Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

game day change

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 ivans82

ivans82
  • Players
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

i personally think sunday afternoons are finished . nearly everyone i talk to that doesn t go anymore goes to the pub to watch premiership football .if not they re playing in local golf competitions . then theres formula i , last day golf tournaments , athletics , wimbledon  , etc.  how about a switch to friday night watch the match then go on the town . could record super league match and watch it later .there will be at least 5 full time clubs in our league next year so it shouldn t be a problem .

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

Clubs have had this debate haven't they . I guess it's all down to will more people turn up .

#3 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

I wouldn't mind Friday nights. I think it's worth looking at alternatives to increase crowds.

#4 Anonymouse

Anonymouse
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

I always believe weekends are for matches .... many cant make it to games either Pro or Amateur midweek or fri due to shift patterns , its a working mans game .

Edited by Anonymouse, 16 August 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

Maybe a debate the club can open up with fans and potential fans . I quite like a night match personally , there's an atmosphere about them . Maybe trial it and contrast crowds ? Try it against a full time team like Bradford . That would be good under lights . I guess you'd need a few games to contrast crowds against similar levels of opponents . Any things worth at least having a craic about to increase interest

Edited by DavidM, 16 August 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#6 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

It's worth a try

#7 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

I wouldn't mind Friday nights. I think it's worth looking at alternatives to increase crowds.

I've always though Friday nights at 7 o clock, time for people still to go the boozer after.

#8 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

I always believe weekends are for matches .... many cant make it to games either Pro or Amateur midweek or fri due to shift patterns , its a working mans game .

i have to swap shifts to make Sundays so shift patterns go through the weekend too. Don't see why shift patterns affect a Friday so much and not other days

#9 JOHNNY83

JOHNNY83
  • Facebook
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

I think you would lose a few away supporters. Lets say we play Bradford on a Friday night at 7, Some Bulls fans who would have travelled up on the Sunday might not finish work til 5 on the Friday. I suppose there would be no harm trying it but you have to think of the logistics.

#10 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

I think most are missing the point. Our lads are semi pro and all have other jobs to do. Some shift patterns would make them unavailable for Fridays, some would work 12 hour shifts until 6 o clock, then would be expected to lace a pair of boots up an hour later. What about lads from away, how could we expect them to go to work then travel 2-3 hours to get here in time for kick off. It's not going to happen, if people really want to watch town then they'll make time on a Sunday like we all do.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#11 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

i have to swap shifts to make Sundays so shift patterns go through the weekend too. Don't see why shift patterns affect a Friday so much and not other days

theres a lot less shifts go through Sundays than they do Fridays. And Johnny makes a great point about fans.

#12 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

I think you would lose a few away supporters. Lets say we play Bradford on a Friday night at 7, Some Bulls fans who would have travelled up on the Sunday might not finish work til 5 on the Friday. I suppose there would be no harm trying it but you have to think of the logistics.

johnny I think we mainly mean home fans we rarely get many away fans at workington.it would be same the other way round when our fans travel but this league is mainly a home fans league. Even fev and Leigh hardly brought any fans up here for sunday matches. Friday night games then into town for a pint may appeal to more locals

#13 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

theres a lot less shifts go through Sundays than they do Fridays. And Johnny makes a great point about fans.

I disagree wonky. Shift patterns go 7 days a week. No shift pattern is better for sunday than Friday. Working 12 hours mean you get four days off on a rolling pattern

#14 Anonymouse

Anonymouse
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

my shift pattern and alot of others are monday til sat morning  and not weekends ..if you work backs and nights and days then you can only go to the match on day shift fridays and that match on the pattern might be away that week .

Edited by Anonymouse, 16 August 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#15 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

I am only talking certain games. Not all season. Just a personal opinion.

#16 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Probably worth a try but have to think about :
The impact on any travelling players that are part time even getting up from Millom would present challenges after work
Friday night games will be up against live Super League
Travelling fans - someone mentioned the Bradford games as an example. If they are successful, then I'd expect Bradford to have a sizeable away following. We may attract another 100 home fans but lose 150 away fans who wont or can't travel

#17 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

Well I think it's worth considering a 7.30 or 8 Friday game . If you never try you never know . I understand the away fans thing , but it's once a season , and some make a weekend of it . Here we're talking about getting in more and new townies , who'll come back whenever we play . Pick a game then with a poor crowd this year and not much away support . What's to lose . There are swings n roundabouts , and arguments and counter arguments for everything , and if you concentrate on barriers then you'd never innovate

Edited by DavidM, 17 August 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#18 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

But then everyone will be whinging because our travellers couldn't make it up or a local lad has to work. Just can't see the point in it, and would usually clash with a big super league game. Nope not for me.

#19 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Could play it on a challenge cup weekend so it wouldn't clash

#20 ivans82

ivans82
  • Players
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

why not tial friday nights with say sheffield  ,  keighley  ,  and broncos  none of them  will ever bring any away support  .