Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Insipid and inept performance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vile rodders

vile rodders
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

I have just got back today from yesterdays pathetic performance,how can a team perform that bad in such an

important game there is absolutely no fight or spirit in them.Far too many times this season we have hauled

ourselves back into a game by half time only to come out in the second half and get completely overwhelmed

by no more than average teams.Our completion rate in the second half must have been about 20% how can 

you possibly win a game with that.It's strange but Whitehaven didn't seem to suffer from dropsy.We totally

deserve to be relegated because we've been abysmal for most of this season.I would go for young players

with ambition for next year leave the old has beens and never have beens alone.I am totally gutted with the

way we have rolled over in far too many games this season.Dewsbury will relegate us in our pink strip next week

no doubt about it and i don't think we can come back from it next season things will only get worse as income 

drops alarmingly with hardly any away support to bolster our very poor home crowds.RIP BATLEY.

#2 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

I have just got back today from yesterdays pathetic performance,how can a team perform that bad in such an
important game there is absolutely no fight or spirit in them.Far too many times this season we have hauled
ourselves back into a game by half time only to come out in the second half and get completely overwhelmed
by no more than average teams.Our completion rate in the second half must have been about 20% how can
you possibly win a game with that.It's strange but Whitehaven didn't seem to suffer from dropsy.We totally
deserve to be relegated because we've been abysmal for most of this season.I would go for young players
with ambition for next year leave the old has beens and never have beens alone.I am totally gutted with the
way we have rolled over in far too many games this season.Dewsbury will relegate us in our pink strip next week
no doubt about it and i don't think we can come back from it next season things will only get worse as income
drops alarmingly with hardly any away support to bolster our very poor home crowds.RIP BATLEY.

Wholeheartedly agree - should have built on last years success and instead have gone backwards - grand finalists to relegated in less than 12 months.

As for yesterday - it was utterly dire after an encouraging first half - we cannot win another game with only one half back. With Rowe and Paterson facing bans we have the joy of the return of Faal and Martin, who IMO wouldnt get in the Batley Boys team.

We are now feeling the effects of John Kear's appallingly bad recruitment policy.

We cant attract fans to games against championship clubs, so how we will get them in to watch Oxford or Coventry is anyones guess.

3 points docked on Thursday and a defeat in pink to Dewsbury and a Whitehaven win at Sheffield will just about nail the coffin shut.

The death knell has sounded and the slow painful death of the club has begun.

Totally gutted about the whole situation.

Ill join you in the last bit - RIP Batley RLFC.

Edited by buford t justice, 11 August 2014 - 06:27 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#3 reg gasnier

reg gasnier
  • Facebook
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Graystons still waiting to make his debut ,but I don't think he's allowed to play against Dewsbury ,not saying he's gonna win the game but I know he's itching to try

#4 Mark B

Mark B
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Graystons still waiting to make his debut ,but I don't think he's allowed to play against Dewsbury ,not saying he's gonna win the game but I know he's itching to try

He should have been played at 6 on Sunday IMO . That second half performance was pathetic god knows how many knock on"s error after error . Think we were in there half for 1 set that's all . This season has been painful to watch in the vast majority of games . It all stems back to awful recruiting at the season start with numbers in the squad relying on dual reg which will now come to roost Thursday with a points deduction. There is hardly any fight in this team we cannot score points miles greenwood excluded and browny who isn't even ours . Sorry to say but this team is going down and nobody can complain at all we deserve to go , it's been self inflicted . We have lost the batley spirits factor as far as I am concerned . Handforth , Lindsey and possibly Mauny would have give this lot plenty of fight and spirit . Punched above our weight for far too long and it's caught us up . 2013 grand finalists to almost certain relegation fodder in the space of a year . Very very depressing indeed
Posted Image

#5 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Disagree bulford martin is going to come good but like vinny hardly given a proper runout they are both in one week out the next . So how are they going to kick on when not playing .also charlie vets put in 2nd row when not big enough or on par with davis or scott . Didnt make the game but with no 6 why not try nicho surly better than a second rower playing there.

#6 phildog

phildog
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:21 AM

Blake could have played 6, but then if Nicholson had been straight in at 9 we'd have been a man short as sub. As Kear likes 4 forwards, then as you say Martin isn't quite big enough, but we were told that he was a centre/2nd rower when he signed, so who's judgment is right? We then put Brev in the centre who doesn't like playing there by his own admission. Everybody complains about Faal, why? He's had a few good games for us but has never had a long run in the side, even when not suspended, and he always did well against us for Dewsbury. Then of course we've got the rediculous situation of 2 forwards out on loan, whilst we're borrowing off somebody else, and we're told that we couldn't bring 1 back because it was still within the first month of his loan. Pardon? If we're short, then that loanee is our player, clubs who have loaned us players have been quick enough to have theirs back when needed, why not us? This season has been a complete disaster on the playing, recruitment and administrative sides and needs putting to bed asap in the hope that this close season the board and coach will get out there and hammer a few doors down to give us a squad to storm back. Get out to SL clubs and pick up players who are really knocking hard on the door yet not quite there yet, or even a few old heads getting shunted sideways, but who fancy picking up another medal before they opt for pipe and slippers. Get in touch with Glen Tomlinson, get his views on an Aussie or two, anything to attract a bit of flair and style, that's been almost non-existent without Black and sometimes missing with him, and I'm pretty sure we've seen the last of him in a Dogs shirt. How long is Leek away from fit, he looked able until his injury, he must be able to start next season. Recruitment now has to take centre stage and be better thought out than this years', forget Giants and there non-existent DR help. Look how many we've had from them this season only to see them get called back and moved on somewhere else. We need our own men, men proud to be in our team.

#7 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

I agree with you on most of your points faal defence well what defence i was at fev when vinny was getting left 2 on one everytime they came down that side. Vinny copped a lot of flack that day as did charlie i dont like it when players do their best but then get slated its not fair and shouldnt happen. Recruitment well lets just hope lessons learnt over waiting too long before offering terms to.exsiting players . Scott ,davis,baz,chandler ,rowr ,vinny must keep to get us up rest release or offer less money because they have been dire. Lack of spirt and leadership missing all season greenwood i would love him to stay but i reckon he will be back in halifax colours next year .

#8 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

Disagree bulford martin is going to come good but like vinny hardly given a proper runout they are both in one week out the next . So how are they going to kick on when not playing .also charlie vets put in 2nd row when not big enough or on par with davis or scott . Didnt make the game but with no 6 why not try nicho surly better than a second rower playing there.

Nicholson at half back seems a good idea to me Toffee

#9 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

You must be watching a different player to the rest of us then.

Same for all the squad, if you arent good enough you wont get in, and hes been very poor whenever hes been in the side.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#10 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

You must be watching a different player to the rest of us then.

Same for all the squad, if you arent good enough you wont get in, and hes been very poor whenever hes been in the side.

Agree. 'The Package' has offered very little in my opinion.

Posted Image

#11 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

Martin and Faal would be the first two players I would be crossing off at the end of the season.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,