Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Amnrl officially dead

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Finally keeled over http://stevemascord....-amnrl-to-fold/

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Good. Get the USARL recognised, given RLIF membership and get the States into the World Cup pronto. They made he quarters last time. The game cannot ignore a country as big as the States which has an affinity for the type of game we play, namely, running with the ball and tackling.

#3 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Good !!

#4 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Great news for the sport.

#5 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Lets hope the game doesn't lose all the people involved in the AMNRL. Hopefully all players and volunteers will find a way into the USARL competition.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#6 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

How many teams are currently playing in the States and how does this compare with Canada?

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Why is this good, apart from the fact they can now be recognised?

Were the AMNRL bad for the game, are the USARL better? How?

#8 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

How many teams are currently playing in the States and how does this compare with Canada?

11 in the USARL, split between two conferences
9 in the CRL, again split between two conferences

You can add in the occasional development club outside of the US heartlands as well.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

11 in the USARL, split between two conferences
9 in the CRL, again split between two conferences

You can add in the occasional development club outside of the US heartlands as well.

There are 5 or 6 AMNRL clubs, and you'd hope that they would join the USARL from next season and not just fold.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

I will go out on a limb here and give you my version but I m very much open to correction from persons more in the know.

The AMNRL will always b known as the founding organisation of American RL. An Australian named David Niue was the guiding force. I think he worked at some kind of boys school and his tem from there the Glen Mills team ( I think it was called that) was one f the early powerhouse teams. He somehow managed to get another five or six teams playing and the AMNRL. This organisation and Niue ill always be known as the founders of US Rugby League.

The league was success and other teams joined but, from what I can gather, the AMNRL was run as a personal fiefdom by Mr Niue and there was no board or elected governing body with representation from the member clubs. Niue made all decisions on a take it or leave it, I'm in charge sort of way.

The new clubs entering or looking to enter the AMNRL didn't much care for this style of governance and broke away to form the USARL. This league became bigger with more clubs in particular the vey progressive Jacksonville Axmen and soon several AMNRL teams defected to join it. I think efforts were made to unite the two leagues but there were always roadblocks which prevented that.

The AMNRL continued to shrink and the USARL continued to grow with, this season I think, all remaining AMNRL teams either folding or moving to the USARL.

The AMNRL, by virtue of having been first on the scene had RLIF recognition as the governing body of American RL but were not members of the RLIF.

Now this moribund organisation has finally expired , it leaves the field open to the USARL to become the official governing body of American RL and apply for RLIF membership to enable the USA to enter he next world cup. This was a condition laid down by the Aussies who are organising the next tournament.

I think the USARL sent an unofficial rep side to play Jamaica this season, so they are obviously interested in participating in international games.

As I say, I may be wrong with a lot of that so I an very much open to correction.

#11 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

The AMNRL could have been recognised, but they didn't even organise a league this year (and as far as I'm aware, still haven't made an announcement about it. 7 clubs left in 2011 to form the USARL and earlier this year another club left. There are another 4-5 clubs that wanted to defect this year but by the time it was clear the AMNRL weren't running a league this year, the USARL was just about to start.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#12 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

I think the USARL sent an unofficial rep side to play Jamaica this season, so they are obviously interested in participating in international games.

I believe that this was at roughly the same time as the AMNRL put out a team in Hawaii against a NSW select team and mostly selected Hawaiian union players as opposed to RL players.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#13 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

I will go out on a limb here and give you my version but I m very much open to correction from persons more in the know.

The AMNRL will always b known as the founding organisation of American RL. An Australian named David Niue was the guiding force. I think he worked at some kind of boys school and his tem from there the Glen Mills team ( I think it was called that) was one f the early powerhouse teams. He somehow managed to get another five or six teams playing and the AMNRL. This organisation and Niue ill always be known as the founders of US Rugby League.

The league was success and other teams joined but, from what I can gather, the AMNRL was run as a personal fiefdom by Mr Niue and there was no board or elected governing body with representation from the member clubs. Niue made all decisions on a take it or leave it, I'm in charge sort of way.

The new clubs entering or looking to enter the AMNRL didn't much care for this style of governance and broke away to form the USARL. This league became bigger with more clubs in particular the vey progressive Jacksonville Axmen and soon several AMNRL teams defected to join it. I think efforts were made to unite the two leagues but there were always roadblocks which prevented that.

The AMNRL continued to shrink and the USARL continued to grow with, this season I think, all remaining AMNRL teams either folding or moving to the USARL.

The AMNRL, by virtue of having been first on the scene had RLIF recognition as the governing body of American RL but were not members of the RLIF.

Now this moribund organisation has finally expired , it leaves the field open to the USARL to become the official governing body of American RL and apply for RLIF membership to enable the USA to enter he next world cup. This was a condition laid down by the Aussies who are organising the next tournament.

As I say, I may be wrong with a lot of that so I an very much open to correction.

Broadly speaking that's correct.

The AMNRL's parting shot is to claim that they were founding fathers of RL in the USA, but this isn't strictly true. Ignoring the bits and bobs in the 1950s and 70s the first fully fledged organisation was Super League America, led by the aforementioned David Niu. After their involvement in the 2000 Emerging Nations event a guy called Steve Gormley got involved, changed the name to USRL, and they received a £100,000 grant from the RFL. Gormley wanted to use British and Australian RL teams to promote the sport in the USA, Niu disagreed and broke away to form the AMNRL. All the clubs went with him, leaving Gormley with the name but no clubs. So there are long term signs of an ego driven man doing what he wanted, when he wanted.

Along the way, David Niu has alienated huge numbers of people - domestic players who paid their own way for internationals only to be replaced by antipodeans for the RLWC, Tomahawks 'selectors' picking only from their own clubs, even selling the AMNRL name and the club names and logos to a private company. There are a handful of acolytes who defended Niu to the bitter end, but with every passing season more and more people have walked away - some from the AMNRL, others from Rugby League completely.

The RLIF gave both organisations an opportunity to apply for recognition as the NGB. It should come as no surprise to anyone who has followed RL in the US to note that Niu and chums have strung this out as long as possible, only to make this announcement on the very deadline for that process.

Maybe now the game will be able to unite behind an elected, accountable leadership model and take RL forward.

Edited by nadera78, 14 August 2014 - 02:35 PM.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thanks guys

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

David Niu deserves recognition for getting the game off the ground in the USA. The way he went about running what he founded may have, in the end, been counterproductive and divisive, but he got a domestic competition started and we should never forget that.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Right. Get them in the world cup now - no qualification - plenty of time to plan and promote

#17 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Others have covered the history pretty well. I'll add that for the last couple of years, the AMNRL has been a skeleton competition with only two strong clubs (New York Knights and Connecticut Wildcats, both of which were operated by personal friends of David Niu), and a couple of other teams that fluctuated in strength and would at times struggle to fulfill their fixtures. The whole thing was window dressing TBH because all the structure is with the USARL, it seemed like the AMNRL was continuing out of spite more than anything else. Niu and most of his acolytes actually left the sport last year before the World Cup, leaving an Australian named Steve Johnson in charge of the national team (you might remember him from the controversy around USA's squad selection for the World Cup). And since then the AMNRL has pretty much had no presence at all, in fact the guy who was named as the new leader of the AMNRL (Curtis Cunz) is actually playing for a USARL team this year. Now with the RLIF demanding proper membership it looks like they have finally admitted that they are incapable of running the sport in the USA, which means control of the national team will be handed over to the USARL and things can move forward.

#18 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

Latest up date in today's SMH:

Parramatta Eels star Joseph Paulo's role as US Tomahawks captain under threat as AMNRL bows out

The Rugby League International Federation has been asked to help ensure Parramatta star Joseph Paulo's position as USA Tomahawks captain does not come under threat and other NRL-based players are not excluded after the American National Rugby League decided to cede control of the game to the rival USA Rugby League.

The decision was made in a bid to end the civil war over the game in the US, which had resulted in the Tomahawks being the only team to make the quarter-finals at last year's World Cup not guaranteed entry to the 2017 tournament in Australia and New Zealand due to the split between the rival bodies.

The performance of the Tomahawks inspired The Wiggles to record the internet hit USA Tomahawks Shock The World, which called for "President Obama ... to carve the face of Joseph Paulo on Mt Rushmore".

1408015267824.jpg-300x0.jpg

Stars in stripes: Joseph Paulo in action for the US during the Rugby League World Cup last year. Photo: Getty Images

But in a letter to RLIF chairman Nigel Wood, AMNRL chairman Robert Balachandran said his organisation had missed out on the opportunity to capitalise on the success of the Paulo-led Tomahawks at the World Cup as sponsors would not commit without a guarantee the team would feature on television coverage of the tournament.

The AMNRL has been losing ground domestically since several clubs broke away in 2011 to form the rebel USARL competition and Balachandran said his organisation – founded 18 years ago by former St George halfback David Niu – felt the move was the only way for the game to grow domestically and on the international stage.

Balachandran said he hoped the USARL would continue the development work of the AMNRL, which included a Test in Hawaii last month against Samoa and other matches featuring NSW Country and Hawaii.

He also asked for the RLIF to ensure Paulo remained as captain of the Tomahawks, and players such as Eels teammate Bureta Faraimo, Wests Tigers hooker Joel Luani, Newcastle forward Clint Newton and Wigan second-rower Eddy Pettybourne are considered for selection following criticism by USARL officials of the selection of heritage players in the World Cup squad.

The AMNRL also wants former Warriors, Panthers and Raiders coach Matthew Elliott to retain his position as head coach.

Other requests were for the annual Test against Samoa in Hawaii to continue, with the match tentatively set down for June 20 next year, and the remaining six AMNRL clubs to be accepted into the USARL competition.

"We started the game of rugby league in the USA as we loved the game and its cultural values and hoped other Americans would embrace it and it would grow to become a major sport," Balachandran said. "We are proud of all we have achieved from the day David Niu grabbed some mates and started to pass a ball around to now being a top-10 ranked nation.

"We don’t want to see the game held back as it is now because of the differences of the two groups. We want to see the game grow domestically and for the USA Tomahawks to remain a force on the world stage. We don't want to see petty jealousy impact on what we have achieved."

Balachandran said he hoped the pioneering work of Niu would one day be officially recognised by the RLIF.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz3ARMnH519

#19 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,772 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

That sounds pretty desperate!
No offence to him, but that's not the RLIF's job! There were fundamentally wrong problems with the selection policy in USA last WC, so to request the status quo is laughable!
If the new selectors feel he should be captain, that is their choice. Not the RLIF's!

Also, I hope they change tier nickname now from that awful Tomahawks nickname!
Posted Image

#20 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

Latest up date in today's SMH:

Parramatta Eels star Joseph Paulo's role as US Tomahawks captain under threat as AMNRL bows out

The Rugby League International Federation has been asked to help ensure Parramatta star Joseph Paulo's position as USA Tomahawks captain does not come under threat and other NRL-based players are not excluded after the American National Rugby League decided to cede control of the game to the rival USA Rugby League.

The decision was made in a bid to end the civil war over the game in the US, which had resulted in the Tomahawks being the only team to make the quarter-finals at last year's World Cup not guaranteed entry to the 2017 tournament in Australia and New Zealand due to the split between the rival bodies.

The performance of the Tomahawks inspired The Wiggles to record the internet hit USA Tomahawks Shock The World, which called for "President Obama ... to carve the face of Joseph Paulo on Mt Rushmore".

1408015267824.jpg-300x0.jpg

Stars in stripes: Joseph Paulo in action for the US during the Rugby League World Cup last year. Photo: Getty Images

But in a letter to RLIF chairman Nigel Wood, AMNRL chairman Robert Balachandran said his organisation had missed out on the opportunity to capitalise on the success of the Paulo-led Tomahawks at the World Cup as sponsors would not commit without a guarantee the team would feature on television coverage of the tournament.

The AMNRL has been losing ground domestically since several clubs broke away in 2011 to form the rebel USARL competition and Balachandran said his organisation – founded 18 years ago by former St George halfback David Niu – felt the move was the only way for the game to grow domestically and on the international stage.

Balachandran said he hoped the USARL would continue the development work of the AMNRL, which included a Test in Hawaii last month against Samoa and other matches featuring NSW Country and Hawaii.

He also asked for the RLIF to ensure Paulo remained as captain of the Tomahawks, and players such as Eels teammate Bureta Faraimo, Wests Tigers hooker Joel Luani, Newcastle forward Clint Newton and Wigan second-rower Eddy Pettybourne are considered for selection following criticism by USARL officials of the selection of heritage players in the World Cup squad.

The AMNRL also wants former Warriors, Panthers and Raiders coach Matthew Elliott to retain his position as head coach.

Other requests were for the annual Test against Samoa in Hawaii to continue, with the match tentatively set down for June 20 next year, and the remaining six AMNRL clubs to be accepted into the USARL competition.

"We started the game of rugby league in the USA as we loved the game and its cultural values and hoped other Americans would embrace it and it would grow to become a major sport," Balachandran said. "We are proud of all we have achieved from the day David Niu grabbed some mates and started to pass a ball around to now being a top-10 ranked nation.

"We don’t want to see the game held back as it is now because of the differences of the two groups. We want to see the game grow domestically and for the USA Tomahawks to remain a force on the world stage. We don't want to see petty jealousy impact on what we have achieved."

Balachandran said he hoped the pioneering work of Niu would one day be officially recognised by the RLIF.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz3ARMnH519

The USARL can choose who they want to be captain and team members .. ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users