TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Chairman statement

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 ivans82

ivans82
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

speaking as a workington town fan , i find it unthinkable that a team involved in last years final would even be in this position . the problem surely goes much deeper than this  .

#22 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

No its 10 players left yes 10 9 played in the grandfinal think about it. If your team lost 1o starting players from the 17 would you struggle. Lets hope you dont brillant season equals players offered more money more security for their familys .there is your reason fetch in 10 players that have not played togeather before and see how your season goes .

#23 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

speaking as a workington town fan , i find it unthinkable that a team involved in last years final would even be in this position . the problem surely goes much deeper than this  .

Aye, but it wasn't exactly this team that took us to the final.  I guess you are not aware, but we lost 2 players to super league (plus one this season), 4 to Featherstone Rovers, 2 to Halifax plus 2 more to other clubs plus 2 daft enough to get themselves bans for betting on matches.  I also suspect that if any one of the teams from 4 to 10 had their chief playmaker out for much of the season they would be in the position that we are currently in. 

#24 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

Aye, but it wasn't exactly this team that took us to the final. I guess you are not aware, but we lost 2 players to super league (plus one this season), 4 to Featherstone Rovers, 2 to Halifax plus 2 more to other clubs plus 2 daft enough to get themselves bans for betting on matches. I also suspect that if any one of the teams from 4 to 10 had their chief playmaker out for much of the season they would be in the position that we are currently in.

We knew that most of the players who departed were leaving three quarters of the way through last season. That they were not more adequately replaced was hugely disappointing - as was the decision to rely heavily on dual registration.
As for our chief playmaker being injured - we knew he was crocked well before the start of the season and would be out for a considerable period, yet still chose to re-sign him and then wilfully spent the first third of the campaign relying on a 19 year old with no experience.
When the 19 year old with no experience then suffered a season ending injury, we then chose to rely solely on a patched up veteran who was always one tackle away from the treatment table. Why was no replacement understudy sought, or a player who could cover halfback if necessary? Staggering when you consider that BISSA money has been left to gather interest all season.

Edited by TheTerminator, 18 August 2014 - 07:43 PM.

Posted Image

#25 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

I seem to remember that Black was expected to be fit much earlier in the season but suffered a further breakdown.  I don't know whether there were quality half backs waiting to picked up at that stage. Nevertheless you make a fair point Terminator. 

#26 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

No its 10 players left yes 10 9 played in the grandfinal think about it. If your team lost 1o starting players from the 17 would you struggle. Lets hope you dont brillant season equals players offered more money more security for their familys .there is your reason fetch in 10 players that have not played togeather before and see how your season goes .

Eh.

#27 windogs

windogs
  • Players
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

Well, I guess that the underpinning message behind this statement is that we, as fans, should prepare for the worst. If we can't attract investment, can't attract sponsorship and can't attract crowds, then a long stint at the bottom of Championship 1 is the future.
If the current regime cannot increase the club's income - over nearly 17 years in fact, then no-one can. All hope is lost. This after a Grand Final appearance and a fantastic subsequent marketing campaign which massively increased our visibility yet amazingly failed to capture the imagination of the town during the close season. We couldn't even attract any decent players to the club after one of the most successful seasons in our history. I reckon we've truly found our level.
As fans, we need to be careful not to be too critical. If we are, the only people in the whole world who are capable of running the club might walk away and leave us with no club at all to cheer on against Hemel Hempstead.

Have you given Kev a ring yet The Terminator?

#28 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

You need batley lads in the team

like the batley legends who played with big hearts

lythe,maun,flanagan,moxon,wilson,spieght,storey,scott

wonder if the likes of judas faal will be taking
30 pieces of silver at the first oppotunity
like he did us.

you need loyalty above all now

#29 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Have you given Kev a ring yet The Terminator?

Would it be normal procedure for a fan to give a club chairman a telephone call to discuss his concerns?
What you're actually saying is; "You daren't give him a ring, dare you.". Why should I? I've outlined my concerns on here, and he's responded. He doesn't agree with anyone's criticism - constructive or otherwise, and it appears that little will change. Would the chairman change his views if I made the rather peculiar step of giving him a ring to repeat what I've written on this forum?
Either way, it's not like anyone answers the phone up there when you do ring. The same goes for replying to emails.

Edited by TheTerminator, 18 August 2014 - 09:12 PM.

Posted Image

#30 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

As much as iro was a trojan or super sub with his trademark try is he up to it?

Ronnie would turn in his grave the way we are seemingly melting away.

Was stevie b onto something a few month back

Cougars and haven need to wobble but a minor miracle is needed to avoid disaster

Edited by 9' oller, 18 August 2014 - 09:25 PM.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#31 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

As much as iro was a trojan or super sub with his trademark try is he up to it?

Ronnie would turn in his grave the way we are seemingly melting away.

Was stevie b onto something a few month back

Cougars and haven need to wobble but a minor miracle is needed to avoid disaster

Really?

#32 Kevin Nicholas

Kevin Nicholas
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

It is difficult to answer complex issues in a few sentences which is what happens here but it is unfair to say nothing is taken on board. I have previously said our decision to go with a smaller squad and rely on dual reg was the wrong one in hindsight and it has had a major impact on our season.Blacky missing for most of the season has had a massive impact as it would have at any Club who had their most experienced playmaker missing. We fully expected him to be back much sooner than he was on his first injury but there was a constant problem with fluid which at one point looked like it would not clear up.Then Leak gets injured seriously & Ben gets injured again which is bad luck. Playmakers are not exactly in abundance and not many Clubs are able to run with 3 experienced halfbacks where each week one will not play.Clubs are now looking for players who can play in more than one position which helps this situation.The Bissa situation is not a question of not spending but saving for next season but I will attend their meeting to go thru it with the committee who can then advise members.
The present Board & Iro have been here over a period of time when the Club has been transformed and we have achieved on & off the field so to say anyone is not up to it is a joke.To say this season we have made errors which are unforgivable makes more sense.We are not perfect and have never been but i can assure you it is far from easy.We do not do it for plaudits I can assure you but cos we love the Club and for the most part enjoy it .We are constantly at the Club trying to improve revenue streams away from rugby so that we are sustainable as a business and we are doing that as we know we & other Clubs cannot survive on gates and we have achieved some success which is why we are still here.Eg. My daughter & friends hand delivered 10,000 leaflets to homes in Batley promoting function suites at Club.We can improve in some areas but we have not done too bad.
The errors of this season will not be repeated but hopefully the bad luck will not be either but I am not trying to persuade everyone on this forum to accept that I am just trying to explain a bit.By the way I have a job so am not at the Club each day but will speak to anyone if spoken to as I have no problem answering questions.prefer to know who I am speaking to though!

#33 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Is there any word on when the appeal will be heard ?

#34 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

You need batley lads in the team

like the batley legends who played with big hearts

lythe,maun,flanagan,moxon,wilson,spieght,storey,scott

wonder if the likes of judas faal will be taking
30 pieces of silver at the first oppotunity
like he did us.

you need loyalty above all now

I've heard from a bloke at the chip shop, he will be unveiled as our "marquee" signing tonight - no really, it's true. ;)

#35 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

I've heard from a bloke at the chip shop, he will be unveiled as our "marquee" signing tonight - no really, it's true. ;)

tell you if its judas faal signing tonight only marquee type building he will be coming in close contact with will be a teepee rammed up his ar.senal wide end first ;)

#36 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

he was only asking, I'm sure he wasn't aware that you'd lost that many players. As for our season? We have every single player bar one who has been injured all year signed up for next season and most on 2 year contracts, it's called forward thinking and making sure your competitive in the future, a club like batley shouldn't be on there way down I'm afraid and from the times I've seen you play it's got to be the way kear has you playing forwards rugby all the time with no plan b.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#37 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

Thanks again Kevin for your clarification on certain issues.

I am and always have been the first to give you and the board all credit for the achievements in recent seasons, something of which you all can be extremely proud. What is very difficult to understand for many true supporters, is firstly the lack of communication of your plans and ambitions for the Club, following all the relative success. Most businesses and sporting organisations have targets and budgets in place, which helps in selling the Club to potential sponsors, investors, and new players. It also keeps the supporters and existing sponsors motivated and feeling included.

Secondly, do the above groups (supporters and sponsors) see how all your hard work, and the hard work of the many volunteers at the Club, is translated into income into the Club via financial statements. When they are buying their burgers (quality ones at that!) , and their pints, do they see the impact their support (enjoyable albeit) is having in a positive way on the Club's finances. Again, this is a communication issue that could be improved by a more 'open book' approach.

Thirdly, we can all learn from success. Have you considered speaking with Ken Davy at Huddersfield Giants, who I am sure would be very willing to assist our Club whom he highly respects, and look at their marketing strategies and structure, perhaps sending Iro across to the John Smiths Stadium, spending some time within their organisation.

I think most reasonable supporters understand that your profession takes up much if your time, and is your bread and butter. Try and make it easier on yourself Kevin, and become more 'inclusive' by more regular communication, and the acceptance of new ways to strengthen and improve the Club, especially if we are facing the climb from Championship 1 rugby to get back to where we belong, challenging for real honours.

#38 Dolmio Babcock

Dolmio Babcock
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

I am and always have been the first to give you and the board all credit for the achievements in recent seasons, something of which you all can be extremely proud. What is very difficult to understand for many true supporters, is firstly the lack of communication of your plans and ambitions for the Club, following all the relative success. Most businesses and sporting organisations have targets and budgets in place, which helps in selling the Club to potential sponsors, investors, and new players. It also keeps the supporters and existing sponsors motivated and feeling included.

Secondly, do the above groups (supporters and sponsors) see how all your hard work, and the hard work of the many volunteers at the Club, is translated into income into the Club via financial statements. When they are buying their burgers (quality ones at that!) , and their pints, do they see the impact their support (enjoyable albeit) is having in a positive way on the Club's finances. Again, this is a communication issue that could be improved by a more 'open book' approach.

Thirdly, we can all learn from success. Have you considered speaking with Ken Davy at Huddersfield Giants, who I am sure would be very willing to assist our Club whom he highly respects, and look at their marketing strategies and structure, perhaps sending Iro across to the John Smiths Stadium, spending some time within their organisation.

I think most reasonable supporters understand that your profession takes up much if your time, and is your bread and butter. Try and make it easier on yourself Kevin, and become more 'inclusive' by more regular communication, and the acceptance of new ways to strengthen and improve the Club, especially if we are facing the climb from Championship 1 rugby to get back to where we belong, challenging for real honours.

Excellent post, not sure who you are, but you have put some cracking posts on in recent times, Terminator you have a rival for the best posting gong. Take a bow sir.

Serving Pasta across the Shannon Matthews County.

#39 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Excellent post, agree 100% with Babcock. This is by far and away the best thing I've read on this subject. Objective and constructive in equal measure!

Posted Image

#40 Kevin Nicholas

Kevin Nicholas
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Will try to take on board communication points etc. but probably via website not on here.although may duplicate stuff if get chance. Cos I always go on a bit the forum is not for me anymore also some unfair posts I get frustrated with but not all as some are good points and fair but others not. Anyway whether I am being optimistic or not we are not down yet and that is my attitude regardless . Will address issues after 7th sept whatever they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users