TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Foreign Office minister quits over 'intolerable' expenses rules

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

http://www.theguardi...-expenses-rules

If he can't afford to live in London on his salary and expenses, how does he think anyone else manages to do so on far, far less in the low wage economy his party champions so much?

Good riddance to another clueless, out of touch, selfish grasper, IMO.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

He will be quitting because he can make more money and/or have a better lifestyle outside Parliament. Whilst he not be poor as an MP, he might be poorer than he would be going back to running his Hertfordshire property company.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

He will be quitting because he can make more money and/or have a better lifestyle outside Parliament. Whilst he not be poor as an MP, he might be poorer than he would be going back to running his Hertfordshire property company.

He's quitting because he cannot fleece the taxpayer like he thought he could!

LUNEW.jpg

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

Bu1rB7kIQAAfDet.png

Says it all really. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

http://www.theguardi...-expenses-rules

If he can't afford to live in London on his salary and expenses, how does he think anyone else manages to do so on far, far less in the low wage economy his party champions so much?

Good riddance to another clueless, out of touch, selfish grasper, IMO.

Whilst I agree with your post in principle, the issue is more that the guy needs a second home in London, so it's not as if he could (or necessarily should) pay for a 2nd home out of his salary. 

The expenses of £3k per month however should be enough to get him somewhere on the outskirts of London - it's his choice of not wanting to live outside of the centre that is an issue here and where he loses all sympathy from me.

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

Whilst I agree with your post in principle, the issue is more that the guy needs a second home in London, so it's not as if he could (or necessarily should) pay for a 2nd home out of his salary. 

The expenses of £3k per month however should be enough to get him somewhere on the outskirts of London - it's his choice of not wanting to live outside of the centre that is an issue here and where he loses all sympathy from me.

£2,500 a month gets him a generous two bedroom flat within a five minute walk of his office.  Rightmove.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Why does he need a second home? Thousands of us have to work in London, and elsewhere, and are expected to stay in hotel accommodation. However, we have to do so on far less generous terms, staying within the HMRC expenses rules.

Edited by Griff9of13, 12 August 2014 - 01:29 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

£2,500 a month gets him a generous two bedroom flat within a five minute walk of his office.  Rightmove.

I only had a 30 second scan tbh, and did put 4 bedrooms due to his 3 kids.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Why does he need a second home? Thousands of us have to work in London, and elsewhere, and are expected to stay in hotel accommodation. However, we have to do so on far less generous terms, staying within the HMRC expenses rules.

I wouldn't work in London for an extended period working in hotels - in any case, those expenses could easily increase way above the £36k per year.

Didn't somebody suggest using an Olympic Village style idea for MP's etc and no expenses? I quite liked the sound of that. I suspect security would need to be tight though!

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

If he's desperate for 3 kids to be there he'll have to slum it in a spacious 3 bedroom flat in Marylebone. £2,578pcm.

Five minute walk from Hyde Park, ten minute cycle to work.

Edited by gingerjon, 12 August 2014 - 01:44 PM.

- Severus, July 2012

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Entering this topic is like entering a 1950s pub...a bunch of  typical last-century class-war labour lags sitting in their smoke-filled corner whining to themselves about price of mild and Woodbines whilst their working class heroes take the ###### out of them by flipping their second mansions.    :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

#12 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Why doesn't he just get used to living within his means, as everyone else has to do? It's not compulsory for children to have a room of their own ffs, especially when Johnny Taxpayer is expected to foot the bill.

Parliament is well shot of people like him, who expect to be able to lecture the populace about austerity and belt-tightening but steadfastly refuse to believe any of that nonsense should apply to their own standard of living.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#13 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

Entering this topic is like entering a 1950s pub...a bunch of  typical last-century class-war labour lags sitting in their smoke-filled corner whining to themselves about price of mild and Woodbines whilst their working class heroes take the ###### out of them by flipping their second mansions.    :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Do you actually read the posts on here or just read the topic title and respond to what you imagine people would say if they conformed to your imagined image? There is often very little correlation between your responses to what has actually been said. 

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

Do you actually read the posts on here or just read the topic title and respond to what you imagine people would say if they conformed to your imagined image? There is often very little correlation between your responses to what has actually been said. 

Not just me then.

- Severus, July 2012

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

If he's desperate for 3 kids to be there he'll have to slum it in a spacious 3 bedroom flat in Marylebone. £2,578pcm.

Five minute walk from Hyde Park, ten minute cycle to work.

Pah, that'd mean 2 of his kids sharing.

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Why doesn't he just get used to living within his means, as everyone else has to do? It's not compulsory for children to have a room of their own ffs, especially when Johnny Taxpayer is expected to foot the bill.

Parliament is well shot of people like him, who expect to be able to lecture the populace about austerity and belt-tightening but steadfastly refuse to believe any of that nonsense should apply to their own standard of living.

Fair comment, I agree that it is hardly a tough life, but the couple's combined salaries of £114k is not exactly out of this world, I think the second property living expenses is a nothing cost as it is a requirement that he works away from home, so I am ok with it (although not his issue about living just outside London where he could get a home in his price range).

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Pah, that'd mean 2 of his kids sharing.

I know.  Such suffering.

Thing is, we all know zone 1 rents are crazy but they're really not so crazy that someone with 36k per year to spend isn't going to be able to find a place.  There are plenty of options.  If he is genuinely using it as an excuse then he is either looking for houses that don't actually exist (large family homes with gardens and garages) or neither he nor his staff can do a google search.  Or he's an idiot.

His salary is massive.  His expenses, on a very generous scheme, make his salary even sweeter.  He even gets to employ his wife.

Stuff like this makes me think we shouldn't allow rich people to be MPs.  They don't compare their lot with the real world - they compare it to their peers for whom this really is button money.  I'd rather we had a proper working class hero who can fight to reduce the price of woodbines.  It's what we all want down the pub.

- Severus, July 2012

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

His constituency is in Lincolnshire. In London, His responsibilities are not just as an MP but as a Government Minister with responsibility for African Affairs. His business is based in Hertfordshire. On top of that, he has to try and maintain a family life.

He has probably been told he won't be a senior minister in a re-elected government and has decided to quit in time for a proper selection process to be implemented in Lincolnshire.

Seems like a sensible choice by a sensible bloke.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#19 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

He gets 36K a year for his living expenses alone. 36K. I've lived in this city all my life and I know couples who don't earn that much, never mind being given it as a top up to their 115K combined salary. It's beyond sickening, really, and yet we get jokers not only defending him but taking the proverbial out of anyone daring to condemn this moron. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#20 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

His constituency is in Lincolnshire. In London, His responsibilities are not just as an MP but as a Government Minister with responsibility for African Affairs. His business is based in Hertfordshire. On top of that, he has to try and maintain a family life.

He has probably been told he won't be a senior minister in a re-elected government and has decided to quit in time for a proper selection process to be implemented in Lincolnshire.

Seems like a sensible choice by a sensible bloke.

If he was a sensible bloke, he wouldn't have mentioned expenses at all as his reason for quitting. He would realise what a good crack he's actually on as an MP, compared to the vast majority of those whom he is supposed to represent.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users