted this season but it is one tough ask as I believe that Hunslet and York at full strength would probably be too good for us.

But I live in hope.

Tony Mac

Nobody believes the official spokesman, but everybody trusts an unidentified source.

#11 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Yep...forums dead!

#12 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Well there have been some interesting comments not least from Hornetto. I have to be honest and say that when I looked at Rochdale's fixture list before the season started I predicted just three wins for them, and I thought I was being optimistic at that. However although I congratulate them for their so far seven wins I think it has to be noted that a few teams have not lived up to their previous seasons in the Championship. I refer to Barrow, Swinton and Whitehaven in particular, but beating Featherstone was totally unexpected.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that Rochdale would defeat us if we played next week but in line with several others I think they may not have the same squad in place next year and that will be a great leveller.

No one has yet mentioned the situation with Scott Naylor. Is he on a two year contract? If so what are the views on him remaining with us if we don't get promoted?

Incidentally I don't think that the forum is dead at all and I think that if everyone made sensible contributions it would flourish. sadly there does seem to be just a few who like to put everyone else down if they disagree with them. I can imagine that it would put some people off. Even though we sometimes disagree it doesn't mean that we never agree so keep the post coming.

#13 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

This season has been a big step up for the players at Rochdale. We have done slightly better than I expected on a very small budget compared with every other club in the division. The championship will be be even harder next season and for any promoted team be it York Hunslet or Oldham would be a fate worse than death.
If Hornets were to play Oldham at the moment I think Hornets would win comfortably. As to next season the word on the street is that all our players will be staying. The championship one division will be much improved next season as a result of the restructuring. I look forward to us playing Oldham again and seeing a good old derby match again.
Good luck in your quest for promotion but I think that you might regret it if it happened.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users