Chairman statement

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Nicholas

Kevin Nicholas
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:42 AM

The error that lead to the points deduction I regard as my fault.Nobody at our Club was aware of the rule obviously including me.i can assure you I deeply regret this error.The week of the end of season deadline was no busier than any other week and the error was not made because we did not have personnel to attend to it but because we did not realise the rule. It would therefore not have made any difference if Paul was not on holiday.if you think we are incompetent or I am incompetent then so be it. If you think someone should take over so be it. There is nothing that I can say that will change your mind I am sure.If you have any questions ring me or if you know wealthy individuals who want to take over the Club tell them to ring me.We have one full-time person at the Club and a lot of volunteers including me , my fellow directors and all our wives along with others who work for next to nowt but we have a great spirit which I hope continues.We will be putting in an appeal on points deduction punishment so cannot expand on issue just yet but will do so when finalised .

#2 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for your response Kevin. Surely, as a committed Chairman, you see the huge need for support on the Board, investment, etc? It is easy to comment on this forum, sometimes critically as a supporter, but the majority on here have the same passion for the club as the Durectors and their wives. The difference is, we do not own the Club.

Surely as owner of the Club, it is important for you to progress the Club, as you have, sometimes against all odds, for which the true supporters have given you the plaudits, and quite rightly so. Now that the demands of the game are changing rapidly, surely it is the responsibility of the chairman/owner of the Club to restructure the Club to cope with these demands and remain in a competitive arena to compete for the bigger spoils? It is hardly taking responsibility by throwing the duty of attracting new directors and stakeholders back to the supporters, who have voiced their concerns via this medium.

#3 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

What happened to Gary's post? 

#4 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

What happened to Gary's post? 

The dictators took it down

#5 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Put yourself in a potential investors shoes. (Who wants to invest in a rugby league club). Batley with the very poor crowds would not be high on their list (if on it at all). The only investors we are going to get are wealthy fans (if there are any). I see people on here slating the BOD when they put in more time, effort, and money. Into this club than anyone else. There are business owners who post constant negative comments on here about the running of our club yet they don't stand up and help. They don't even sponsor the club in any way so how they can expect Kevin to find some millionaire investor that isn't a batley fan when they don't contribute is beyond me.

It's as if they feel that Kevin and the other board members make a profit from the club which I can assure you they do not.

It's easy to post comments on here saying the board didn't do enough. Yes mistakes have been made and the Chairman has taken responsibility for them. Finger pointing isn't going to make things any better. One guy at the match yesterday told me that he thinks that the directors should remortgage their houses to fund the club. My reply was "Why don't you?" He said that he was just a fan and buys a season ticket every year so he does his bit.

There's obviously people on here who could do more. Well that's pretty much everybody if they really thought about it. Bring a friend to games, donate to bissa, volunteer at the club. The club has overachieved over the past 5 years. And based on attendance ( as I have said before ) we should be bottom of the league.

Sorry for the long post. Thought I'd say my bit.

Edited by M Hopkins, 18 August 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#6 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for your response Kevin. Surely, as a committed Chairman, you see the huge need for support on the Board, investment, etc? It is easy to comment on this forum, sometimes critically as a supporter, but the majority on here have the same passion for the club as the Durectors and their wives. The difference is, we do not own the Club.

Surely as owner of the Club, it is important for you to progress the Club, as you have, sometimes against all odds, for which the true supporters have given you the plaudits, and quite rightly so. Now that the demands of the game are changing rapidly, surely it is the responsibility of the chairman/owner of the Club to restructure the Club to cope with these demands and remain in a competitive arena to compete for the bigger spoils? It is hardly taking responsibility by throwing the duty of attracting new directors and stakeholders back to the supporters, who have voiced their concerns via this medium.

Agree completely.

We all care deeply about the club, and unfortunately at the minute emotions are running high with everyone connected with the club, so at the minute any talk of you leaving Kevin is a knee jerk reaction, as are the calls from some for change.

In sport its great when things are going well, everyone loves the pats on the back, but you have to be able to take the flack when things dont go so well.

Whilst relegation is financially disasterous for us, it could be a blessing in disguise, as we would only be in a relegation scrap again next year in a lop sided championship.

Its the perfect chance to regroup, take stock, make changes that can benefit us going forward and get a team on the field that can challenge for honours in the bottom tier next year.

The season though has been a disaster from week 1 and i personally blame our terrible recruitment for our demise, the points deduction just sped up the process. I pin most of the blame firmly at the door of John Kear for some terrible signings and some questionable tactics at times.

If it wasnt for you Kevin, we may not have had a club to support, and you certainly have my backing as chairman.

Lifes a learning curve and you learn from your mistakes, so by that logic we should become a much stronger club for this experience.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#7 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

Well said BTJ

#8 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

The dictators took it down

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#9 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

does this not blow your appeal out of the water, on what grounds can you appeal when you admit you didn't know the rules?.Very strange timing of this i would have though it was best left until after the appeal

#10 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

We will be putting in an appeal on points deduction punishment so cannot expand on issue just yet but will do so when finalised .

does this not blow your appeal out of the water, on what grounds can you appeal when you admit you didn't know the rules?.Very strange timing of this i would have though it was best left until after the appeal

If you read the above statement it would appear they are appealing the severity of the punishment, not that they have broken the rules. i.e they believe a fine or delayed points deduction would be fairer. 

Same as Suarez appealing I suppose, he wasn't arguing the guilty part just the severity of punishment.

All teams should just assume that the points may be handed back.

#11 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

If you read the above statement it would appear they are appealing the severity of the punishment, not that they have broken the rules. i.e they believe a fine or delayed points deduction would be fairer.

Same as Suarez appealing I suppose, he wasn't arguing the guilty part just the severity of punishment.

All teams should just assume that the points may be handed back.

points handed back !!!!

not a prayer why do you think it took 2 days to go thru all the facts

there is not one team who has played a dodgy registered player,brought to task,had points removed....then got them back

think themselves lucky they won the game
unlike doncaster who are in reality 2 points worse off.

batley clutching at glass straws

when your drowning....you'd cling to anything

even a floating log of poo poo.

Edited by coolie, 18 August 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#12 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

the RFL might double the sanction

#13 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

points handed back !!!!

not a prayer why do you think it took 2 days to go thru all the facts

there is not one team who has played a dodgy registered player,brought to task,had points removed....then got them back

think themselves lucky they won the game
unlike doncaster who are in reality 2 points worse off.

batley clutching at glass straws

when your drowning....you'd cling to anything

even a floating log of poo poo.

Haha yes you are 99.9% likely to be right, but hey this is the RFL

we are dealing with!  If only they just had it written down in black

and white if you field an illegible player you get this punishment.

#14 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Why not ask faissl naphoodo to invest in your club ""NOT"" then you would aprecate all the work done by the volenteers who have your club at heart the bloke nearly ruined my club fev if it was't for our chairman mark campbell who saw thru him and got rid of the investment that he was going to put into my club heard he's looking for another club to ruin

#15 ricochet

ricochet
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Why not ask faissl naphoodo to invest in your club ""NOT"" then you would aprecate all the work done by the volenteers who have your club at heart the bloke nearly ruined my club fev if it was't for our chairman mark campbell who saw thru him and got rid of the investment that he was going to put into my club heard he's looking for another club to ruin

It's not just Fev he's nearly sunk but Cas and Halifax too. If he comes knocking on any chairmans door (no matter how skint you are) you should tell him and his cronies to do one.

Ricochet!

#16 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Some of our fans would be happy to have him.

#17 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Put yourself in a potential investors shoes. (Who wants to invest in a rugby league club). Batley with the very poor crowds would not be high on their list (if on it at all). The only investors we are going to get are wealthy fans (if there are any). I see people on here slating the BOD when they put in more time, effort, and money. Into this club than anyone else. There are business owners who post constant negative comments on here about the running of our club yet they don't stand up and help. They don't even sponsor the club in any way so how they can expect Kevin to find some millionaire investor that isn't a batley fan when they don't contribute is beyond me.

It's as if they feel that Kevin and the other board members make a profit from the club which I can assure you they do not.

It's easy to post comments on here saying the board didn't do enough. Yes mistakes have been made and the Chairman has taken responsibility for them. Finger pointing isn't going to make things any better. One guy at the match yesterday told me that he thinks that the directors should remortgage their houses to fund the club. My reply was "Why don't you?" He said that he was just a fan and buys a season ticket every year so he does his bit.

There's obviously people on here who could do more. Well that's pretty much everybody if they really thought about it. Bring a friend to games, donate to bissa, volunteer at the club. The club has overachieved over the past 5 years. And based on attendance ( as I have said before ) we should be bottom of the league.

Sorry for the long post. Thought I'd say my bit.

Are some people for real suggesting that directors should remortgage their houses to fund the club,so if club goes bump they lose their houses that they have worked hard for years for, they may already have remortgaged their houses to help keep the club afloat as a previous regime did.

In my mind Kev has done a great job over the last 17 years ok some wrong decisions have been made this year which has been very costly to the club but as long as lessons have been learnt there is no reason why the club can't forward with Kev at the helm. people that would want some like feisal at the helm  or a chairman that spends willy nilly to attain the holy grail be careful what you wish for , its only just over 17 seasons ago when the previous chairman nearly took the club under, paying over the top wages to basically what were journeymen and players at the back end of their career eg mike kuiti and selling off our best assets on the cheap eg glen tomlinson  .

BTJ i agree with most of what you say as in it could be a blessing in disguise in that club takes stock of this season,learn from this years errors and regroup and move forward, bit i don't agree with is totally blaming JK for all the terrible signings , yes agree he has to take responsibility for some of it, but the club as a whole has to take its share of the blame as it will have been decided at board level what budget he had to play with and if you have only got a limited amount of funds you don't go do your food shopping at waitrose or marks and spencers, you have to go to aldi which is a lot cheaper but a gamble on whether its as good as waitrose and sometimes you get a pleasant surprise when its a lot better ( as in Alex Walmsley the other season), so in a way  his hands will have been tied finacially on who he could sign , the other factor is players agents knew a fair few clubs were willing to gamble in attempt to stop in championship and the likes of faisal who was willing to pay over the odds meant that players we could afford previous season ,we couldn't this season and this is where Kev is a no win situation is if they had splashed the cash and got in better players and still went #### up with the club going under, we the fans would have been beying blood.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#18 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Some of our fans would be happy to have him.

not me would rather have a club to support in years time

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#19 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

Are some people for real suggesting that directors should remortgage their houses to fund the club,so if club goes bump they lose their houses that they have worked hard for years for, they may already have remortgaged their houses to help keep the club afloat as a previous regime did.

In my mind Kev has done a great job over the last 17 years ok some wrong decisions have been made this year which has been very costly to the club but as long as lessons have been learnt there is no reason why the club can't forward with Kev at the helm. people that would want some like feisal at the helm or a chairman that spends willy nilly to attain the holy grail be careful what you wish for , its only just over 17 seasons ago when the previous chairman nearly took the club under, paying over the top wages to basically what were journeymen and players at the back end of their career eg mike kuiti and selling off our best assets on the cheap eg glen tomlinson .

BTJ i agree with most of what you say as in it could be a blessing in disguise in that club takes stock of this season,learn from this years errors and regroup and move forward, bit i don't agree with is totally blaming JK for all the terrible signings , yes agree he has to take responsibility for some of it, but the club as a whole has to take its share of the blame as it will have been decided at board level what budget he had to play with and if you have only got a limited amount of funds you don't go do your food shopping at waitrose or marks and spencers, you have to go to aldi which is a lot cheaper but a gamble on whether its as good as waitrose and sometimes you get a pleasant surprise when its a lot better ( as in Alex Walmsley the other season), so in a way his hands will have been tied finacially on who he could sign , the other factor is players agents knew a fair few clubs were willing to gamble in attempt to stop in championship and the likes of faisal who was willing to pay over the odds meant that players we could afford previous season ,we couldn't this season and this is where Kev is a no win situation is if they had splashed the cash and got in better players and still went #### up with the club going under, we the fans would have been beying blood.

I like Aldi to be fair.

As for budget, that is obviously set at board level, but the fact that the BISSA pot hasnt been touched this year says to me that we must have had a reasonable enough budget to compete and that its been really badly used.

Im sure Kevin is taking the blame as he is responsible for the club as a whole, but he doesnt identify players to sign, pick the team, train them and set the tactics, which has ultimately led to the predicament we are in.

Thats my opinion, we can debate it all day long,but all that really matters now is how best to move forward and learn from what has been a complete disaster of a season.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#20 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

Well, I guess that the underpinning message behind this statement is that we, as fans, should prepare for the worst. If we can't attract investment, can't attract sponsorship and can't attract crowds, then a long stint at the bottom of Championship 1 is the future.
If the current regime cannot increase the club's income - over nearly 17 years in fact, then no-one can. All hope is lost. This after a Grand Final appearance and a fantastic subsequent marketing campaign which massively increased our visibility yet amazingly failed to capture the imagination of the town during the close season. We couldn't even attract any decent players to the club after one of the most successful seasons in our history. I reckon we've truly found our level.
As fans, we need to be careful not to be too critical. If we are, the only people in the whole world who are capable of running the club might walk away and leave us with no club at all to cheer on against Hemel Hempstead.

Edited by TheTerminator, 18 August 2014 - 06:47 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users