17/08/14 - London Broncos v Leeds Rhinos KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

18 prior SL visits to the capital delivered 77,196 spectators at an average of 4,289 a pop when Leeds came calling. Like the rest of this season and the few that have gone before, this weekends game delivered the lowest ever gate for their visit, shaving an eye-watering 46% off last years record low in the process. 

Unfortunately, we didn't get to play a cup finalist in August 2013, but in 2012, we met Warrington and dispatched a team that bared little resemblance to their CC Final side with ease. This time we have dispatched a Leeds side who will look somewhat different next weekend........and as tedious as it may be, nay.....as fairly unpleasant as it may be, 1,268 people giving the owner of a non-league football club 20 quid is not romantic. What it is, is a sad indictment of how far expectations have fallen in the capital with regards to SL.

By the way......the team that secured our first points today is not the team that will do battle next year in the Championship.......which is a good job really given the coach's comments about them not knowing any victory songs. Losing is a tough culture to break...acceptable failure is rife at the club.

#42 Southern Reiver

Southern Reiver
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

I don't think we were suddenly magic, nor we'll suddenly win every game, if any others this season. The difference in the teams in the first 40 minutes was probably rather apparent. Clean, quick plays and it was shall we say rather easy particularly with an almost full back line present for Leeds.

What seemed to change at half time was some sort of belief that Broncos could actually compete. The biggest difference in the second half was the way our forwards took the game to Leeds. It was the first time I have seen our pack actually start to look like they were dominating the opposition. That may say something about the quality of the Leeds pack available and Bailey and Aiton weren't able to do it on their own.

I thought Cook had an excellent game, Moore had probably his best game and Wallace showed he will be a real threat. In the backs Keyes showed real potential. There has been a belief to play for 80 minutes that hasn't been there for several years and we came back from 8-30 and somehow Leeds didn't really respond.

The Leeds kid in the scrum cap looked lively, just needs to learn how he attaches the strap under his chin. If you actually do it up it doesn't fall off every time your tackled.

Leeds to win next week. Leeds fans to park this as an aberration and London fans to live on this for the next year. Hey the years been ###### give us this one.

#43 Yosser

Yosser
  • Coach
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

I'm made up for the players and the coach.

I said months back they would win at least one, but I didn't think it would be against Leeds.

A Leeds with Hardaker, Briscoe, Watkins and Hall in the backline.

And come back from 8-30 down, surreal

Edited by Trojan horse, 17 August 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#44 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

Weakened opposition or not, a win is a win. Great for the young players at Broncos. They needed to experience a win.

#45 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Weakened opposition or not, a win is a win. Great for the young players at Broncos. They needed to experience a win.

Delighted with the win... People seem unable to seperate the criticism of the club from support for the team.

#46 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

Indeed.

There is a huge difference between thinking that poor decisions have been made and hoping that something fails. Yet some people refuse to differentiate.

#47 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

What a great win for the Broncos.

#48 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

The big question now is can the Broncos win anymore games this season?

#49 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

The big question now is can the Broncos win anymore games this season?

I will be at the Bradford game which I think we can win

#50 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

A few posts edited and several posts removed altogether to get rid of the personal backbiting and name-calling going on between a handful of forum members who seem to want to bring disputes started on other forums onto this one.

Just let it drop. All of you. This is a discussion about London Broncos v Leeds Rhinos. Nothing more, nothing less. Keep it at that. Keep personal squabbles off this forum.

If you believe someone is trolling, report the trolling posts and let the moderators deal with it. If someone just annoys you personally but isn't breaking our rules, just put them on ignore and do not disrupt an entire thread attempting to win pointless arguments with them.

What has happened on other forums is irrelevant on here. We have our own rules, and our own means of enforcing them if need be.

Thank you.

Now, back to the game!

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#51 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

I will be at the Bradford game which I think we can win

On current form I'd still back the Bulls for the win. Should be interesting though, relegation seems to have done wonders for us, so hopefully winning will become a habit for you guys too. I think a fair few Bulls fans are going down (myself included) for our Super League farewell, so it should be a top day out I think - a party atmosphere hopefully.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#52 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

London winning, watching the Cru' win at Keighley and seeing some of the family up in Eldwick (they do a very good lunch at Dick Hudsons) added up to an excellent weekend for you (un)humble correspondent here.

#53 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

As a critic of Joe Grima got to hand to him that his Broncos side beat a Leeds team containing several first grade players. and from being some way behind.

That said the first appearance of The London Phantom this season was probably more significant than others realise. It would not have altered trhe course of the season or the clubs eventual fate but in close game's at Barnet FC and In Manchester against Catalan and away at Wakefield. Keiran's Dixon's cutting edge could have been the difference. As always with the Broncos it's what might have been....

I could list the negatives here but for this thread I rejoice in the fact that London Broncos will not undergo a winless season (Halifax as we know did get nil points in 2003 but had two points deducted for a game Tony Anderson's side won away against......London Broncos

Can they win against Catalans and Salford away and Bradford at home, nothings impossible and with confidence returning after this win it looks more likely than it did at 2.59pm yesterday afternoon. 

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#54 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Pleased for the players and this years coaching staff . Missed it as at Cheltenham for Skolars great win.

#55 johnh1

johnh1
  • Coach
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Just watched the highlights. Well done London. Great win. We need a London presence in Rugby League and we have two teams doing just that. I hope they both go on to bigger and better things in the future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users