Why the empty seats?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 irishfan

irishfan
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Leeds vs Warrington, two of the best teams in the country, playing in a semi-final and only 9,000 in attendance.

Maybe be I'm a bit naive in thinking this but this game should have been played in front of 25, 30, or even 40 thousand.

Leeds get about 15k for home matches, warrington 10k. There's 25k for a start!!

You would imagine there would be a few closet fans who jump on the bangwagon when a team reaches the semis. Plus, I'm sure there would be a bit of neutral interest in the game/occasion.

Why was the attendance so low?

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

While you are absolutely correct, its just the way it is in RL.

#3 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Because the CC been treated as second rate for past few years. Early rounds...then hide the semis...then play the final the day after. Stupid. Breath life into this fab comp....earlier in season and with focused rounds.

#4 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Anyone see the Roosters game on premier sports yesterday, talking of empty seats.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#5 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

In the 50s and 60s and probably the 70s the challenge cup got the biggest crowds and it was the main competion.In association football the Fa cup has gone down in importance too.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#6 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

I thought the attendance was 12,132?

Whilst it wasn't a great attendance there has been a longer term decline. Plus both sides have appeared in so many finals recently that a semi-final doesn't mean as much as it once did. Counter this to the Widnes-Cas game that got almost the same attendance despite a much lower combined average attendance.

In reality making the semi-finals isn't necessarily a great achievement for many clubs. All Widnes had to do was beat Salford and then a few Championship clubs, it's not quite the difficulty that it probably should be.  

#7 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

RL must be the only sport were play offs and big cup games get less in attendance than a run of the mill league game. Never understood why any fan would go and watch a team all season then not want to attend the big games. Bizarre

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

this game should have been played in front of 25, 30, or even 40 thousand.

Why? Since when has attendance compulsory?

When  games are on free-to-air terrestrial TV, crowds are generally much lower than when its not on.  There is a huge body of evidence to support this.

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

He's rather naively assuming that RL fans might actually attend the game. He clearly knows nothing of the mile long list of excuses.

Nb this was a CC game but could be any one of a list of big RL games.

#10 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

Season Tickets...

We actually do a pretty good job of getting casual fans to attend during the season. The majority just won't travel however. 

#11 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

The most common answer I've heard over the years: "I'm not going paying for tickets and paying to get there when it's on telly for nowt"

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

I remember being at Odsal for a semi involving those nobodies, Featherstone, when there were over 30,000 there. The Cup has certainly regressed from those days.

#13 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Because the CC been treated as second rate for past few years. Early rounds...then hide the semis...then play the final the day after. Stupid. Breath life into this fab comp....earlier in season and with focused rounds.

I'm not sure that is the answer, but maybe.

I just don't see why playing it earlier in the season will make the big difference.   It has lost its Kudos for sure. Except the final is still an event, although even there you don't get sell outs. However, it is still a showpiece for the sport and hence maximum marketing of the final should always be a priority to capture the non regular attending fans of sport that the Olympics, RLWC, Commonwealth Games and Grand Depart showed exists in the publics appetite.   

The Grand Final and associated play-offs has contributed to stripping the CC cup of some of its attraction to the casual fan. Plus the limited number of clubs that tend to dominate the silver-ware nowadays. Will be interesting now that Castleford have revived old glories and what impact it has on attendance at the final given the Derby nature of the game too.  Should help with marketing the game.

Both the play-offs and the CC have problems in attracting fans attendance as both struggle, even at the semi stages, to sell tickets as demonstrated by the venues chosen.

As I say I just don't see why moving the CC to earlier in season will make attendances dastically increase, nor have the games played closer together. The grand-final play-off semi's show that it won't make much difference.

Edited by redjonn, 12 August 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#14 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

I remember being at Odsal for a semi involving those nobodies, Featherstone, when there were over 30,000 there. The Cup has certainly regressed from those days.

When I was 9 and Featherstone got to Wembley it was the first time I had travelled outside Yorkshire - it was a massive thing to me.

By the time my son was 9 he had been to Canada, USA, China, Australia, NZ, Hong Kong, France, Dubai, Japan and Italy. He had also been to London more than a dozen times.

Different eras, different worlds.

Edited by Scubby, 12 August 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#15 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

The last 5 semis Warrington have been in have not had massive difference in the numbers attending, the match against Huddersfield at Salford had the lowest, the first against Wigan the highest. But the two sides who you would expect to bring more Wigan and Leeds brought fewer fans to the games. Maybe their success has diminished the appeal of semi finals. All clubs get a giant jump in attending the final but if you reach regular finals this will see this number reducing at subsequent finals,

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

In the 50s and 60s and probably the 70s the challenge cup got the biggest crowds and it was the main competion.In association football the Fa cup has gone down in importance too.

I think the 70s is pushing it 

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Leeds vs Warrington, two of the best teams in the country, playing in a semi-final and only 9,000 in attendance.

Maybe be I'm a bit naive in thinking this but this game should have been played in front of 25, 30, or even 40 thousand.

Leeds get about 15k for home matches, warrington 10k. There's 25k for a start!!

You would imagine there would be a few closet fans who jump on the bangwagon when a team reaches the semis. Plus, I'm sure there would be a bit of neutral interest in the game/occasion.

Why was the attendance so low?

The attendance wasn't 9,000.  That was the BBC just making up stuff.  It was 12,000.

The Warrington fans turned up in good numbers.  The Leeds fans less so. 

I was thinking of going as a neutral but when I asked for the price of a seat in the neutral area of the ground I was told £28.00 so that was the end of that idea!  I'll pay that amount to watch Saints in a semi final or any international game but I'm afraid it's too much for me to pay to watch two other clubs play.

#18 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

Because the RFL booked a small stadium....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#19 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

I'd like to see venues / councils bid to host the central RFL events, and share some of the burden of marketing the matches.

We should invite bids and announce two non-RL circa 25k grounds that will host the semis (or even just one to host both) in January and start flogging tickets straight away.

As somebody who did PR, comms and marketing for RLWC2013 last year, I can't emphasise enough how much of a difference it made.

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Actually Featherstone in 1960 played in a semi with a crowd just a few shy of 56,000 by 1974 when they played in a semi it was down to a little under 8k.

This isn't a new phenomenon,

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users