- - - - -

Tetley's Stadium to host Heavy Woollen Finals

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Click here for the latest news from Dewsbury Rams.

Edited by Tom Coates, 13 August 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#2 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Thursday's Finals night at the stadium was a great success.

The matches were organised by Heavy Woollen Amateur Rugby League, but the club played its own important part.

We ran a full scoreboard service with player photos and accurate in-game clock, all the usual PA announcements and we even had 'We are the Champions' queued up for the trophy presentations, which took place in the area just above the tunnel.

The bar in the Royal Suite was open for business and by the start of the second game there was barely a spare seat to be had in the north stand, with a few dozen supporters also standing at the front to the left of the stand.

The event was well covered by media on the night too.

It all made a for a cracking atmosphere and the club, in my opinion, further enhanced its reputation as a perfect venue for central, showpiece events.

On the pitch, the four competing teams all played their part in two good games.

Shaw Cross Sharks A scored two late tries to take the game away from Dewsbury Celtic A and win the John Kane Cup, though Celtic scored two tries of genuine class - with former Ram Richard Tillotson dictating play at half-back and Nathan Lawrence really looking the part at full-back.

Playing for Sharks A was Richard Piper - captain of Cleckheaton RU, who'll play in National League One next year. He did take man of the match, but he was just one of quote a few stand-outs.

In the second game, Shaw Cross had to come from behind in the final minutes to beat Thornhill, who amazingly took the lead just minutes after former Rams Academy player Ben Kendall was sent off for punching. I actually thought Kendall had a great game up until that point!

Danny Flowers looked good at stand-off for the Sharks, Derrell Olpherts had a great game at full-back and was named man of the match, Will Poching (son of Willie) looked useful at hooker and I thought young second rower Ryan Chalkley looked really promising. Same kind of build as Dane Manning and could be one for the future.

Rob Kelly and Danny Ratcliffe were out there for Thornhill, with Ratcliffe putting in a real all-action display and scoring two tries.

I'm sure I've missed a few players out - and all 68 men on duty deserve credit for their performances in tough conditions. The match officials did a fine job too.

Andy Kelly was in attendance with his family to watch his son play, and he made a point of coming up to say hello to a few old Rams colleagues.

Well done to HWARL for organising a great night, and well done to club staff for staging it so smoothly.

It was the perfect way to showcase our club and stadium to the local Rugby League community after our recent improvements. Overheard a few commenting on how they'd not been down for a while and were impressed by how things have progressed, on and off the field.

I'm not sure what the plans are for next year, but I hope it can become a tradition in that Thursday night slot ahead of Challenge Cup weekend. A great way to head into Wembley!

If you couldn't make it this year then I strongly urge you to come down in 2015. With careful nurturing and the support of local people, this already successful event could develop into something very special.

Edited by Tom Coates, 26 August 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#3 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

The matches were organised by Heavy Woollen Amateur Rugby League, but the club played its own important part.

We ran a full scoreboard service with player photos and accurate in-game clock, all the usual PA announcements and we even had 'We are the Champions' queued up for the trophy presentations, which took place in the area just above the tunnel.

The bar in the Royal Suite was open for business and by the start of the second game there was barely a spare seat to be had in the north stand, with a few dozen supporters also standing at the front to the left of the stand.

It all made a for a cracking atmosphere and the club, in my opinion, further enhanced its reputation as a perfect venue for central, showpiece events.

Shaw Cross Sharks A scored two late tries to take the game away from Dewsbury Celtic A and win the John Kane Cup, though Celtic scored two tries of genuine class - with former Ram Richard Tillotson dictating play at half-back and Nathan Lawrence really looking the part at full-back.

Playing for Sharks A was Richard Piper - captain of Cleckheaton RU, who'll play in National League One next year. He did take man of the match, but he was just one of quote a few stand-outs.

In the second game, Shaw Cross had to come from behind in the final minutes to beat Thornhill, who amazingly took the lead just minutes after former Rams Academy player Ben Kendall was sent off for punching. I actually thought Kendall had a great game up until that point!

Danny Flowers looked good at stand-off for the Sharks, Derrell Olpherts had a great game at full-back and was named man of the match, Will Poching (son of Willie) looked useful at hooker and I thought young second rower Ryan Chalkley looked really promising. Same kind of build as Dane Manning and could be one for the future.

Rob Kelly and Danny Ratcliffe were out there for Thornhill, with Ratcliffe putting in a real all-action display and scoring two tries.

I'm sure I've missed a few players out - and all 68 men on duty deserve credit for their performances in tough conditions. The match officials did a fine job too.

Andy Kelly was in attendance with his family to watch his son play, and he made a point of coming up to say hello to a few old Rams colleagues.

Well done to HWARL for organising a great night, and well done to club staff for staging it so smoothly.

It was the perfect way to showcase our club and stadium to the local Rugby League community after our recent improvements. Overheard a few commenting on how they'd not been down for a while and were impressed by how things have progressed, on and off the field.

I'm not sure what the plans are for next year, but I hope it can become a tradition in that Thursday night slot ahead of Challenge Cup weekend. A great way to head into Wembley!

If you couldn't make it this year then I strongly urge you to come down in 2015. With careful nurturing and the support of local people, this already successful event could develop into something very special.

Brilliant.  well done to all....

#4 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

I've spoken to a lot of people who were there on the night,some ex rams fans & they couldn't believe how nice the ground looked,even some of the players were saying how good the playing surface was,it's all good publicity for the rams,well done to mark Sawyer & the many volunteers who've worked really hard to make all this happen,plus a special mention to Paul Moore the grounsman who's done a immaculate John on the pitch!!

#5 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Everyone who have worked so hard to get the ground improvements done and the pitch looking great, well done to you all.One final I would love to see played at the ground again hopefully is the Yorkshire Cup Pennine Final over Christmas period, big crowd would be guaranteed, would make a change from Post Office Road and Belle Vue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users