Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

score at Whitehaven.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

If we don't re-appear in this division then I can see us eventually joining the likes of Bramley, Huyton, Blackpool etc, teams who just get let go by the RFL.

Whilst I think all this talk of relegation is a little premature, what happens to the club if they do go down is surely in the hands of the board and supporters, not the rfl.

Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#42 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Make no mistake this team does not have the fight to win the important games that are to come. After yesterdays capitulation can anyone honestly see us going to Doncaster and winning thats if the team decide they have enough fight in them to win the remaining two home fixtures. One of them being Dewsbury who slaughtered us earlier this season.. We have one slim chance and that depends on the RL if we lose points we are down simple as.that. If they dock us points It will then be out of our hands. When you think back to the fight and commitment of last seasons team   you wonder what on earth has happened. Then you realise that as a club we have made so many mistakes as well as showing a complete lack of the ambition required of a forward thinking club to survive in this very important season. The buck stops at the board and the coaching staff who for once have let the club down. Wrong decitions have been made. We thaught we could survive with a team shorn of the depth needed when injuries kicked in . Bad signings of mediocre players has become the norm. Maybe we do have a apathetic public in Batley and our gates are a disgrace, they reflect a lack of interest by the people of the town. I hope as a long time and caring supporter that if the worst does happen we can rise once again and not become another Oldham ( no disrespect intended ) who have gone from the top to the bottem and struggled to reach those heights again. We have a good chairman and a hard working group of people at the club. Decitions have to be made and some of them may not be easy with the people they effect.

Edited by greavesy, 11 August 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#43 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Sack the coach!!!!

its all his fault

Youve had a fantasic run,punched above your weight for years and excelled with what you have for years..grand final last season

how on earth can you follow that on the resources available..losing the backbone of your team end of last season was your downfall
likes of flanagan,maun & co lads who always put a shift in for batley...big hearts

and money cant buy them

everything good comes to a end and usually
is followed by bad..

you can go out kicking and screaming like little
girls... or you can go out head held high knowing your best just wasnt good enough and accept your fate

ive held my head up a couple of times over the past few years...and bounced back

time to get your heads up ;)

#44 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,624 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Very true Gaz. Any business experiencing the season that we have had, with 'eyes off the ball' would hold an inquest at the very least , and make the appropriate changes in the responsible personnel. The future of our Club would appear to be a matter of the personal choice and ambition of the Chairman, if your comments are correct

Didn't a lot of your fans become shareholders a couple of seasons ago? If I'm right then they must have the opportunity to influence some of these decisions/ambitions won't they?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#45 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Didn't a lot of your fans become shareholders a couple of seasons ago? If I'm right then they must have the opportunity to influence some of these decisions/ambitions won't they?

When the so-called 'shares' were sold, a 'no voting rights' clause was inserted.
In truth, and as was the belief espoused by doubters at the time, they weren't real 'shares' at all - just a veiled donation to the club underpinned by a 'we want your money but not your opinion or input' policy.
I know one 'shareholder' who, around four years on from his purchase - and despite numerous requests to the relevant individuals, hasn't even received his 'share' certificate yet.

Edited by TheTerminator, 11 August 2014 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,624 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

When the so-called 'shares' were sold, a 'no voting rights' clause was inserted.
In truth, and as was the belief espoused by doubters at the time, they weren't real 'shares' at all - just a veiled donation to the club underpinned by a 'we want your money but not your opinion or input' policy.
I know one 'shareholder' who, around four years on from his purchase - and despite numerous requests to the relevant individuals, hasn't even received his 'share' certificate yet.

I see, but they are still shares of a sort aren't they? That will at least give those shareholders access to club accounts and such like I assume, just for their peace of mind if nothing else.

Who holds the voting rights?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

Some good points Greavesy. I don't think anybody is questioning the work ethic within the Club, or where the heart of the Chairman is. What people are questioning is the ability/capacity within the current management structure to meet the requirements of Championship rugby, when the ante has been upped over the past 2 seasons. We have not planned for what clearly has been needed, and were always aware of those needs.

If the Club has ambition to win back the ground we have lost this season through lack of planning and poor decision making, then they will make fairly radical changes within their management structure, with the possible use of outside expertise. A conversation with Ken Davy of Huddersfield Giants, our DR partners, would be a starting point for advice in this area. He has a high regard for our club, and I am sure would be happy to help Kevin and the Board.

I believe that the time has come now when the loyal band of paying supporters and volunteers want to see some real activity and change within the Club, to meet the ever challenging and increasing demands of our sport off the field, which radically affect the ability to field a competitive team on the field.

#48 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

Some good points Greavesy. I don't think anybody is questioning the work ethic within the Club, or where the heart of the Chairman is. What people are questioning is the ability/capacity within the current management structure to meet the requirements of Championship rugby, when the ante has been upped over the past 2 seasons. We have not planned for what clearly has been needed, and were always aware of those needs.

If the Club has ambition to win back the ground we have lost this season through lack of planning and poor decision making, then they will make fairly radical changes within their management structure, with the possible use of outside expertise. A conversation with Ken Davy of Huddersfield Giants, our DR partners, would be a starting point for advice in this area. He has a high regard for our club, and I am sure would be happy to help Kevin and the Board.

I believe that the time has come now when the loyal band of paying supporters and volunteers want to see some real activity and change within the Club, to meet the ever challenging and increasing demands of our sport off the field, which radically affect the ability to field a competitive team on the field.

Some absolutely excellent points there, Bulldog Days.
Unfortunately, I think that you're urinating in the wind.

Posted Image

#49 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

The Press reported on the share issue conditions in November 2009 BSJ.

Bulldogs fans get a share of the action
Friday 20th November 2009

' BATLEY BULLDOGS have begun to pay off debts after fans injected £20,000 into the club through a share issue.
The £250 shares are still available and the Bulldogs have sold just over half of the 200 offered by the directors.
The new shareholders met with directors at Mount Pleasant last Thursday evening, when chairman Kevin Nicholas explained the financial position of the club.
Weve started using the money to pay off debts so we can be in a strong financial position at the start of the season, he said.
The meeting was very encouraging and well keep the share offer open for the time being. We would like to sell them all and raise another £20,000 and until theyre all sold we wont appoint a new shareholder to the board of directors.
Well be holding regular meetings to keep the shareholders up to date and well keep them informed about our finances and explain about how the club is run.'

The voting rights of the shares are not mentioned BSJ, and as far as I am aware a 'shareholder representative' has not been appointed to the Board. I suspect, as per the article, that another class of share has been issued for fundraising purposes, without any attaching powers of voting.

#50 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,624 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

The Press reported on the share issue conditions in November 2009 BSJ.

Bulldogs fans get a share of the action
Friday 20th November 2009

' BATLEY BULLDOGS have begun to pay off debts after fans injected £20,000 into the club through a share issue.
The £250 shares are still available and the Bulldogs have sold just over half of the 200 offered by the directors.
The new shareholders met with directors at Mount Pleasant last Thursday evening, when chairman Kevin Nicholas explained the financial position of the club.
Weve started using the money to pay off debts so we can be in a strong financial position at the start of the season, he said.
The meeting was very encouraging and well keep the share offer open for the time being. We would like to sell them all and raise another £20,000 and until theyre all sold we wont appoint a new shareholder to the board of directors.
Well be holding regular meetings to keep the shareholders up to date and well keep them informed about our finances and explain about how the club is run.'

The voting rights of the shares are not mentioned BSJ, and as far as I am aware a 'shareholder representative' has not been appointed to the Board. I suspect, as per the article, that another class of share has been issued for fundraising purposes, without any attaching powers of voting.

Thanks for that BD, very interesting even if it is strictly none of my business. I thought at the time that this model could be one that other clubs might follow but had failed to be aware of the voting rights factor.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#51 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

It's a sad reflection on the Club Terminator, if constructive suggestions of help are totally ignored by them. We need to give them a chance to address the points that our true supporters can and have been clearly identifying during the course of the season (along with rival supporters as per the DR /ineligibility debacle), and then take a view on things.

#52 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,343 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

Sheffield could do you a massive favour next week, but current home form is shocking.

Aston's team talk should focus on whether the players fancy a 5 hour coach trip to Whitehaven next year or not.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#53 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

Mis-information is a terrible thing. The share certificates have voting rights and are equal in every way to those owned by the Chairman. As a forfeit for your post, may I advise that further shares are available and funds received will be spent on next seasons players. Just speak to the Chairman and explain you would like to support the club.

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#54 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Mis-information is a terrible thing. The share certificates have voting rights and are equal in every way to those owned by the Chairman. As a forfeit for your post, may I advise that further shares are available and funds received will be spent on next seasons players. Just speak to the Chairman and explain you would like to support the club.

If I am mis-informed, then of course I retract my post.
Out of interest, which issues/areas have shareholders been ask to cast their vote upon in the four-five years since they were purchased?

Posted Image

#55 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

If I am mis-informed, then of course I retract my post.
Out of interest, which issues/areas have shareholders been ask to cast their vote upon in the four-five years since they were purchased?

Maybe FredM could answer that most shareholders went for the free beer. The whole point was to help the club, which it did. buy enough and you would be able to call an egm and vote to your hearts content

#56 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

Maybe FredM could answer that most shareholders went for the free beer. The whole point was to help the club, which it did. buy enough and you would be able to call an egm and vote to your hearts content

If I am to buy some shares - as other fans have, I'd just like to know beforehand whether or not it would allow me the right to have my say - via a vote, on issues to do with the club. Is their any precedent towards which you could refer me? Whether or not I would be outvoted by my fellow shareholders and board members does not concern me. I just feel that democracy is an inherently important tenet of society which should be upheld at all costs. Once a closed shop is allowed to develop, a potentially damaging dictatorship soon emerges.

Posted Image

#57 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

If I am to buy some shares - as other fans have, I'd just like to know beforehand whether or not it would allow me the right to have my say - via a vote, on issues to do with the club. Is their any precedent towards which you could refer me? Whether or not I would be outvoted by my fellow shareholders and board members does not concern me. I just feel that democracy is an inherently important tenet of society which should be upheld at all costs. Once a closed shop is allowed to develop, a potentially damaging dictatorship soon emerges.

That happened 20 years ago Tom, but then you already know that mate.

#58 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

What if you are a shareholder and do not even get invited to the shareholders meeting ?. By the way i hope your health is on the up mate.

#59 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

What if you are a shareholder and do not even get invited to the shareholders meeting ?. By the way i hope your health is on the up mate.

Shush, he thinks no one knows who he actually is. ;)

#60 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

If you got invited you wouldn't attend a week early would you? Or would you.