Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Callum Phillips.....

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

Wouldn't slag a mate off, if yer wanna keep Karl happy maybe start playing him in his preferred position.

He has just signed for another year!! Must be happy! Always seems happy at Town when I talk to him!

#42 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Wouldn't slag a mate off, if yer wanna keep Karl happy maybe start playing him in his preferred position.

And what position would be haven99,i have watched karl from his first match with towns youngsters and i rate karl in the centre position which is where he started.I still say thats his best position but the coach prefers him at 9 or 13,me,he would be at 3.
Posted Image

#43 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

And what position would be haven99,i have watched karl from his first match with towns youngsters and i rate karl in the centre position which is where he started.I still say thats his best position but the coach prefers him at 9 or 13,me,he would be at 3.

Would never have him in the back line now proper middle of the park player. Loves the involvement and the contact.

#44 Haven99

Haven99
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Not in the back line?? He started as a winger and got BARLA as a full back went too Bradford on trial and scored 2 try's on debut as a centre so you tell me were he should play mark Jackson syndrome going on

#45 bomberisgod

bomberisgod
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

Not in the back line?? He started as a winger and got BARLA as a full back went too Bradford on trial and scored 2 try's on debut as a centre so you tell me were he should play mark Jackson syndrome going on

i am sure Mr Veivers knows where he wants to play Karl.

#46 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

There's been plenty of props and long time forwards who started off on the wing or back line . They evolve , and Karl , whatever his early days , looks best suited to the middle the way he plays the game

#47 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

If we stay up the Championship teams will have an overseas quota of 5 next season.    I wonder how many will take advantage of this?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#48 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

The huge financial disparities are the overriding feature in that league . There's no level playing field , regardless of the rules , as money determines things . It's as if they want to determine the positions in the league before we all start ! The massive differences are ridiculous , for clubs playing in the same league !! Us , haven and clubs like Keighley are at the bottom of a massive hill , with the rest staggered aways up it to begin with . And Bradford and London , tooled up with a million quid ( Bradford will have more than this year in SL ! ) will already be near the top . And unlike athletics , the worst teams have the handicap !!

Edited by DavidM, 15 August 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#49 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

The wasting of Jackos talents was all your doing not ours.
Also I said I wouldn't have Karl in the back line now, certainly not doubting how good he was there in his amateur days

#50 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

The wasting of Jackos talents was all your doing not ours.
Also I said I wouldn't have Karl in the back line now, certainly not doubting how good he was there in his amateur days

yeah Karl's not a back. He's a top quality player but he dosent pass nearly enough to play centre. We need his work rate down the middle and he's as strong as an Ox, I think he's be wasted out wide. 2nd row or loose for me.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#51 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

If we stay up the Championship teams will have an overseas quota of 5 next season. I wonder how many will take advantage of this?

my thoughts too Keith. It's an area that has fallen by the wayside for town barring Connor who never really stood out. A good overseas aqusition can make all the difference.

Edited by town4me, 15 August 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#52 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Sheffield are already there aren't they ! The non-quota aspect could stretch it even more . Don't know if jimmy is still in with Fiji , but those islanders are a fair size !!

Edited by DavidM, 15 August 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#53 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Yeah Jimmy send us a few mate

#54 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

So what!? Just because you play one position at the start of your career dosnt mean you cant change to another.Stack came over here as a winger didnt he??
I like Karl at hooker but wherever he plays he is affective!

#55 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

Right Cato . Not just a great work rate in attack and defence , but quality work to . And as this thread shows , utility value to play in more than a couple of spots without losing his effect . He just will do what Karl does.

#56 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

Karl bosses the opposition with his strength where ever he plays. Top player and it's great to have him back on board

#57 Haven99

Haven99
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

Think you will find Stack came over as a prop, the position he played for Aussie school boys!

#58 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

Think you will find Stack came over as a prop, the position he played for Aussie school boys!

he came over as a winger marra wasn,t the assize schoolboys he played for but he represented the aussies at some level

#59 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

again you are wrong. He played on the wing for the Aussie school boys, Dave Rotherham started using him as a prop.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#60 Townie123

Townie123
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

I think olstroms a centre all day - look at his try versus hunslet last year was it... Crying out for space

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users