Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheffields unfit for purpose stadium.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Just a thaught but if the worst happens  and we are relegated what about a official complaint against the state of Owlerton. There is no way that stadia has the minimum standards. And if the RL are seriose having grounds fit for purpose we have a case. As the highest club relegated we would replace Sheffield. After all if we do get relegated it was Sheffield who did the wingeing about Fairbanks. I am sure the Sheffield chairman and Aston would like that ( not ).

#2 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

The RFL are more than aware of the state of owlerton but with Sheffield not being a heartland club they get an exception. If it was Batley or Dewsbury we wouldn't have been allowed to play in this division this year let alone next.

#3 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

If we go down purely on a points deduction I think we should launch an appeal with regards to very poor running and planning of rugby league in the divisions outside super league. am pretty certain the rl would not welcome a long drawn out event whereby close scrutiny into what goes on behind closed doors at red hall would put them in a very good light.It maybe clutching at straws but anything s worth trying at the moment.we may even get lucky and someone goes bust and we are spared it didn,t do leigh too bad when gateshead collapsed.

#4 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Dont you think sheffield moaned and clutched
at straws to try safe their necks from the oblivion

despicable !!

cant imagine a set of people stooping so low

errr wait a minute ;)

i still believe batley wont go down!!

;) nothing ever goes right ;)

#5 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

If we go down purely on a points deduction I think we should launch an appeal with regards to very poor running and planning of rugby league in the divisions outside super league. am pretty certain the rl would not welcome a long drawn out event whereby close scrutiny into what goes on behind closed doors at red hall would put them in a very good light.It maybe clutching at straws but anything s worth trying at the moment.we may even get lucky and someone goes bust and we are spared it didn,t do leigh too bad when gateshead collapsed.

How about accepting your fate (assuming you do get relegated) and concentrate on building a team to get back out of Ch1 rather than this ridiculous suggestion of yours.

Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Just a thaught but if the worst happens  and we are relegated what about a official complaint against the state of Owlerton.

The RFL said it's fine.  You'd be asking them to say, no it isn't.  Good luck with that.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Absolutely clutching at a bunch of very brittle straws.

Posted Image

#8 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

If we are relegated (sorry when) we must accept our fate and move on. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD and we will be back

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,457 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

I believe that the RFL quietly shelved the minimum standards requirements part way through last season, based upon the fact that rigorously applying them might have sent a couple of (SL) clubs spiralling out of control. I have been informed, however, that there are a set of minimum requirements being established for the Championship next season that could prove interesting for Sheffield. No doubt they will find a way of avoiding them.

(On a completely seperate note why are they being allowed to play a game on CC Final weekend - I thought this wasn't allowed for all clubs except London Skolars.)

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

(On a completely seperate note why are they being allowed to play a game on CC Final weekend - I thought this wasn't allowed for all clubs except London Skolars.)

Au contraire, Johnny.  We're playing that weekend because the RFL insist upon it.  We wanted to play on a Wednesday evening in June (I forget which one).

But apparently Rochdale can't play on Wednesdays.

Which raises a whole new tranche of questions and "what ifs"...................

#11 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Sorry but this does not come into the equation IMO. If we are relegated due to a points deduction it is because our management and/or coaching staff either were not aware of the regulations or decided to ignore them. What if our match on that day had been at Fev or Donny or even Dewsbury? What if we had played Sheffield away the first match of the season? Would we be raising this as an issue?

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,457 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Au contraire, Johnny.  We're playing that weekend because the RFL insist upon it.  We wanted to play on a Wednesday evening in June (I forget which one).

But apparently Rochdale can't play on Wednesdays.

Which raises a whole new tranche of questions and "what ifs"...................

Well yes, rearranged games are supposed to be played within 10 days of the postponment aren't they? No doubt this was all due to Rochdale's completely unco-operative behaviour too.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Talking about sheffield's stadium to oldham's stadium the whitebank is just as bad. You may just get a repvire yet. Cold after match showers at oldham.

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Well yes, rearranged games are supposed to be played within 10 days of the postponement aren't they? No doubt this was all due to Rochdale's completely unco-operative behaviour too.

No, Johnny - you're way, way out of date.  That rule disappeared shortly after summer rugby came in.  Clubs quite rightly saw no point in rearranging games for cold, wet Wednesdays in January (I recall one Sheffield-Dewsbury game being played on a Wednesday in January) when there were ample pleasant spring and summer evenings later in the season.  In any case, there was always an over-ride that clubs could use a spare weekend fixture.

So what exactly is your point, Johnny ?  You think Rochdale should come on Bank Holiday Monday or it should have been played last February?  You've given both views in successive posts.

Edited by Griff, 11 August 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#15 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

Apparently rochdale can't play on Wednesdays. Sheffield can't play night games due to the floodlights at the postage stamp of a ground.
I would love Sheffield to get relegated due to the fact mark Aston is a complete plonk.
Us at Dewsbury have had some runs in with Sheffield eg playing at a college ground once they easily could of switched it to ours, but the clown Aston wanted to be a plonk again.
Our players and coaches refused to go for after match food cause of Aston which caused a big argument between the clubs.
Some bad blood between Dews and sheff all cause of Aston to.

#16 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

This is a really futile thread.
Sheffield were given the 'ok' by the games governing body to play their games at Owlerton. End of story.
We used an ineligible player during a game against them. This player then had a big influence on the result of that game. Sheffield were quite right to complain - as would any other club would have done.
Our own club then responds by somewhat childishly making tepid and seemingly unfounded allegations of wrongdoing against Sheffield - who let's not forget were absolutely right to make their complaint against us.
It's all a bit pathetic on our part quite frankly. A lot of it is, I would assert, borne out of jealousy at the Sheffield clubs ability to sign top quality players and achieve success despite having few of the advantages we have obviously failed to tap into.
Probably best that we forget about the Sheffield club and concentrate on how best to deal with our own, self-inflicted demise.

Edited by TheTerminator, 11 August 2014 - 03:30 PM.

Posted Image

#17 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Well guys I hope you do the business apart from Sunday of course. Good luck we need both heavy woollen teams in the championship next year.

#18 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

load a tosh,if we cant stay up by playing the game 100% then forget all the bullfodder,i think we might just pull it off yet so lets get behind the lads sunday to start off our next   9 points we need,we will need them all so pointless moaning about cougar park pies having no meat in them and were sat on massive timber 8x4s. :download:

lets stay up with some on the park biff/pride. :bb:

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Us at Dewsbury have had some runs in with Sheffield eg playing at a college ground once they easily could of switched it to ours, but the clown Aston wanted to be a plonk again.
Our players and coaches refused to go for after match food cause of Aston which caused a big argument between the clubs.
Some bad blood between Dews and sheff all cause of Aston to.

That can't be right.  Surely Dewsbury would know that Dewsbury's ground was the one ground in the country the game couldn't be played on.

It was only the season before that we'd been stopped by the RFL from playing a Sheffield v Dewsbury reserve grade game there because the RFL said that it would "distort" the competition (even though both clubs were waaaay down the field at the time).

Please check your facts before posting.

#20 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

This is a really futile thread.
Sheffield were given the 'ok' by the games governing body to play their games at Owlerton. End of story.
We used an ineligible player during a game against them. This player then had a big influence on the result of that game. Sheffield were quite right to complain - as would any other club would have done.
Our own club then responds by somewhat childishly making tepid and seemingly unfounded allegations of wrongdoing against Sheffield - who let's not forget were absolutely right to make their complaint against us.
It's all a bit pathetic on our part quite frankly. A lot of it is, I would assert, borne out of jealousy at the Sheffield clubs ability to sign top quality players and achieve success despite having few of the advantages we have obviously failed to tap into.
Probably best that we forget about the Sheffield club and concentrate on how best to deal with our own, self-inflicted demise.

So lets all ignore the ground minimum standards we will just concern ourselves with the mix up of the D/ R regulations. I do not think we tried to gain a unfair advantage. I do think certain clubs get favourable help from the RL. I did not enjoy the expieriance of Owlerton as i have said it is unfit to stage matches. Therefore they are bending the rules by playing there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users