NRL journalism

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 steavis

steavis
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hi everyone, last month's column was my response to Martyn's piece which in turn was .... you know the story. Here it is: http://stevemascord....at-august-2014/

#2 C H Calthrop

C H Calthrop
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Perhaps the column was not about the influence player behaviour has on RL's image but rather how readily  RL's image can be portrayed as the worst of all by  media just waiting for the next opportunity to do so..

How many people contacted you to say that the conduct of an individual in his own time is not a worthy reason to denigrate his profession nor a result of his profession? And that the real story here is not look at RL, what a bunch of morons but an examination of much wider social influences in Australia. Surely your second article is in reply to just that contact.

As a writer what you know rather than believe is worth more toward content of an article surely. At least you have to show the inquiry and care  to actually find out more and produce an article that simply does not reinforce the prejudices the detractors have toward RL. 

You talk of a fatal flaw and yet Soccer and AFL are represented in OZ from communities with no less humble origins than RL and by people with no more or less outlook on life yet no fatal flaw for them or assumption  that their players can only earn money from sport.

Surely the way forward for RL is simply to follow what happens in other sports in that the accusation is not the evidence and that future inevitable problems are reported on reasonably.

I would suggest there is a public appetite for articles that show RL in the worst light.

#3 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

'But I believe rugby league is a sport of noble origins that has a fatal flaw.'

I cannot see how he can claim this after his first column clearly questioned the noble origins of the game;

'The romantic, historical view of rugby league is that it represented a social upheaval at the end of the industrial revolution; it empowered working-class people whose talents were being exploited for the profit of the elite running rugby union.

But I am beginning to think that is romantic nonsense. I am beginning to think it was just a grab for cash by people who had no other means to make some, and that is all it means to those people more than a century later.'

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz3AJ2s0DYA

Edited by Trojan horse, 13 August 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#4 steavis

steavis
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:07 AM

1. Any media bias you perceive will not change just because you perceive it. Rugby league has to give media outlets no amunition for this sort of reporting.

2. I said I was "starting to believe" that the romantic view of the game's birth may not be accurate - not that I had been convinced of such.

#5 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

I had found myself increasingly being disappointed by Steve's articles in RLW due to the unusually negative tone which wasn't in keeping with the rest of the magazine or indeed my perceptions of the game down under. The recent article in question when viewed in this context was not so much dealing with a single issue but actually following a fairly negative reporting trend. I found the article to be hyperbolic and overly dramatic and not a great read all round to be honest. I have no problem with a bit of balance but the whole series for me is light in the positive side in the same way as the perhaps the Guardian or Evening Post's coverage. I love Rugby League and even if there were things that needed saying I wouldn't go out and damage and denigrate it to the extent Steve and quite a few other journalists do. That's my opinion anyway!

#6 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Could a problem here be that, not living in Australia, we don't get the whole picture of what's going on there?

#7 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

RL in Australia is no different to any top professional sport in this world but somehow the journos over there try to make it out as something different, an anomaly. Funny, going by Steve's or any other NRL journo's standards, the AFL should have as much a problem, but somehow their image is not as tarnished. Why? It shouldn't be about how the AFL has a relationship with journos (just about half of Australia's journos are ambassadors of AFL clubs in what appears has been a long term plan of the AFL to influence the media). All top sports should receive the same treatment but they don't. Journos have somehow brainwashed themselves into believing the NRL is in crisis in player behaviour but when you see the statistics, it ain't. It is a false image produced by a media who for one lot thinks it sells papers, and the second lot who have a lot to gain in tarnishing the sport's image.

Time for RLW to have a new Australian representative? PLEASE

#8 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

'The romantic, historical view of rugby league is that it represented a social upheaval at the end of the industrial revolution; it empowered working-class people whose talents were being exploited for the profit of the elite running rugby union.

But I am beginning to think that is romantic nonsense. I am beginning to think it was just a grab for cash by people who had no other means to make some, and that is all it means to those people more than a century later.'

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...#ixzz3AJ2s0DYA'

This has to be one of the most stupidest paragraphs one could ever read. Show me 1 professional sport today where money is not the over riding motive of the majority of its participants? RL players have/had every right to share the spoils of a sport which derived income from paying spectators. And how condescending to describe people as grabbing cash by people who had no other means to make some.  Sounds like something Peter Fitzsimmons or Spiro Savros would say. How dare people make a decent living for themselves when they should just accept their station in life. Baloney and another reason Mascord has lost touch with reality. This is the same guy who professes a love of rock/heavy metal. Doubt he'd have the balls going around trashing the rock industry which has & continues to include drugs, rape, anti social behaviour, etc. The likes of Mascord wouldn't last 5 minutes if they treated rock stars the way they treat NRL players. They dare not question the rock industry & manufacture (not hard to do) an image designed to turn the public off rock star adulation. The likes of Mascord fawn over rock musicians so they can get their 5 minutes of fame. Unfortunately RL players don't give them that hit.

#9 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

I can't speak for Steve’s other work in general – I only really catch Bondi Beat every month with any regularity – but to say it’s one of the more negative parts of RLW is a bit off from my POV. Even if it is – and I’m sure someone at LPL HQ will correct me if I’m wrong – but the mag isn’t supposed to be a blind cheerleader of the sport. It reflects the issues facing the game positive or negative and I think Bondi Beat does that pretty well. Sure it has some criticism of the game down under, but then so do all the other similar columns looking at the game in New Zealand/France/Wales etc from time to time. Personally I think it’s a more balanced column than some of the posts you can find on here that think the sun shines out of the backside of the NRL (I have no truck with the NRL, I think it’s great but I find some of the arguments that it’s sooooooo much better than Super League a bit tiresome).

I think the column that Steve posted above was pretty interesting actually, and – if I may say – a lot more considered than the original that provoked Martyn’s response on here and in League Express (which itself had a lot of good points too). Unlike some RL journos – mainly on twitter – I never think Steve criticises for the sake of criticism or just because he fancies a moan. Usually it’s pretty accurately backed up, so I find him being lumped in with the usual suspects a bit odd. Plus it’s not like a single poster on here can say that they have never made a single post criticising any aspect of the sport.

Not sure the mag needs a new Aus correspondent (if they do, I’d suggest looking for one based in the UK – seem to be a lot of experts on the goings on down under over here), if anything I think it needs a bit more Aus coverage. For a mag called Rugby League World, it does cover the international scene very well, but just two pages a month for the biggest league in the sport has never seemed right.

As an aside, bit disappointed we didn’t get the full story of Steve’s ‘Open Rugby’ penpal. Maybe issue 500…?

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#10 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

People Need to get out of cloud cuckooland and see the reality of things. Lets all stick the boot in to Steve Mascord because we dont agree with him and know so much more about things than him. The fact that he lives in Australia, when the vast majority dont on here is ignored. Steve reports about the game at various Levels and has friends at all Levels of the game, who talk to him openly about things, is ignored by the know alls on here. He also has many friends outside the game who no doubt raise Points when the game gets in the News. We are in 2014 and the days of loutish behaviour and the games players doing stupid stuff are over.

Maybe People dont understand the Situation in Australia or read/watch whats going on. But the game has regularly been dragged through the gutter by the press over the Actions of Players like Carney, Tandy, Dugan, Ferguson, Bird as well as former Players like Johhny Elias and Connections to various gangs in and around the Sydney area for example et al with the various Antics. Add to the stories of all in brawls at Amateur and youth games.Whether you like it or not the press have every right to Report and comment such things, as this goes beyond the game but in main steam News that gets put out to millions across Australasia and beyond who dont follow the game. AFL itself also doesnt have that great an Image and is rightly portait as such in the media. Steve though is not an AFL journo and writes about HIS concerns and how the game is seen by People within the game and outside it. We could just ignore it like it has done for so Long. But the fact is People are choosing not to get Children involved in the game because of the Actions of the idiots.

The game does have Journalists who for me, are a disgrace and so two faced and for me care Little about the game such as Rebecca Wilson (Twice caught drink driving for example) and Phil Rothfield. Steve does not come even close to them. Steve is about the only RL Journo that travels to such places as Vanuatu, USA, Phillipines to not just do match reports but also Report about the games charactors going in to Schools, orphonages. I know many People within the NRL and below it that will talk to Steve and not others. Steves Article/Blog is designed to get People discussing things, not reporting on the Games Events which he also does. He has an opinion on various things some we agree with some not. But is that not the Point of a blog or Article? As somebody who lives in Australia and works within the game and outside it surely he has better understanding of things that some fan in the UK that has no or Little understanding of whats Happening in the game and how ist perceived down under.

The comparison with Rock Music and ist Background is ridiculous, but what do you expect on here. Rock Music is not looking to develop itself to Families and Youngsters nor is it claiming to be something for the Family. Maybe People Need to look a bit further than their own opinions to see what Steve meant and why the games Image in Australia Needs to Change and maybe why the NRL are of a similar opinion going by recent events

#11 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Steve Mascord is being criticised heavily for saying things he did not say, which suggests people can find little fault in what he actually wrote.

Rugby league players face a prejudice in the media that players of some other sports do not face.  This can lead to an unfairly negative portrayal of rugby league.  Therefore, rugby league has to work extra hard on its image.  It seems extremely fair to me and in no way insults the players of the sports.  He has written two columns and I suspect most of the criticism is from people who have not read them.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#12 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

I agree with much of what Steve is saying and I'm comfortable with self criticism within the game.

And I'm prepared to put aside thoughts such as, " With friends like this, who needs  ------ " 

However where I have difficulty is with the outburst;

" But I am beginning to think that is romantic nonsense. I am beginning to think it was just a grab for cash by people who had no other means to make some. "

That is just too far below the belt for me.

To say that from the comfort of a 21st century armchair suggests no respect for the dignity of those men from the Victorian era and the conditions they had to endure.

I consider myself a resilient person by todays' standards but I doubt I'd last 5 minutes in the conditions down the mines in those days.

The extra pennies (literally ) they would have earned to compensate for lose of earnings would have made little difference to their lives.

In no way could it be described as a 'grab for cash.'

Steve, by all means lay into the people tarnishing the game today. But please lets have some respect for those who's hard work laid the foundation for the the lifestyles we enjoy today.

Edited by Trojan horse, 14 August 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#13 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

The 1895 split wasn't really a 'grab for cash' though?

Northern Union rules re broken time were much stricter and enforced more than in the the pre-1895 'rugby football' era

I've read that in the first season of Northern Union, the Leeds club paid out much less in broken time payments than it did in each of the previous 2 years, which would again dismiss the 'dash for cash' argument. The Leeds example is from one of Tony Collins' books

#14 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

I am under the Impression in Australia it was a style "grab for cash". The National Museum of Australia says

On 8 August 1907 a group of leading rugby union players and supporters met at Bateman's Hotel, George Street, Sydney, to discuss the creation of the New South Wales Rugby Football League.

A key aspect of the new code was that players would be paid for playing the game. Adopting the playing rules of the rebel Northern Union of England, the new competition began in earnest in Australia on Easter Monday, 20 April 1908.

http://www.nma.gov.a...the_game_Begins

Most of the Wallabies at that time, jumped ship and joined the new Rugby League Teams. Its reported that the Wallabies lost to the Kangeroos in a 4 game series-many of whom less than a year earlier had been themselves Wallabies. They jumped because no doubt they got Money or more Money playing the new code, rather than staying in Union. I am only guessing, but I think Steve is writing more about things from an Australian Point of view and thats his main audience, rather than writing about Events in the UK.

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

I am under the Impression in Australia it was a style "grab for cash". The National Museum of Australia says

Most of the Wallabies at that time, jumped ship and joined the new Rugby League Teams. Its reported that the Wallabies lost to the Kangeroos in a 4 game series-many of whom less than a year earlier had been themselves Wallabies. They jumped because no doubt they got Money or more Money playing the new code, rather than staying in Union. I am only guessing, but I think Steve is writing more about things from an Australian Point of view and thats his main audience, rather than writing about Events in the UK.

The Australian RU agreed to play those matches against the All Golds, and without the cash that raised, the All Golds players would have made little or no money from that historic first tour. Bit of a tactical error from the RU people, then?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

The romantic, historical view of rugby league is that it represented a social upheaval at the end of the industrial revolution; it empowered working-class people whose talents were being exploited for the profit of the elite running rugby union.

Without having knowledge of the social history of rugby & society in Australia at the time - the above quote IMO represents the UK. But does it also mirror Australia....??
Did the union authorities in Oz want to keep control of the game within a few, public school based administrators?

#17 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

The romantic, historical view of rugby league is that it represented a social upheaval at the end of the industrial revolution; it empowered working-class people whose talents were being exploited for the profit of the elite running rugby union.

Without having knowledge of the social history of rugby & society in Australia at the time - the above quote IMO represents the UK. But does it also mirror Australia....??
Did the union authorities in Oz want to keep control of the game within a few, public school based administrators?

You should read Sean Fagan's excellent book on the divide of rugby in Australasia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users