Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

score at Whitehaven.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

I've tried to remain positive throughout a pretty dreadful season, but it's time for a reality check now. Last year we were grand finalists, 11 months on and we are almost certainly heading to Hemel (no offence to them) next year if we are deducted points on Thursday, which I suspect is likely.

One of the most important seasons in our history in light of the reshuffle, and:

1. We have 2 players, 1 a key one banned for betting offences.
2. We gambol on 20 contacted players to start the season, throwing all our eggs in the DR basket.
3. We lose a half back after 6 games and don't replace despite money being available. Yes the injury to black was unfortunate but why did we not have any cover in place.
4. We are potentially looking at a points deduction because the club didn't know/forgot about the DR rules. Despite allegedly recieving a reminder email the week before.
5. The same week, the busiest and most important of the season our Chief Executive is allegedly on holiday with no formal cover arrangements in place.
6. At a crucial time of the season we have 2 players sent off in successive weeks.
7. Despite having a wafer thin squad we let 2 players out on loan.

Of course not everything is black and white, and there are other affecting factors, but It doesn't read well does it. I'm a massive advocate of what the club, KN and directors have done over the last decade and longer. To keep the club going and achieve what we have with pitiful crowds and a small budget is monumental, but something has gone wrong this year.

I won't be walking away but the thought of playing against Gloucester in front of 400 people is gut wrenching. We have a hardcore of around 500 fans, many of those who spend an awful lot of time and money on the club. I just pray the majority of those stay on too or we have little hope going forward.

Hopefully there will still be a miracle this year, but fact and evidence suggest it's unlikely.

Absolutely gutted right now.

Edited by Nick07, 10 August 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#22 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Bad season lack of cover in the backs proved our downfall . Well see what next season brings been very fustrating due not being able to kick on from last year. Fail to understand why we have so many utilty fowards but not any backs big error by the coach bit us in the bum big style .

#23 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

We are not down yet but we have been taught a very painful and hard lesson. We have to rebuild on and off the pitch, and if necessary introduce new board members with new ideas to recapture and exceed the success of recent seasons.

We were on the cusp of a glorious opportunity next season, which is ever more looking like a blown and wasted opportunity this season. It pains me to say that unless there are some hidden reasons, our off field operation has come across as being lacking in foresight to cope with the demands of Championship RL. Perhaps we have become too complacent and a little jaded in our off field operation,despite having the club at heart.

Let's start the rebuild now, and inject some momentum and adrenalin back into our proud Club.

#24 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

We shouldn't be too hard on the coach/board imo.  We generally have to get by with the worst crowds in the league, and despite this we have over achieved.  Take a player like Black out of any mid table side for half the season and they would struggle, especially if the youngster brought in to give cover had also missed most of the season. Very disappointing mind you.

What happened with Chris Rowe?  If banned he will be another huge loss for us.

#25 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ    over achieved gets a bit boring, the bod/coach as failed the fans big time, you couldent have got anything any worse if they tried this season, sick of all the over achieving rubbish,other teams built on what they had and went up a rung while we fell off the ladder,we decided we  to destroy what we had thru lack of signings that count and no cover for what we might have had.sad day. :assassin:

#26 Haven99

Haven99
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thought you did ok today greenwood is a special player, Rowe is a waste ov space going high all the time your second row who played stand off deserves a mention as he run his self into the ground never mind two even sides but home advantage was the killer safe journey home

#27 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

We shouldn't be too hard on the coach/board imo.  We generally have to get by with the worst crowds in the league, and despite this we have over achieved.  Take a player like Black out of any mid table side for half the season and they would struggle, especially if the youngster brought in to give cover had also missed most of the season. Very disappointing mind you.

What happened with Chris Rowe?  If banned he will be another huge loss for us.

Was Alex Rowe he flattened our prop off the ball, with his elbow apparently.

HW

#28 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

introduce new board members with new ideas to recapture and exceed the success of recent seasons.

Genuinly doesnt matter how many new board members with new ideas you bring in, Kevin will ask the same old question of how much will it cost to impliment these ideas and if the answer is any more than a fiver he will scupper it, of course thats also assuming he thinks it might be a ood idea anyway, if its a good idea then it becomes his idea, Batley has been a 1 man club since Kevin took over and always will be while he is in charge, anyone remember the much promised "5 year plan" from the mid nineties, ###### then and still is now, love for the club and the game doesnt bring success.

#29 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ    over achieved gets a bit boring, the bod/coach as failed the fans big time, you couldent have got anything any worse if they tried this season, sick of all the over achieving rubbish,other teams built on what they had and went up a rung while we fell off the ladder,we decided we  to destroy what we had thru lack of signings that count and no cover for what we might have had.sad day. :assassin:

Maybe you are right, Silverback, but teams with lousy crowds usually end up near the bottom of the pile at some stage.  For really bad management look at teams over the years that have failed despite excellent crowd numbers. Still, lots of ifs and buts, and Nick07 makes some pretty fair and reasonable points (as always).   Anyway, however critical or generous we may be with our opinions;  just now  feels pretty horrible.

Edited by Bi11, 10 August 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#30 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Was Alex Rowe he flattened our prop off the ball, with his elbow apparently.

HW

Ok, HW, thanks for the reply.

#31 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

And next up we play Dewsbury. How much fun for them if they put the final nail in our coffin. We started the season with 1  half back we were poor . We finish the season with 1 half back also poor its like groundhog day. The lack of ambition by our club has for once let us down. And our recruitment ,well enough has been said on that one. Feeling very let down have heard we still had funds available in Bissa we should have gambled  IMO.

I'll be there next week, along with the other half a dozen Dewsbury fans, and will confess to having somehwat mixed feelings. I honestly don't want Batley to be relegated both for pragmatic reasons but also for the loss of a genuine local battle, which i'm sure we all enjoy. On the other hand i will want my team to win, naturally, yet if that means condemning yours to relegation that will certainly take the edge off any pleasure that I might gain.

Unlike you we have been relegated a couple of times in recent years and we know that it isn't a piece of cake getting back up again. I know that the loyal supporters will stand by the club no matter what; I just hope that enough of your current fans can maintain that streak of stubborness and loyalty that the new division will demand.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#32 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

http://i1033.photobu...zpsf1ed3de8.jpg

cheer up lads :)

#33 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

http://i1033.photobu...zpsf1ed3de8.jpg

cheer up lads :)

Hilarious. Just remember - what goes around, comes around.

#34 RogerT

RogerT
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

Yes I'm a bit disappointed but I will be there next season, if I remember correctly our CEO was on holiday at the same time last year but nobody seemed to mind.

Disappointed about our non signings or others jumping in and gazumping us, same as what seems that others set out to destroy our team, and it worked.

Cheers Roger.

#35 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

Hilarious. Just remember - what goes around, comes around.

glad you remembered

as you see.... it does come around

dont panic just yet... youve 3 points next Sunday

;)

#36 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Very true Gaz. Any business experiencing the season that we have had, with 'eyes off the ball' would hold an inquest at the very least , and make the appropriate changes in the responsible personnel. The future of our Club would appear to be a matter of the personal choice and ambition of the Chairman, if your comments are correct

#37 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

I think our squad was well equipped last season on deadline day last season & had a winger of Gareth Potts quality kicking his heels, Tom Hemmingway as a spare half back & a dual reg system that worked.

I'm really concerned about who we are gonna play against Swinton if the 2 recent red cards turn to bans. I just hope hudds, Halifax & Leigh don't suffer a raft of injuries or we could could be in serious trouble.

Whilst you cannot prodict injuries/bans you can prepare for them by having players in the squad to fill in. We haven't had that. At the time of recruitment of this years squad I seem to remember Kevin saying we have overspent so on this paper thin squad it shows you how far behind the 8 ball we are.

This has been a horrible season with very little to shout about & we don't seem to have any fight in us & heads seem to drop at the slightest hint of adversity. Regardless of what happens on Thurs all I would like to see is the players get stuck in like their lives depended on it.
"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#38 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Just arrived home after witnessing what was genuinely the worst second half performance I've ever seen from a Batley side. We were in a great position at half-time (despite 30 minutes of below-par RL), yet only got into the Haven 20 zone once - yes ONCE, during the second 40 minutes of the game. Knock on after knock on in our own half, terrible discipline and all the go-forward of a Trabant in reverse.
Utterly demoralising, and even moreso when loyal fans turned up expecting a blood and guts performance in possibly the most important game of our season. Lots of people were discussing our likely prospects in Championship 1 next season - especially in terms of which players might stay and which might go. Well, on this seasons performances, I'd only actually want Greenwood (gone), Brown (not ours) and Gledhill to reappear next season. Sadly, the rest of them are either nowhere near good enough, over the hill or simply not committed enough to warrant new deals.
Disgraceful, and pretty much a kick in the teeth to the hundred or so who braved shocking weather to get there.
When you look back and reflect on our position at the end of last season (and the wonderful platform it gave us upon which to build and develop towards becoming a really strong club at this level), it only serves to emphasise how appallingly the management of the club - especially those individuals involved in decision-making processes, have let us down this season. I'm afraid that they have a lot of questions to answer, but I expect that we'll be treated with the same contempt as per usual.

Edited by TheTerminator, 10 August 2014 - 08:40 PM.

Posted Image

#39 phildog

phildog
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

Campbell should be back (assuming he stays and repays the club's stance) so he can fill in more than capably at no1. Scott, Gledhill, Chandler, Leatherbarrow are on my list, hope Leek gets fit as he was looking promising when he came, as I'm sure we've seen the last of Ben Black. Rowe too should stay as he's a full hearted type, Rettie's already signed, Nicholson and Blake haven't been wastes. What has been a waste is loaning out 2 players when we've been bringing loans in. Leary always looked confident to me, in his first season JK said he was one for the future, yet got game time in most of the important games last year, only to find that his future still didn't arrive this year despite again playing in the 'big' games. Brennan has been a disappointment I agree, but again he's only 20, needed to be subbing and getting on to learn from Davies and Applegarth. Now, there's a couple of names! Will Davies stay and go down a league? Will Applegarth ever see out a season? I know it's been club policy in the past to be guarded and gentlemanly in transfer dealings, but now is the time to bare the Bulldogs teeth and get stuck in to the market. Assuming that we are joined by Barrow, Swinton, Rochdale and NW Crusaders, rest assured that they won't sit back and stick with what they've got, so we have to compete with them in order to get back. it's not just a case of sending down any old team to Coventry and Hemel etc and expecting them to roll over and respect our past. We need to be doing the rounds of Super League clubs, looking for either promising young players who can't quite force their way in, or pick up a couple of old heads who are just on the verge of being squeezed out, but who fancy they just might pick up another medal or two before hitting the rocking chair. Knock on Koiukash's door, we've sent him enough players, ask him for one, Saints as well. Just don't go with another small, paper thin squad and expect the DR system (if it's kept) to work better for us, we had to my count 8 different players from Giants at some stage of the season, none of whom put in any lengthy stint and half of whom were taken back and sent somewhere else. If we don't re-appear in this division then I can see us eventually joining the likes of Bramley, Huyton, Blackpool etc, teams who just get let go by the RFL. The board must take action now. I wouldn't for a moment question their commitment, if they hadn't been committed, we wouldn't have had the good run we've enjoyed over the last 5 seasons, but something revolutionary has to rear its' head..or else.

#40 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

if the worst happens and we go down,which in a normal season wouldn't have happened as 14 points clear of team in bottom two, would have a gamble on Danny Thomas as he has been outstanding in games for the All Golds and if Danny Maun reckons he can do another season at that level get him back ,so going back to the culture of local lads that will wear the shirt with pride and put in 110 % each week,but still 9pts to play for so not down yet but will need a massive effort from all the players to play like a team that wants to stay in the championship and fight against all odds, my girlfriends football team Birmingham City looked down and out and relegated to division 2 last season and survived with a winning performance in last game of the season so as she says still believe until its not mathematically possible to avoid relegation

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users