Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

West Indies RL?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GeordieGiant

GeordieGiant
  • Twitter
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

I've watched the Jamaicans progress over the last few years, and notice that T&T are an observer at the RLEF. Why do they not just form a West Indies RL for rlwc qualification to get all the best talent in one team. Barbados were involved in the 7s at the Commonwealths and think of the heritage players they could call on! Bailey, McGillvary, Pryces etc. 

Edited by GeordieGiant, 10 August 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,900 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

I've watched the Jamaicans progress over the last few years, and notice that T&T are an observer at the RLEF. Why do they not just form a West Indies RL for rlwc qualification to get all the best talent in one team. Barbados were involved in the 7s at the Commonwealths and think of the heritage players they could call on! Bailey, McGillvary, Pryces etc. 

Jamaica can help the other WI countries with their recent experience of starting up from scratch, and they will also get the benefit of local competition.

A combined Windies team works for cricket, but other sports haven't taken up the idea.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

They did set up as a WI team in the start by Dane Cambell..why it then changed to Jamacia going it alone maybe Dane saw that as the right way..who knows.

In 2004 a WI side won the Fairfax cup at the York 9's.

I'm sure some of the team were from the island's with the rest heritage players.

http://en.wikipedia....gby_league_team

Edited by yanto, 10 August 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#4 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

It could be possible that they know what they are doing.

#5 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

It could be that Jamaicans want to play for their nation.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#6 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:52 AM

It always baffles me how many people fail to understand that international sport is competition between nations and not regions, ethnic groups, made-up representative teams or anything else.

#7 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

I think the question is fair, as sports teams often vary their borders.  

The answer because that what makes the most sense to the people on the ground.

As to why it makes the most sense to the people on the ground, the answer is we do not know.  We can guess a few reasons, perhaps without cricket's tradition there is no feeling of belonging to West Indies.  Perhaps, if everything is centred around Jamaica for now, we might as well call it that.  Perhaps having separate nations give more chance to using international teams as a promotional tool.

Who knows?  It is a fair question.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#8 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

From working with Dane in the early days of the WIRLF and then the JRLA, the main reason why the focus moved from West Indies to Jamaica was just based upon the level of time people had to invest in the project.

The original approach was to create the West Indies team to help establish a brand which would then be used as the vehicle to get into the Caribbean with the hope of then creating domestic leagues off the back of.  This concept was expected to take a number of years, and naturally was the main focus, however when of course people on the ground in Jamaica popped up willing to create a league there naturally the focus shifted from the West Indies team to Jamaica.

Dane rightfully made the right call based upon the finite time, resources and money available and I think the results are there to see today.  

Honestly based upon the way it has happened, I think it would be unfair now to expect Jamaica to go under a West Indies brand unless they initiated the move.   

Posted Image