TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Halifax U20 28-6 Oldham U20

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 RoughyedsMad

RoughyedsMad
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

Outfought and well beaten in an error strewn clash in wet conditions with Roughyeds being masters of their own downfall with several enforced errors. The John Hough era is a living memory now and it is sad to see that loads of clubs are light years ahead of us on all levels. I do recall going to the Shay to watch the ressies and coming away with a win in the business end of the season in the play offs a couple of years ago. The current Halifax side beat us comprehensively tonight.

#2 AmigoTopping

AmigoTopping
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Well it's the sad reality we find ourselves that will only start to change with new ownership.

#3 exiledyed

exiledyed
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Oh my god A.T , do you know what you are saying , they'll all be on here soon , run to the hills lad , run to the hills .

#4 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

Oh dear.

#5 AmigoTopping

AmigoTopping
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

So Exiled as one fan to another can you honestly say you are happy with the current state of our club? From the first team to the reserve it's run on a shoe string by a Chairman who is unable or unwilling to invest. A ground (if you can call it that) that is the embarrassment of the entire Rugby League community. I really could go on but we the fans should group together to form a trust that will take this proud club forward

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

i don't think using a result of a reserve team game is the right way to go about highlighting the clubs apparent issues..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 exiledyed

exiledyed
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

The reserve team result is just another episode in a long line of disappointments . The issues with the club have been highlighted often over the past few years but the status quo still remains and I see no way out , the small hardcore support are happy to except the situation the club is in at the moment , I personally feel the club is dead in the water and is only operating to keep one man in a job , and I would rather the club wasn't operating at all then remaining as a laughing stock of the game . This I know is extreme but living 70 miles away , I see no point in travelling back to Oldham to watch a team that has no prospect of gaining promotion or improving its situation , not when within a half hour drive I could watch Castleford or Leeds in super league , I don't do this of course because I have no connection with these teams although as a nuteral I could be watching a much better class of rugby . What the future holds for O.R.L.F.C I do not know .In my days of watching Oldham and playing at amateur level in the town , the game was in a healthy condition in the town , but currently without a decent top level team ( I can't call it profesional ) the game in the town is fading  even at amateur level . 

I do know that Mr Hamilton has upset a lot of people over the years and their are not many people willing to invest in a venture when the books are literally sealed tight , never mind closed , the club has no prospects at tin the current format . I do remember with great emotion that first game under the current regime at Rochdale and the euphoria when beat the old enemy and the phoenix rose from the ashes , but he has gone as far as he can on his own and the club needs new blood but I don't see him giving up his position in the near future .

#8 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Spot on with your evaluation there exiledyed.

ORL is only run to  keep one man in a job. The thing that amazes me is that the majority of the lunatics on this forum work hard all week to keep this man in gin and Primark suits and condone the misery he charges us to be a part of. He has no interest (or the ability) to take us forward - He a failed businessman who would not get another job anywhere else - so he spins the plates week to week to keep his grubby little show on the road.

Yes I agree he saved the Club back in the day but how long can he still take credit for that. 

I put a shift in back in 1997 once as well!!! 

Over the last 10 years have seen a steep steady decline in our standing in the game. Look at the clubs we were on par with mid 90's (Cas, Salford, Hull KR etc) and look at us now. 

#9 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

Spot on with your evaluation there exiledyed.

ORL is only run to  keep one man in a job. The thing that amazes me is that the majority of the lunatics on this forum work hard all week to keep this man in gin and Primark suits and condone the misery he charges us to be a part of. He has no interest (or the ability) to take us forward - He a failed businessman who would not get another job anywhere else - so he spins the plates week to week to keep his grubby little show on the road.

Yes I agree he saved the Club back in the day but how long can he still take credit for that. 

I put a shift in back in 1997 once as well!!! 

Over the last 10 years have seen a steep steady decline in our standing in the game. Look at the clubs we were on par with mid 90's (Cas, Salford, Hull KR etc) and look at us now. 

I offer a counselling service, i think you really need to take good use of it. You are so screwed up!

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

he's not wrong though...

ive the up most respect for CH but the job is beyond him...its beyond any person trying to do it all

OLDHAM RLFC

#11 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

Tosh apart from the occasional jib at your best Buddy Chris (which i admit I do enjoy) tell me where I am wrong please.

Do you have a time machine and travel back to 1986 every Sunday to watch and support Oldham Rugby? Because the one that I endure is a pale insignificant version of one that I used to love.

I know your and CH probably attended the same school of economics and are close pals from the needlework society, but he has failed (as he has in many other business ventures) because self preservation is more important that the Club.

He is very lucky to have such loyal customers (once your invested you cannot support another club the same - I know). If Tesco served up this Tosh (excuse the pun) there would be even more Indian restaurants around Hill Stores iwithin 3 months. Other clubs in our position 1997 have moved forward, improved or even made a profit  - Hornets. 

Tosh I will accept your offer for counselling, However, I challenge you to consider overall if CH has been Good or Bad for ORL first! 

#12 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:34 AM

Oh and Spud, I usually agree with your stance on ORL, but I don't think the job is beyond anyone.

#13 HomeOfTheTubularBandage

HomeOfTheTubularBandage
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

It's a shame we're still having these conversations. For my part as long as there's a Rugby League Club for my home town, I'll continue to support it.

That doesn't mean I'll pay 2.50 for a 60p can of bitter because there's never any draught beer on (we can all speculate as to why that may be). It doesn't mean I have to agree with the way the club is handled, promoted, staffed and managed. It doesn't mean I'm happy to be playing at a ground that is a laughing stock - even to the rest of the bottom tier of the 'professional' game.

But, until CH makes the whole financial situation at the club public, or at least available to potential investors, we will never know the how much it will cost to remedy the situation. Clearly CH will also never relinquish control of the club unless there is a signifiant financial inducement for him to do so. This would effectively mean that any prospective purchaser would have to pay more for the club than it is actually worth.

It is too risky to let the club fold...look at Bramley. So those are some of the barriers and without a sugar daddy there isn't a an instant, big-bang solution.

I know some fans will say 'Right then smart-*rse, instead of identifying problems we all know about, why not come up with solutions'.

Now, I (and most of us) am not in a personal financial position to march into the club with a blank cheque and offer CH a golden handshake, pay all the club's debts, appoint experienced people and get us back to a firm foundation from which to launch a new business model.

However, I would put SOME money into a supporters Trust...IF that Trust were able to then purchase a stake in the club (subject to due diligence) AND the Trust's appointed representatives were to have a real say in the day to day running of the club and it's strategic forward planning. This model could see a continued senior role for CH which could safeguard much of his income and influence (and maintain some stability and important relationships), while offering new investment, new ideas and reassuring/engaging the stay away supporters and other would be investors.

I suspect there are a few dozen fans who would be willing to contribute to such a scheme/proposal.

#14 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Oh and Spud, I usually agree with your stance on ORL, but I don't think the job is beyond anyone.

i mean on his own....running a club can't,isn't and never will be a one man operation

OLDHAM RLFC

#15 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

HomeOfTheTubularBandage - If someone offered Hamilton a million, £10 million or a billion, he doesn't have to sell. I happen to think that he wants the control (Back in the autumn of 2010, he clearly deemed it more important to sort out the ownership of the club, for himself, than signing up players for the following season.) and will fight tooth and nail to retain it, whatever the cost to the club. His idea of someone investing is them leaving a big bag of money on the half way line at Whitebank. Like that's going to happen. And for those head in the sand merchants, whose only response seems to be "Get behind the team and never mind who's running the club.", under the current set up, we may not have a team in a few years time.

As I've said before, in a perverse way, the only way forward is for this club to go under and reform under a different administration. To me, the RFL allowing us to still play at a venue, after 5 years, that amateur clubs would hardly be allowed to use, gives some indication still of our standing in the game. That and the strong amateur scene in the town. Bramley is a suburb of Leeds and Blackpool was an outpost, so I think any comparisons with them are invalid.

The final nail in the coffin for this administration would be if we were to win the Grand Final and are barred from the Championship, in which case coaches, players and fans would leave in droves. We can only hope, for, at the moment, we haven't even got that.

#16 HomeOfTheTubularBandage

HomeOfTheTubularBandage
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

RunItOffAfi

My point is that CH will reach a point where the choice is:

a) The club folds and he loses control cos there's nothing to control, plus he loses all the financial benefits asscoiated with club.

b) He has to consider an option similar to one I've outlined to maintain some influence and financial benefit.

I think you are delusional if you believe that the RFL thinks we are 'too big to go under' and would automatically sanction a new club. Even if they did (by no means a given), who is going to launch and run that club, and where will it play?

Your point of 'We may not have a team in few years', is a strong argument to continue supporting while we can, rather than staying away.

Edited by Bedford Roughyed, 21 August 2014 - 05:29 PM.
Disabled emoticons

#17 HomeOfTheTubularBandage

HomeOfTheTubularBandage
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

I have no idea why my 'b' turned into a shades wearing emoticon. Evemn tried to edit it and it wouldn't work.

#18 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

I have no idea why my 'b' turned into a shades wearing emoticon. Evemn tried to edit it and it wouldn't work.

If you use the 'full editor' or 'more reply options'  you have the choice to disable the emoticons... or smiley faces.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#19 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Superrude, you seem to blame CH for the demise of Oldham Rugby in 1997! I'm tired of saying it but i don't see people battering CH's door down to make offers for the club, not as though i'd be told if they were. My shift goes back 50+ years and i'm still proud of the lads who wear the shirt. I honestly don't understand why you have to stoop to slagging the guy off but it takes allsorts! He isn't my mate as you seem to assume but i have seen him do an awful lot of good for people involved with the club over the last few years which he doesn't publicise. Is the job too big for him? Probably! But as far as i'm aware there are not a lot of other options, unless you know differently. Rather that slagging off CH and those who are doing their best, why don't you do something about improving things?

Edited by TOSH1960, 21 August 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#20 andykenny

andykenny
  • Coach
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

It strikes me as though people are mentally preparing themselves for the season end disappointment.

Totally understandable given the track record.

Hamilton has neither the finance or the acumen to take this club forward.He will cling on and the club will fold.Its a matter of time.

You can offer financial and physical help.which I have.You can come up with constructive suggestions,which I have.You can support the team ,which I have and still do.In the end Hamilton wants to do it himself .He has tried ,its not working.Not about slagging him off but one thing he should know is its not about him its about the club.When he does cling too long and run it further into the ground than it already it will help nobody least of all him.

The idea that the RFL will not admit a post Hamilton Oldham back into this league or at least near to it, is bizzare .What the hell would that achieve?If the RFL are that stupid they would deserve all that:s coming to them..

Would someone take it on after it folds? Absolutely ,,,,,100% Don:t you worry!

Edited by andykenny, 21 August 2014 - 09:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users