Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Major Coup

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hull FC are hoping to announce a new signing in the next 24 hours akin to Garreth Ellis!
A current NRL second rower (international) being chased by a few NRL clubs as well.
Anyone had a sniff?
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#2 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Rumours that it's Chris Heighington

#3 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Would make sense - he wouldn't count on overseas quota I suspect.

Edited by Roy Boy, 14 August 2014 - 06:03 PM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#4 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

If it is Heighington I'd hardly call it a "coup".

Another Aussie coming to the end of his career looking to boost his pension more like. If everybody is fit at Cronulla he doesn't get near the first team.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#5 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

How old is he, about 32?

#6 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

if true really poor signing

a has been that never was

#7 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:23 AM

It's Mark Minichiello from the Titans. It's on the Gold Coast Bulletin website. He's 32 but I think he'll be a good signing... a very good, professional attitude and still a good player

#8 7723

• Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

I'm not sure how good a signing he will be. He has had a good career in the NRL but he is getting on a bit now. Then again, Matty Bowen was getting on a bit and look how well he's playing.

#9 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

It's Mark Minichiello from the Titans. It's on the Gold Coast Bulletin website. He's 32 but I think he'll be a good signing... a very good, professional attitude and still a good player

Really?

What a coup.

Edit: So, it is Minichiello. Not a very good signing in the first place - he's distinctly average - but for FC to promote this as a major coup is just laughable. Their fans must be gutted.

Edited by MrPosh, 15 August 2014 - 08:33 AM.

People called Romans they go the house

#10 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Really?

What a coup.

Edit: So, it is Minichiello. Not a very good signing in the first place - he's distinctly average - but for FC to promote this as a major coup is just laughable. Their fans must be gutted.

Not really, I haven't got a clue whether he's any good or not.

But I am very pleased about the new contract for local lad Dean Hadley. He really is going to be good.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

A good player but not what I'd consider a headline signing. Not even the most famous player in his family. :P 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#12 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

So, from Major Coup to General Apathy..........

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

So, from Major Coup to General Apathy..........

Nice.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Maybe they made a mistake and signed the wrong Minichello?

#15 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

What's the point in bringing over a 32 year old, average NRL forward?  Typical Hull signing.  Forwards are our strength in the UK.

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,243 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

If he had signed for a team like St George, Brisbane, Canberra, nobody would have said anything, he would have gone there and done a decent job. Just like he'll go to Hull (a bottom half SL team) and do a decent job.

I get the point that we should be using quota spots on real stars, but we have seen loads of non-exciting signings being very good.

32 isn't that old these days for a fit player, I'm sure he'll go fine.

#17 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

Isn't it funny how often "Major coup" gets promoted to "General Disaster"

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

What's the point in bringing over a 32 year old, average NRL forward?  Typical Hull signing.  Forwards are our strength in the UK.

In what way is it a typical Hull signing? I can only think of one overseas player over the age of 30 in the current Hull squad.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#19 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

If he had signed for a team like St George, Brisbane, Canberra, nobody would have said anything, he would have gone there and done a decent job. Just like he'll go to Hull (a bottom half SL team) and do a decent job.

I get the point that we should be using quota spots on real stars, but we have seen loads of non-exciting signings being very good.

32 isn't that old these days for a fit player, I'm sure he'll go fine.

I think he'll go pretty well too.

He's a great clubman - he's been at the Titans for eight years, since their first year in the NRL, and is really respected by his peers and the fans.

A consummate professional, a hard worker and an allround good guy. 

I think Hull fans will like him

#20 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 381 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Minichello is a decent enough signing. He always appears to be putting plenty of effort into his performances and hopefully he'll bring the same attitude over to Hull. I don't think he'll be considered one of the 'here to top up his pension' brigade which is rightly or wrongly given to plenty of imports.

Did Hull announce his signing as a major coup or was that just the rumour mill? Looking at their website it announces 'Hull Sign Experienced Titans Star Minichello' which is a bit less hyperbolic than 'Major Coup'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users