TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Batleys RFL hearing today.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Batley used to kick off their games at 2pm but now they're in the thick of it they've changed it presumably so the teams around them don't know what they need to do at half time.

#42 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Yeh , if they know what's good for them they should kick off at three . And on the last day I wonder if all games will start at the same time ? RFL decree maybe ... After weeks of negotiating !

Edited by DavidM, 15 August 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#43 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

They should

#44 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Batley have announced they will appeal the points deduction. Surely the player was ineligible, so therefore the punishment is right. Possibly a little light, I would deduct 6 just for wasting everyone's time.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#45 Haven99

Haven99
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Bad move on there part they still have a chance to stay up but by appealing and losing there punishment will be larger!

#46 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

I'm surprised they're appealing . Their tweet seemed resigned to their fate . They made a silly basic error when the rules were there in black n white . Take it on the chin , could have been worse .

#47 Alineden

Alineden
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

I don't want to see a team relegated due to what must have been an oversight rather than an attempt to cheat but have Batley actually been punished or simply denied points obtained illegally. Surely points obtained by Batley (3) and Doncaster (1) should be void. Then there should be a penalty for breaking the rules.

If during a game an offside player gets on the end of a kick and scores a try he is denied the 4 points. He is then penalised for the offence. Batley have only been denied illegally gained points. They have not been penalised for breaking the rules.

Edited by Alineden, 15 August 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#48 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

The points actually gained in the matches doesn't seem to have been considered , but it does muddy the waters somewhat . The punishments for the same offence , in reality , aren't the same !

#49 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

I've just read the reaction on the Batley forum. Our old pal H4E is posting on there and he is obviously universally loved by all RL fans. One of the Batley fans even wants to get it on with him! Proper funny that he still ploughs on making the same point over and over and over again despite all of the hate flying his way.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#50 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

I've just read the reaction on the Batley forum. Our old pal H4E is posting on there and he is obviously universally loved by all RL fans. One of the Batley fans even wants to get it on with him! Proper funny that he still ploughs on making the same point over and over and over again despite all of the hate flying his way.

all forums he goes on he seems to get the same message. He sounds like the RFL rule book on the Batley forum.

#51 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

There is no precedent in rugby or football for a 'double hit' of points deducted plus the points they earned in the game or games.
The best example is salary cap - there may be a points deduction but thats it, no extra points for fielding players that took them over the salary cap.
If Fairbank hadn't scored a try in the game we wouldn't be having the debate around the size of points deduction - 3 points each would be fine

If, in the future, DR is to continue, then the RFL should be sole admininstrators of who can play for who. Many Championship clubs rely on hard-pressed personnel to run their club, and sometimes its inevitable that mistakes are made due to shortage of resources. If it was taken out of the clubs hands then everyone is on the same level playing field run by the RFL.

Part of the problem, as we've seen at Town, is sometimes the SL clubs waiting till the last minute to suit themselves. Then the Championship clubs picks up the scraps. Time for a huge change to DR or scrap it. If Batley go down by say 2 points its very, very unfortunate.

#52 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

It was clear enough for 12 of the 14 teams...

#53 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

He'll be busy emailing and phoning the RFL demanding a harsher punishment for Batley now!!!

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#54 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Had a funny dream lastnight that Batley won all there remaining matches and Haven lost all  theirs, the RFL get what they want, only one Cumbrian club in the middle league, the Yorkshire clubs all stick together and the M is on, I then woke up in a sweat and thought no that would never happen the RFL and the Yorkshire doys wouldnt do it, the Rams and Donny have to much to lose and the ref will do his job at the Eagles wont he ?

#55 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Their chairman has just said ' nobody at our club was aware of the rule ' ... Wow !

#56 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Where has he said that? Is it online?

#57 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Batley forum

#58 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Yeah he claims he didn't know the rules, yet he's still appealing. Pointless waste of time.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#59 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Their chairman has just said ' nobody at our club was aware of the rule ' ... Wow !

i would call that shooting yourself in the foot. Or hitting yourself when your already down

#60 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

i would call that shooting yourself in the foot. Or hitting yourself when your already down

If you read the statement closely Batley will be appealing the 3 points deduction not the

fact that they broke the rules.  

I think Town would be best thinking that Batley may get the points back,

and play out the season accordingly, with the money involved, could be

legal challenges etc etc.  No matter how unlikely it seems that they will

get a lesser punishment.  So make sure we are safe no matter what by

winning one of the last two games. RFL open themselves up for an appeal

on the severity of punishment if its not clear the punishment you get for

breaching DR rules.

Edited by topladtownie, 18 August 2014 - 04:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users