Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Accountability

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

Who's accountable for the error which looks likely to cost us Championship status and all the prize money/improved gate receipts that would have come our way next season? Will we be told?

Posted Image

#2 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

full time CEO if you have one

Edited by Deano44, 15 August 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#3 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

full time CEO if you have one

He was on holiday during transfer deadline week.

Does that make him accountable or not?
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#4 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

He was on holiday during transfer deadline week.

Does that make him accountable or not?

The lines of accountability would appear to be a little blurred. However, a club CEO booking a holiday for one of the busiest and most important weeks of the season is staggering. A bit similar to Santa Claus going clubbing in Ibiza over Christmas.

Posted Image

#5 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Who's accountable for the error which looks likely to cost us Championship status and all the prize money/improved gate receipts that would have come our way next season? Will we be told?

someone at the club must have proposed the idea to ask Huddersfield for a DR player to fill a gap , was it specifically to ask for Jacob Fairbank or anyone the club had loaned before. then given Huddersfields reply , our club would surely then have to check if he was legible to play given the RFLs deadline 3 match ruling.

Edited by RPH, 15 August 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#6 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Huddersfield would lend us any player who wasnt playing. Due to getting game time also no comeback for them as it would appear we are the one who does the checking no one to blame buck stops at the board room and coach . Hey at least we wasnt the only club to make this mistake i suppose .

#7 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

Can we really blame kear. He's an articulate calculated tactician. Not a merciless door thumper.
I guess a club statement mixed with apology is about as likely as a reopening of the white heart.

I find it easier to accept that the infringement was naivety in desperation to field a capable team

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#8 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

Can we really blame kear. He's an articulate calculated tactician. Not a merciless door thumper.
I guess a club statement mixed with apology is about as likely as a reopening of the white heart.
I find it easier to accept that the infringement was naivety in desperation to field a capable team

I can't believe their's been no statement from your club!!

#9 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:13 PM

Graham, my dear. We are used to being treated as mere mushrooms. Whilst you may be shocked, no-one who supports the club is remotely surprised.

Posted Image

#10 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:06 AM

As upset as we all are as fans, I'll bet it is nothing compared to what Nicholas and Harrison are feeling about this mess. I don't know Kevin on a personal level, but I'm sure nobody can disagree he is a fan first and foremost, just like the rest of us. I can't even begin to imagine how he feels in all this? My guess would be he must feel even worse than I do about this whole sorry affair, and I'm absolutely gutted to put it mildly.

The club has made some catastrophic blunders this season, no-one can deny it, I'm sure the club knows they have made errors. So what good will pointing the finger of blame actually achieve?

Since the current board took over, let's look at what has been achieved:-

The ground has never looked better, 2 new stands and new terracing in the 9 'oil and at the bottom end of the ground behind the posts have been built, We have had so much success over the last 4 years, if somebody had predicted what has been achieved on the field over recent years I would have been calling for the men in white coats to come and cart them away. We hadn't won a major trophy since 1913 until the NR Cup win in 2010, we finished 3rd in the league the year after and reached the Grand Final last year. For a club the size of ours, with our gates, how was that even possible?

So come on, let's have a bit of reality check on all this. What is the point in looking for someone to blame? What has happened, has happened and we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and come back even better, stronger and wiser. FFS we are the Bulldogs, perpetual underdogs, we will be back slugging it out in this division again, mixing it with clubs with far more money and far more fans than we have. This it is what we do best in Batley, we beat the odds in the face of adversity!

If we do go down, so what, we miss out on 3 decent away followings that we have had this year, How many gates have we had this season over a 1000? I can only think of Halifax and Featherstone at home, we only had 976 against Leigh last week so in reality how much will we really lose financially? Gates will be lower but so will the wage bill, the majority of people going to home games are home fans anyway, so I don't think this will be anywhere near as disastrous as some are predicting.   

Edited by DOGFATHER, 16 August 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#11 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

As upset as we all are as fans, I'll bet it is nothing compared to what Nicholas and Harrison are feeling about this mess. I don't know Kevin on a personal level, but I'm sure nobody can disagree he is a fan first and foremost, just like the rest of us. I can't even begin to imagine how he feels in all this? My guess would be he must feel even worse than I do about this whole sorry affair, and I'm absolutely gutted to put it mildly.

The club has made some catastrophic blunders this season, no-one can deny it, I'm sure the club knows they have made errors. So what good will pointing the finger of blame actually achieve?

Since the current board took over, let's look at what has been achieved:-

The ground has never looked better, 2 new stands and new terracing in the 9 'oil and at the bottom end of the ground behind the posts have been built, We have had so much success over the last 4 years, if somebody had predicted what has been achieved on the field over recent years I would have been calling for the men in white coats to come and cart them away. We hadn't won a major trophy since 1913 until the NR Cup win in 2010, we finished 3rd in the league the year after and reached the Grand Final last year. For a club the size of ours, with our gates, how was that even possible?

So come on, let's have a bit of reality check on all this. What is the point in looking for someone to blame? What has happened, has happened and we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and come back even better, stronger and wiser. FFS we are the Bulldogs, perpetual underdogs, we will be back slugging it out in this division again, mixing it with clubs with far more money and far more fans than we have. This it is what we do best in Batley, we beat the odds in the face of adversity!

If we do go down, so what, we miss out on 3 decent away followings that we have had this year, How many gates have we had this season over a 1000? I can only think of Halifax and Featherstone at home, we only had 976 against Leigh last week so in reality how much will we really lose financially? Gates will be lower but so will the wage bill, the majority of people going to home games are home fans anyway, so I don't think this will be anywhere near as disastrous as some are predicting.

With respect, I don't really feel that - results aside, the club has progressed at all off-field since the last new stand was completed around 2003. Fair enough, we won a trophy in 2010 and reached the Grand Final in 2013. I'd argue that Karl Harrison fell into our lap due to family connections. I'd then argue that, while bringing John Kear to the club was great business which should be commended, it was his acumen and ability alone that was responsible for our great season last year.
What hasn't changed since KN took over the club is our pitiful lack of sponsorship, a complete and utter lack of promotion and communication with the fans, and our eternally decreasing crowd figures which will now plummet even further. My belief is that our success on the pitch - down to shrewd and astute coaching by quality personnel, has masked a total lack of progress off it.
I don't doubt KN's love of the club for one minute. I just feel that we've stagnated horribly behind the scenes in all aspects - which has culminated in what has been a horror season. Despite our recent successes, we're now left in a position where several clubs who have had nothing like the same on-field consistency over the last decade are now in a much better all-round position than ourselves - including Dewsbury, who will probably be in a higher division next season and have (so I believe) five directors on their board who are reportedly able to invest money whenever necessary. They have also attracted sponsorship which dwarfs our one. I have to ask why they have been able to achieve this whereas we have failed to do so. Like you, I don't personally know KN - and as I've already said I don't for one minute doubt his love for our club, but I've got to question how we have ended up in this situation despite having so many apparent advantages over some of the clubs who will be taking their place in the lucrative second tier next season?

Posted Image

#12 Leedsdog

Leedsdog
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

I AGREE

#13 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:37 AM

I am shocked so many contributors on this subject are advocating dispensing with the services of any one. The only full time employee employed by the club, has a wife and family to support. How any one could suggest they should be dismissed is beyond me. 

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#14 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

I wouldnt sack anyone but it shows now that we have needed more than one person working fulltime. When ronnie was alive he was there all the time he gone and the void is there for all to see.

#15 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

I don't think anybody is suggesting that any specific individual should be dismissed. There is a Board of Directors who ultimately take the responsibility for the lack of leadership & control this season, leading to this mess. If you are referring to our CEO, maybe his hands were tied, like our quality Coach. If he was allowed to have a holiday at a crucial part of the season, permission must have been granted by a higher authority .

#16 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

So you advocate getting rid of directors who do nothing for the club except attend all the games for free. How many company CE's ask permission to take a holiday?

#17 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

I wouldnt sack anyone but it shows now that we have needed more than one person working fulltime. When ronnie was alive he was there all the time he gone and the void is there for all to see.

Ron is still with us in many peoples eyes. Who do you think got the Foxes sponsorship? Is that person full time or part time or a volunteer?

#18 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Yes we have foxes on board great stuff for schools ??? . How does this help with the day to day running ie more funds to get better quailty players ?? . I personaly have no issue with the board told by kn went over budget on players. If this is the case we are up the creek without a paddle next season due to ovious budget being less. I in disblief how we spent more but couldnt compete with so called lesser teams this season. Is a case of being spoilt.

#19 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

Yes we have foxes on board great stuff for schools ??? . How does this help with the day to day running ie more funds to get better quailty players ?? . I personaly have no issue with the board told by kn went over budget on players. If this is the case we are up the creek without a paddle next season due to ovious budget being less. I in disblief how we spent more but couldnt compete with so called lesser teams this season. Is a case of being spoilt.

So if Foxes sponsored the ground next season and paid handsomely for the privilege, would that be good for the club.

I enjoy a good book and as I was reading last night I came across a couple of quotes which are particularly apt .Both from the King James Version

John 8-7

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone

Romans 2-1

Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

#20 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

So if Foxes sponsored the ground next season and paid handsomely for the privilege, would that be good for the club.

I enjoy a good book and as I was reading last night I came across a couple of quotes which are particularly apt .Both from the King James Version

John 8-7

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone

Romans 2-1

Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

I did exactly the same Zuehb and came up with some quotes also

"He who hath no brain posteth shiteth on here" and my favourite one "shut the feck up yer plank"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users