New Aussie RU comp changes points scoring system

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Obviously we don't do the same in RL because you can't improve on perfection ;)

Other than playing about with interchanges, I think you're probably right.

From where the game is now, what else could be done that would be an improvement? I liked the rule they used in the NRL 9s with the variable try values, but I don't think that would improve the full game. The scoring is about right, 2 markers is fine, 40/20 is the one unique rule league has that I'd love union to try. 10 metres is fine for the pro game, although I could see why it might discourage amateurs of dubious fitness, but I'm not sure changing it would help.

Actually, no, there is one thing- I'd make the refs get the cards out quicker. But that's not a change to the game, just enforcing the rules that are there already really.

#22 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Here's a wikipedia link that shows the differences between northern and southern hemisphere rugby league laws. I know no rugby league fan who thinks its sane that the NRL or SL can arbitrarily change the laws to suit themselves or their sponsors without at least discussing it with their counterparts.

Surely big Nige will sort out that sorry state of affairs now he is chairman of the RLIF.... or maybe not. :(
  • ckn likes this

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#23 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Here's a wikipedia link that shows the differences between northern and southern hemisphere rugby league laws.  I know no rugby league fan who thinks its sane that the NRL or SL can arbitrarily change the laws to suit themselves or their sponsors without at least discussing it with their counterparts.

I was only joking ckn

#24 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

I was only joking ckn

I know but plenty of others just don't get it!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#25 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

Union in Australia is struggling to survive as a Pro Sport. The Franchises lose millions each year  and if it wasnt for the Wannabies the ARU would be even further behind and even further in debt. It was over 20,000 short for the Super 15s Grand Final with the Sydney team in the final. Its no secret that the ARU are short of cash and in probably one of the toughest markets and with NRL, AFL and now the A League getting more money and power they are desperate to try something new. So they hope by trying to be more like League and try and get a more running game than the kick and scrum marathon it often is will bring in new fans. Problem is as far as I understand it is that that there is no Union on Free TV but only on the Pay Foxtel TV. Foxtel TV already have payed good money for the AFL and NRL and believe they show the FA Cup Australia or whatever its name is. So I dont think Union will get that more exposure than it does. Also most of the top players wont be involved as they are playing in other comps. At grassroots level Union in struggling to compete with AFL and League and even more so Soccer which has forced its way in to both public and private Schools I cant see this doing much to improve the state of Union in Australia as its fallen so far behind and simply doesnt have the money or power of the other 3 and its top youngsters are going to other sports. Its top Pro players can earn far more in Europe and Japan and by going overseas give up the chance to play for the Wannabies. The ARU need to do something far more than have a second rate comp missing the best Australian players and some new points scoring system.

#26 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

It was over 20,000 short for the Super 15s Grand Final with the Sydney team in the final. 

Wait.

The largest ever Super Rugby crowd is 20,000 short?

#27 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

Wait.

The largest ever Super Rugby crowd is 20,000 short?

61,823 in a Stadium which holds 83,500 is well over 20,000 short of selling out despite the Waratahs being in the final for the first time in many years. The NRL for example gets 80,000 no matter if there are no Sydney Teams in the final like 2006. Sydney is supposed to be a Rugby Union heartland! The fact is muppet the Super Rugby 15s Final failed by a Long way to even get Close to selling out and only 357,000 watched it on TV,  as Free TV doesnt see the Point in showing it. You and your friends can try and pretend things are OK with rah rah in Australia but the Facts Show otherwise at so many Levels and why Union is going backwards in Australia compared to a few years ago. The NRL, AFL and A-League are killing Union and it has no answers to really fight back

#28 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

OH MY GOD! It was the largest crowd ever for a Super Rugby final. That must mean the end of rugby union.

What shall I do!

#29 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

OH MY GOD! It was the largest crowd ever for a Super Rugby final. That must mean the end of rugby union.

What shall I do!

Didnt say the end of Union I said its struggling big time both at pro and Amateur Level in Australia. If you can Show me some evidence that Rah Rah is not struggling then please do.

#30 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

61,823 in a Stadium which holds 83,500 is well over 20,000 short of selling out despite the Waratahs being in the final for the first time in many years. The NRL for example gets 80,000 no matter if there are no Sydney Teams in the final like 2006. Sydney is supposed to be a Rugby Union heartland! The fact is muppet the Super Rugby 15s Final failed by a Long way to even get Close to selling out and only 357,000 watched it on TV,  as Free TV doesnt see the Point in showing it. You and your friends can try and pretend things are OK with rah rah in Australia but the Facts Show otherwise at so many Levels and why Union is going backwards in Australia compared to a few years ago. The NRL, AFL and A-League are killing Union and it has no answers to really fight back

So by that token Rugby League in the UK is struggling.It's showpiece events fail to sell out, Internationals are virtually ignored and there's none of it's main club competition on FTA TV. RU and Football are seeing growth in spectators and get higher and higher figures in revenue from broadcasting and attendance each year.

Or does that not apply the other way?

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#31 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Couple of posts removed, one slightly edited.

Please don't insult each other. It's against our rules.

Thanks.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#32 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

So by that token Rugby League in the UK is struggling.It's showpiece events fail to sell out, Internationals are virtually ignored and there's none of it's main club competition on FTA TV. RU and Football are seeing growth in spectators and get higher and higher figures in revenue from broadcasting and attendance each year.

League doesnt Claim to be a Major code in the UK- its a minority Sport and seen as such by fans and media a like. Rah Rah is a minority Sport in Australia- not that a number of Rah Rah fans or its media friends will admit it. As for crowds growing in Australia for Rah Rah seems you are mistaken.

QLD Reds 2013 31,848  2014 28190

Brumbies  2013 14,749  2014 13,100

Rebels      2013 11,931  2014 11,396

Force        2013 12,631  2014 12,786

Only the Waratahs saw any real increase in crowds, which is not surprising with the success they had.

http://rugby.statbunker.com/

#33 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

This must stop now.  It goes against everything union fans hold dear.  We are constantly reminded on this forum by our union guests that:

• try's are unimportant
  • ball in play time is irrelevant
  • speed of play is irrelevant
  • penalties are extremely important and;
  • the set piece scrum / line out is paramount and essential to the game - providing orgasmic like enjoyment
Yet, all of the bullet points above are being explicitly attacked by these new experimental rules.  Either the fans are lieing, or the International union heirarchy is completely out of touch with what the fans want.  Which is it guys?

They might as well dump lineouts and reduce the players to 13 whilst they are at it.

Next season bring in the play the ball and 6 tackles.

#34 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

I do get the impression that Australian RU wants to be more like RL and given the popularity of RL in Australia I can see why.

Yeah. Didn't having to bounce the ball into touch from a kick come from Aussie RU who got it from watching RL.

#35 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Both the Challenge Cup Final and the Grand final attract 70,000. The World Cup final attracted nearer 75,000 and sold out.
What's the top RU attendance you are purring about, 61,000 or something.

#36 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Both the Challenge Cup Final and the Grand final attract 70,000. The World Cup final attracted nearer 75,000 and sold out.

Millennium Stadium capacity 72500

Murrayfield Capacity 67800

Twickenham Capacity 82000

But that wasn't the point I was making. I was suggesting that in fact Rugby League is doing OK, actually better than OK, in the UK and that perhaps Lounge Room Lizard was being a bit OTT in his assessment of the state of RU in Australia, particularly as I don't think he lives any where near the place.

I should't bring my RU inspired Subtlety and Nuances to the conversation.  :tongue:

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#37 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Millennium Stadium capacity 72500

Murrayfield Capacity 67800

Twickenham Capacity 82000

But that wasn't the point I was making. I was suggesting that in fact Rugby League is doing OK, actually better than OK, in the UK and that perhaps Lounge Room Lizard was being a bit OTT in his assessment of the state of RU in Australia, particularly as I don't think he lives any where near the place.

I should't bring my RU inspired Subtlety and Nuances to the conversation.  :tongue:

No you shouldn't perhaps there is a helpline you can contact for that though. I once knew a carpenter who fell under the influence of RU subtly and nuance. Throwing away his hammer he was bashing 6 inch nails into roofing joists with his forehead. "Judge me by the complexity and story  this adds to the build and not the fact that i'm showing literally no perceivable skills but charging a fortune to the customer". That is exactly what he said! A sad sad social ill.

#38 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

No you shouldn't perhaps there is a helpline you can contact for that though. I once knew a carpenter who fell under the influence of RU subtly and nuance. Throwing away his hammer he was bashing 6 inch nails into roofing joists with his forehead. "Judge me by the complexity and story  this adds to the build and not the fact that i'm showing literally no perceivable skills but charging a fortune to the customer". That is exactly what he said! A sad sad social ill.

You are Eric Cantona and I claim my £5.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#39 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

That S15 attendance is is a record attendance for the competition which by anybody's criteria should be seen as a positive. Whilst definitely being behind the the NRL grand final in popularity it comfortably higher than 9 of the 12 RL world cup final attendances and comfortably ahead   of any RLWC held in Australia despite claims of it being the 5th or 6th most popular sport in Australia. Also i RU is still "arguably" still the most popular sport in Australia at international level. The comparison with RL is a good comparison because domestic RL in England and domestic RU in Australia have problems that require restructuring. RU seems pretty resilient in Australia given it has been consistently struggling since 2002, it could be argued in reality RU in Australia has never been so popular albeit with financial issues at Super 15 level and central contracts of players. This is  not helped by damn awful administration of epic proportions.

#40 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

They might as well dump lineouts and reduce the players to 13 whilst they are at it.

Next season bring in the play the ball and 6 tackles.

I believe they have tried this at Harlequins, how did that go ? They have a similar option in France. The ELV changes that had similar proclamations of RU becoming RL resulted in falling attendances and more tactical kicking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users