Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Aus v NZ

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Oh come on man, there are loads of delusional comments on this forum alone about RL's international scene being practically the same as RU's international scene.

You are vastly exaggerating here. You may find some trolls claiming this or that but I've never seen any RU fans making such comments seriously about their sport.

The test to whether someone is blinkered about RU is if they can agree to this statement:

"In the global scale of sports rugby union ranks well behind basketball, volleyball and handball.  It's probably on about a level with baseball and hockey."

If they can then they are a functioning human being.  If they can't then we have a problem.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#102 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,077 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

The test to whether someone is blinkered about RU is if they can agree to this statement:

"In the global scale of sports rugby union ranks well behind basketball, volleyball and handball.  It's probably on about a level with baseball and hockey."

If they can then they are a functioning human being.  If they can't then we have a problem.

Being ignorant of facts does not mean someone isn't a functioning human being. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#103 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

I agree about handball and basketball, I have no idea how big volleyball is though.

What RU has in its favor is the vast amounts of money they make with their international game and increasingly with their domestic championships compared to those sports.

Handball is pretty big in France, yet their local league's TV deal is only worth 1.2m euro / year: http://www.asoif.com...le.aspx?ID=4191

#104 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Being ignorant of facts does not mean someone isn't a functioning human being. 

This is the internet.

- Severus, July 2012

#105 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

I agree about handball and basketball, I have no idea how big volleyball is though.

What RU has in its favor is the vast amounts of money they make with their international game and increasingly with their domestic championships compared to those sports.

Handball is pretty big in France, yet their local league's TV deal is only worth 1.2m euro / year: http://www.asoif.com...le.aspx?ID=4191

You really shouldn't worry yourself too much about any criticism of union, no matter how minor or major, after all, you are a Rugby League fan! ;)

#106 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

No wonder my brave Dunkerque boys can't compete at European level.

- Severus, July 2012

#107 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

competitive score today. when will union see sense and stop messing around with these one sided scores? maybe the aussies should go into a development comp before trying to compete with the big boys? 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#108 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

True enough. So what went wrong over 4 years to cause a 46 point swing in the result? Or was that previous result an anomaly, like when Scotland manage to beat the Springboks despite giving the impression most of the time that they've never seen a rugby ball before? A genuine question, no agenda- I don't really know the history of the games between the two countries.

Like I said WM in my previous response to your post above, it happens in most sports - including union

#109 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

Interesting take by the Guardian on yesterday's match. http://www.theguardi...isloe-cup-rugby

"There were no big moments of match-defining brilliant plays; rather, it was victory forged on a superbly drilled team flawlessly executing the basics of rugby – catch, pass, kick, and hardness in the tackle and over the ball. As good as the All Blacks were (and to be clear, no team would have beaten them on Saturday), there’s a lingering question about the opposition – namely, where were they?"

The All Backs hammered Australia because they got the basics right. How can you be an international player and not be able to catch or pass a ball?!
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#110 Alfies Thumb

Alfies Thumb
  • Coach
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

Interesting take by the Guardian on yesterday's match. http://www.theguardi...isloe-cup-rugby

"There were no big moments of match-defining brilliant plays; rather, it was victory forged on a superbly drilled team flawlessly executing the basics of rugby – catch, pass, kick, and hardness in the tackle and over the ball. As good as the All Blacks were (and to be clear, no team would have beaten them on Saturday), there’s a lingering question about the opposition – namely, where were they?"

The All Backs hammered Australia because they got the basics right. How can you be an international player and not be able to catch or pass a ball?!

I see you're taking the article literally. I hope that works out for you.

Anyway, what the ABs did well on Saturday night was take their opportunities. Case in point, Folau makes a break, runs 60 or so metres and is pulled down about 10m out. The Aussies recycled it and crabbed across field. The Aussie second rower dropped the ball out from the line and instead of booting it safely into touch as most teams would have, the ABs worked down the sideline and Savea scored the try. I knew the Aussies would get flogged then.

The ABs did the basics really well but it was their physicality at the breakdown which won the game for them.

#111 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

How can you be an international player and not be able to catch or pass a ball?!

In a similar sense as to why did the England league side stop tackling at the end of the RLWC semi final, surely international league players should be able to tackle?

28m391z.jpg

#112 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

In a similar sense as to why did the England league side stop tackling at the end of the RLWC semi final, surely international league players should be able to tackle?

In another similar sense, why did the wobblies stop tackling throughout the game against the AB's?  Surely, the missed tackle in the England League game was due to the high skill levels of the attacker.  Rugby would be very boring if no one ever missed a tackle and it can also be great when the players are consistently able to perform the basic passing skills.

#113 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Surely, the missed tackle in the England League game was due to the high skill levels of the attacker.

Tackling is such a basic skill, surely the England player should have been able to tackle?

28m391z.jpg

#114 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Tackling is such a basic skill, surely the England player should have been able to tackle?

They obviously did so, much better than the wobblies!

#115 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

They obviously did so, much better than the wobblies!

If they did tackle then how did the kiwi player stroll over for a try to win the game?

28m391z.jpg

#116 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

If they did tackle then how did the kiwi player stroll over for a try to win the game?

Presumably, in much the same way that the wobblies allowed the AB's to stroll past so prolifically

#117 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

Presumably, in much the same way that the wobblies allowed the AB's to stroll past so prolifically

So you admit that the england league side are as deficient in basic skills as the Wallabies. On that we both can finally agree.

28m391z.jpg

#118 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

So you admit that the england league side are as deficient in basic skills as the Wallabies. On that we both can finally agree.

In a tackle situation there are two basic skills on show and only one can prevail.  The defender either makes the tackle or the attacker evades and / or breaks the tackle.  Simples.  You brought up tackling.  The discussion was about passing.  If you can't pass then you are lacking a basic skill.  Do keep up.

#119 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

In a tackle situation there are two basic skills on show and only one can prevail.  The defender either makes the tackle or the attacker evades and / or breaks the tackle.  Simples.  You brought up tackling.  The discussion was about passing.  If you can't pass then you are lacking a basic skill.  Do keep up.

If you miss tackles then this sounds like a pretty serious deficiency too, IMHO. Perhaps this is considered a good thing in league as it seems league spectators are purely interested in tries and the rest is just window dressing and mostly irrelevant.

28m391z.jpg

#120 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

If you miss tackles then this sounds like a pretty serious deficiency too, IMHO. Perhaps this is considered a good thing in league as it seems league spectators are purely interested in tries and the rest is just window dressing and mostly irrelevant.

Equally, if you can't break or evade a tackle that sounds like a pretty serious deficiency too.  As I say, there are two skill sets in a tackle situation - attack and defence.  Only one can prevail.  I don't expect you to understand this.