Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

game day change

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

johnny I think we mainly mean home fans we rarely get many away fans at workington.it would be same the other way round when our fans travel but this league is mainly a home fans league. Even fev and Leigh hardly brought any fans up here for sunday matches. Friday night games then into town for a pint may appeal to more locals

I went to the Workington v Leigh game this season and there were over 300 there from Leigh.

From your point of view I can understand why you think more Workington fans would turn up for a Friday night game but the Leigh following would be badly affected. 

#22 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Granted there were a lot but I don't think there was 300.

#23 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

The crowd on the day was 814 and the crowds either side of that day were 627 and 776, so I would say Leigh brought about 100 - 150 frankb.   

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#24 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

There were 2 supporters coaches and 3 minibus's and lots went in their cars.

The dvd of the game shows that there were a lot of Leythers there.

Edited by frankb, 21 August 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#25 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

There were 2 supporters coaches and 3 minibus's and lots went in their cars.

The dvd of the game shows that there were a lot of Leythers there.

There was a few but not 300

#26 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

200 tops

#27 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

The international game coming up is on a Friday night so that might test the theory as to whether people will come on a different day. I know it'll be a different fan base to a certain extent but it'll at least give an indication.

#28 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Barrow board allegedly looking at possible Saturday evening home games. 6:30 KO'S

#29 Alineden

Alineden
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

Friday evening games mean you get a chance of peoples disposable income before others. For instance before the football , the speedway, the missus wanting to go shopping, a Saturday night out. These can all mean there is very little left by Sunday afternoon.

#30 JOHNNY83

JOHNNY83
  • Facebook
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

Well I think it's worth considering a 7.30 or 8 Friday game . If you never try you never know . I understand the away fans thing , but it's once a season , and some make a weekend of it . Here we're talking about getting in more and new townies , who'll come back whenever we play . Pick a game then with a poor crowd this year and not much away support . What's to lose . There are swings n roundabouts , and arguments and counter arguments for everything , and if you concentrate on barriers then you'd never innovate

We tried this a few years ago, I think it was against Doncaster, We won the game, Scott Burgess had a blinder, We had a good night as we didn't have to worry about work in the morning, we went to town after the game for a few scoops. Sounds fantastic...................................

But the crowd was rather poor, I'm not sure on the exact attendance figure but I'm pretty sure it was down on our season average!

#31 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

We tried this a few years ago, I think it was against Doncaster, We won the game, Scott Burgess had a blinder, We had a good night as we didn't have to worry about work in the morning, we went to town after the game for a few scoops. Sounds fantastic...................................
But the crowd was rather poor, I'm not sure on the exact attendance figure but I'm pretty sure it was down on our season average!

yeah johnny it could sort of backfire by having a poor crowd that is certainly a possibility but I always think don't knock something until you have tried it. Obviously your in a position to knock it as you say it affected your crowd. However there are quite a few up here seem keen to see how it would go. Only one way to find out.

#32 JOHNNY83

JOHNNY83
  • Facebook
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Found the attendance: 626

We hosted Swinton a fortnight before: 644

and Keighley a week later: 718

On a personal note, I would love a Friday night game but on the whole IMO I don't think it would make much difference!

#33 JOHNNY83

JOHNNY83
  • Facebook
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

yeah johnny it could sort of backfire by having a poor crowd that is certainly a possibility but I always think don't knock something until you have tried it. Obviously your in a position to knock it as you say it affected your crowd. However there are quite a few up here seem keen to see how it would go. Only one way to find out.

We (Town) have tried it................ That's what I'm getting at lol

#34 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

We (Town) have tried it................ That's what I'm getting at lol

sorry johnny I am getting you mixed up with someone else off another forum doh!

#35 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

With a winning team playing good quality RL and more publicity about ourselves I think the Sunday crowds would go up quite a bit.  We didn't need to change our day when we were last on the rise under Ashton and Walsh and the crowds grew enormously to what they were.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#36 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

Couldn't believe that bit in the RLE about the opening Wigan game in SL . Only 18 years back... 7,002 !!

#37 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

I remember going to play HKR in a friendly at Galashiels and we took 15 coachloads.   I've never seen a beer tent so busy!!!!!!!

#38 ivans82

ivans82
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

i loved the ashton era . but that was before televised premiership football , and the mass of other sports now concentrated on sunday afternoons . it was also before all day drinking laws came in and there still was that hope of promotion . all these things contribute to falling gates .thats why i would try friday nights .

#39 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

Anythings worth a try.

#40 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

With a winning team playing good quality RL and more publicity about ourselves I think the Sunday crowds would go up quite a bit. We didn't need to change our day when we were last on the rise under Ashton and Walsh and the crowds grew enormously to what they were.

That's all it takes Keith a winning team. Also can the club not maybe afford to lover admission prices?
Reds is down to £10 adults £6 concessions and under 16's £1. (Yes I know we have dropped down a league)

But for our 1st home game of the season on Tuesday night there was a crowd of 415.

We got no where near 400 last season!

Food for thought

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users