Rebuilding time

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 runaround 55

runaround 55
  • Facebook
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

I think the time has come for the custodians of the club to appoint a local coach and to lay down some concrete foundations for the future, the club has had so many ups and downs over the last 5 years. At this moment in time the very loyal supporters are voting with there feet, given the attendance last sunday and rightly so. we are fast becoming a laughing stock in the rugby circles. My personal Ideal choice would be Cresta. He as always had unfinished business down CP, Given the funds and support of the board I believe that he will soon have CP support back up to around the 1500 mark, We have got to stop going for the quick fix, Barrow Raiders has huge potential but we need to stop using sticking plasters to fix the club. I fear if we continue in this vain we will lose it,s appeal to it,s biggest asset It,s Support. The time has come to harness the club for the future. and give it a future. Keep The Faith. Pip Larkin.

#2 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

[quote name="runaround 55" post="2976753" timestamp="1407959410"]I think the time has come for the custodians of the club to appoint a local coach and to lay down some concrete foundations for the future, the club has had so many ups and downs over the last 5 years. At this moment in time the very loyal supporters are voting with there feet, given the attendance last sunday and rightly so. we are fast becoming a laughing stock in the rugby circles. My personal Ideal choice would be Cresta. He as always had unfinished business down CP, Given the funds and support of the board I believe that he will soon have CP support back up to around the 1500 mark, We have got to stop going for the quick fix, Barrow Raiders has huge potential but we need to stop using sticking plasters to fix the club. I fear if we continue in this vain we will lose it,s appeal to it,s biggest asset It,s Support. The time has come to harness the club for the future. and give it a future. Keep The Faith. Pip Larkin.[/quote
Absolutely spot on there Pip.

Posted Image

#3 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Excellent post.

#4 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:06 AM

I think the time has come for the custodians of the club to appoint a local coach and to lay down some concrete foundations for the future, the club has had so many ups and downs over the last 5 years. At this moment in time the very loyal supporters are voting with there feet, given the attendance last sunday and rightly so. we are fast becoming a laughing stock in the rugby circles. My personal Ideal choice would be Cresta. He as always had unfinished business down CP, Given the funds and support of the board I believe that he will soon have CP support back up to around the 1500 mark, We have got to stop going for the quick fix, Barrow Raiders has huge potential but we need to stop using sticking plasters to fix the club. I fear if we continue in this vain we will lose it,s appeal to it,s biggest asset It,s Support. The time has come to harness the club for the future. and give it a future. Keep The Faith. Pip Larkin.

maybe unfinished business when he walked away from craven park but the funds were there for him!

the only way we will get 1500 through the gate is with success, and that succes probably has to be in the championship not the championship 1.

by appointing a local coach we would probably be looking at signing more local lads. how many local lads will want to travel long trips like london and oxford on a sunday for a £100 match fee. They could probably play local on a saturday and do the overtime on a sunday, earn more than they would get playing for Barrow and be home alot earlier!

#5 drewjak

drewjak
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

maybe unfinished business when he walked away from craven park but the funds were there for him!

the only way we will get 1500 through the gate is with success, and that succes probably has to be in the championship not the championship 1.

by appointing a local coach we would probably be looking at signing more local lads. how many local lads will want to travel long trips like london and oxford on a sunday for a £100 match fee. They could probably play local on a saturday and do the overtime on a sunday, earn more than they would get playing for Barrow and be home alot earlier!

This maybe very true ......but for many lads it will be about pride of wearing the Barrow jersey and playing a game which they love im sure plenty of them would rather be playing a game they love and earning money for it  than being stuck in work......and these are the lads the club needs ,

#6 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

They could probably play local on a saturday and do the overtime on a sunday, earn more than they would get playing for Barrow and be home alot earlier!

This would be the same no matter what league were in.

#7 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

This would be the same no matter what league were in.

What? that they would get more working a sunday on overtime than they would get playing for Barrow, regardless of Barrow being in championship or champ 1, is that what you're trying to say?

if so, are you on the board and incharge of budgets and know that the wages are the same regardless of which league barrow are in?

#8 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

Gus, I think what FB is trying to say is that the only thing that changes is the salary cap which has no effect on our budgets. The budget for players is set by the board and bases on affordability and the rules set by the RFL. You can not spend more that a certain percentage on your playing budget of the total income of the Club. It is not as easy as saying "we can spend up to the salary cap".
We must spend the maximum we can budget for next season so I don't see the salary changing that much if we keep the win money high and loss money to a minimum. The amount on wages is judged on the predicted win loss numbers and managed correctly can be accurate. When I was involved my budget spending was within £400 of the pre season predictions. The figures are checked every 6 months by the RFL where the club must submit its accounts and salary cap figures to date.
As for the guys playing on a Sunday and losing money I don't believe they play the game just for financial gain but because they love the sport and love the Club. If they are just there for the money I'm not sure I would want them there!

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#9 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

I agree with you soss up to the point of players being at the club for the love of the sport and club!
You have dealt with players when at the club, so you know how they are when negotiating contracts, if they were there for the "love" no negotiations would not be nessasary. Players agents would not be needed.
The players put there bodies on the line every time they turn out for the club, and deserve every penny they get I do not dispute that.
Back in the 60 - 70s there was a great deal of pride if you were asked down your club to have trials, not now players are signed before pulling a pair of shorts on. To sign a proven player is all about money and perks.
As said by an international rugby player when asked how proud he felt when putting his club shirt on, #### pride my kids can't eat a ####### shirt.
SL to Ch1 is a business and the players are the employee's, like all employee's they go to where they get most reward for there skills ( wages and perks) there is nothing at all wrong with that it's the way the word go's round.
Sorry Mike but if you think players these days are there for the "love of the club" you will be very disapointed IMO there may be some players still around that consider putting a shirt on for there club an honor but they are a very rare breed.

#10 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:39 AM

What? that they would get more working a sunday on overtime than they would get playing for Barrow, regardless of Barrow being in championship or champ 1, is that what you're trying to say?
if so, are you on the board and incharge of budgets and know that the wages are the same regardless of which league barrow are in?

WoW you have a bee in your bonnet don't you? You must be on the bod to know what they are getting then I take it?

How many away days are there that a player could not have worked less hours and be back home before the bus? Plus training 3/4 times a week? A players wage is not solely based on that one day is it?

Edited by Flaming balls, 15 August 2014 - 06:40 AM.

#11 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

Sorry I should have been clear in my statement. Yes money is always an important factor, however it's how the wage is structured and how the club treat players, including the fans. In the many negotiations I had I would never accept giving a player more money than the club could afford because they could earn more at work! It was never brought up.
The pride factor is still there but as you say it has diminished over the years due to the amount of money being thrown around by some clubs, we can not afford to be complacent and must offer the best deals for everyone but if a player/coach declines the best offer we can make we should not revise it and look for an alternative.
I still believe these players play because they love the game and not just for the money.
You must remember we do not employ full time players, these are men with alternate careers and lives. I would fully agree with you if we were a super league team but unfortunately we are now effectively a full semi pro third division club.

Edited by soss, 15 August 2014 - 06:49 AM.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#12 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

I agree with this, in part, but, you're not taking into consideration 1 very important factor! What if Cresta doesn't want the job? He's turned it down on the last 3 occasions. So if not Cresta, Who then?

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#13 baldy2

baldy2
  • Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

[quote name="Campeze" post="2977550" timestamp="1408094055"]

I agree with this, in part, but, you're not taking into consideration 1 very important factor! What if Cresta doesn't want the job? He's turned it down on the last 3 occasions. So if not Cresta, Who then?[/quote gary broadbent for me

#14 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

I agree with this, in part, but, you're not taking into consideration 1 very important factor! What if Cresta doesn't want the job? He's turned it down on the last 3 occasions. So if not Cresta, Who then?

Cresta has shown an interest and we should be camping on his door step rather than paying and egotistical, overpaid full time coach that has a record of 17 losses and two wins. Sorry but the board need to get on the bus and secure a new coach. Bobby lost all my respect at Leigh when all he did was play to the crowd... It was embarrassing to watch.

#15 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

According to the Evening Mail Cresta is that keen to coach Barrow that he'll think it over for a couple of weeks before even deciding whether to apply for the job or not!

That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence and optimism for the future!

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#16 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

According to the Evening Mail Cresta is that keen to coach Barrow that he'll think it over for a couple of weeks before even deciding whether to apply for the job or not!

That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence and optimism for the future!

exactly! Broady has said to me, on several occasions, he has no interest in the job. Hes happy coaching his lad!

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#17 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

The season doesnt finish till the end of August whats the rush............ We normally do our business in December. I am sure once Cresta gets back from his holiday and there is an offer for him, he would simply say Yes or No to the offer simples. Surely its in the clubs intrest to wait at least 2 weeks, i can't see loads of applications going in and the BOD deciding in the next 2 weeks. Maybe they will just give BG what he wants????????
Rip the bludgers heads off!

#18 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

We shouldn't be chasing any coach in my opinion. Every coach knows The position Barrow are in and if they're interested they will come forward.

If I see a job I want I go to them, they don't come to me and say we have a job you might want to apply for.....

#19 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

This may not happen to you FB but it does happen, its happened to me........#HeadHunted ;)
Rip the bludgers heads off!

#20 Flying whinger

Flying whinger
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

This may not happen to you FB but it does happen, its happened to me........#HeadHunted ;)

Balloon seller doesn't count!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users