TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Storm last week Eels this

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Another game ends and the talk is all about the refs and inconsistency or worse. Eels are upset this week by penalty count and specific decisions. Even a young ball boy has been left 'distraught' by the ruling of him passing the ball to Eels rather than planting it on the touchline. Whatever the individual rights or wrongs what worries me is the uncertain looks in the eyes of some refs like the ones today. It may be that look of not being up to the job or a lack of confidence.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 dcc

dcc
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

I don't think it helps the refs by changing the rules at the start of every season and then when some complains start tweeking them on an almost weekly basis. The 40/20 restart is the daftest of the lot

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

You'd have thought that two refs would be better than one. 

Maybe it is but it doesn't  seem to be anywhere near twice as good.

It doesn't help inspire confidence when perfectly positioned refs refer touchdowns to the video ref.

I'm not wanting to bash refs, just reflect the impression that they seem to have lost the confidence of so many teams this season.

They are though professional referees so they are in the best position to understand and apply the rules.

Refs will sometimes get things wrong and I can accept that.

It's just when the impression comes over that there's a lack of consistency which can cause some teams seriously affect the outcome of games..

#4 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

That 40/20 rule with the 'quick' restart is pointless. Hardly anyone ever manages to actually get a quick restart out of it, and as Phil Gould said in commentary, what exactly was wrong with having a scrum? But blaming a ball boy for throwing the ball to the player instead of placing the ball on the ground is just a joke. 

#5 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

Yes and it sounds like an official told the poor lad that he'd cost the Eels the game. What a nasty thing to say.

#6 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

Now the refs are blocking players too - see Knights/Warriors game.

Granted they can't just disappear up their own fundament even if we wish at times they could!  :ph34r:

#7 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

I think we have made the game too complicated with trying to speed the game up too much and have not properly thought things through. Refs make mistakes like players. The difference is the Refs are scrutinized and put under even more pressure and we create at the start of every season even more areas which are hard to judge or putting too much workload on officials, As i have said a few times, I think we need to make the game less complicated and take away some of the pressure on officials. the 40/20 ruling is ridiculous when you think of it. Leave it as a 40/20 then Scrum not the possibility of a fast ball as we have now. We cant just blame the refs we also need to blame the people who make some of these ridiculous rules and dont think the pressure this puts the match officials and others under.. We need to slow the game down a bit and go back to having more skillful players rather than atletic super robots.

As for the Ref being in the way I think he was not in the way and its where they normally stand at scrums. Johnson deliberately ran in to the Ref to try and get the Ref to blow up. I think it was Johnsons mistake not the Ref being in the way on this one. 

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

I agree LRL: 40/20 should mean a scrum setting up a good position for the attack. That is advantage enough.

I see J Hayne is entering the fray here with referee criticism:

Jarryd Hayne has accused NRL referees of favouring clubs with “superstar” forward packs, insisting: “They get away with things in the wrestle that we don’t”.
Having won only two penalty counts since round 10, Hayne says Parramatta are paying heavily for fielding a pack without current State of Origin or Australian representation.
The Eels skipper also lit the fuse for an explosive Friday Night Football blockbuster, saying Manly — who they must beat to ensure a place in the finals — are among several glamour teams receiving more leniency at the ruck.
“The penalties ... it’s because of who we are,’’ a frustrated Hayne said. “We haven’t got the big name forwards so we get no leniency in the ruck.
“You look at clubs like Manly, Melbourne, Canterbury, South Sydney — why are they going well? Because they’re wrestling in tackles.
“They’re getting away with things that we don’t. We don’t have the big name players and so we’re not getting treated like they are.”

He's had a good season on field.
I also have to reluctantly agree in part to what he says - while watching the Dogs/Eels game this week I thought the Dogs were allowed to lay on and slow down the game to their advantage.
Eels style of play has been good this season which doesn't rely so much on the big grippers.
Doggies rely on the beef.

#9 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

As for the Ref being in the way I think he was not in the way and its where they normally stand at scrums. Johnson deliberately ran in to the Ref to try and get the Ref to blow up. I think it was Johnsons mistake not the Ref being in the way on this one. 

Glad someone else saw it like that - I thought Johnson did it deliberately when it happened, and I was slightly surprised (although maybe not in hindsight) at the reaction of some of the ex-players commentating (Kimmorley and Fein I think?). Good to see the refs took no notice of the Warriors protestations and allowed the try. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users