Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

What can we do to increase attendances?

• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#1 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

There is good news around in the game at the moment such as the increased money from Sky-but what really concerns me is the decline in attendances at all levels of the professional game in this country.

Examples from yesterday:

Huddersfield challenging at the top level of the game 5300 v Widnes.

Rochdale v Doncasre 571

and finally Oldham once a hotbed of the game 438.

Hopefully we will get a good crowd at wembley next week but that it is likely to be followed up by poor crowds for the play off games.

Televised games rarely dissapoint us but for example at warrington last Friday there appears to be a lot more spare seats -and the lack of atmosphere does come over.

Everybody wil have their reasons as to the decline but when compared to soccer (not the premiership which is a one off) we seem to be suffering.

What ideas have you got to increase attendances at your club next season?

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

Reducing the number of clubs in Superleague will do absolutely nothing to increase attendances.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 scotchy

scotchy
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

Reducing the number of clubs in Superleague will do absolutely nothing to increase attendances.

i dont think that is necessarily true. 

We need to be selling a quality product, stretching our playing pool thinner can reduce standards. 

There is a balance to be found, but a smaller league with a higher cap and better standards would get more people watching.

I dont think its a coincidence that as complaints regarding the playing standards have gone up, attendances have gone down. By definition the pinnacle of a pyramid is the smallest part. 

#4 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Match day marketing is the key for me. There is nothing wrong with the product on the field of play.

Every club should make the people in the town or city play aware that there is a Rugby League club in the town or city for starters. There are people living in Huddersfield and other places who are not aware there is a Rugby League club there.

For starters all clubs should make people aware of when they are playing at home,the day and the KO time. Who they are Playing.  What the admission prices are.

Basic things like these would help.

#5 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

Stick posts in the ground and announce kick off times......it's worked for London over the last 19 years......

#6 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

i dont think that is necessarily true. 

We need to be selling a quality product, stretching our playing pool thinner can reduce standards. 

There is a balance to be found, but a smaller league with a higher cap and better standards would get more people watching.

I dont think its a coincidence that as complaints regarding the playing standards have gone up, attendances have gone down. By definition the pinnacle of a pyramid is the smallest part. 

I'm with you entirely on this.

We need to remember that given Rochdale's recent profit small clubs do not have to be pressured to get attendances up. 

I'm sure if they go into the red to the tune of a 100 grand by buying players they cannot afford, will easily put the attendances up for a season or two before bursting the bubble.

The real business end is Superleague and the key to the question posed is how to maximise attendances in that division.

Even then it's not always as simple as numbers, it's about profit. Free tickets would do the trick for instance but we know that's no good,,,,

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,900 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

back to winter

proper scrums when hookers hooked and props propped

proper stadiums with atmosphere

promotion and relegation(natch)

proper teams from proper rugby league areas, none of your made up teams

edit: if people want to shout and chant stuff let them, they've paid their money.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 18 August 2014 - 10:17 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#8 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

A poster mentioned Jacksonville.  I have spoken with Spinner and other amateur sports team that do well with attendences.  It seems that you can get to 1,000 pretty much on the back of friends, friends of friends, family and friends of family.

Beyond that it gets tricky.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#9 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

Start penalising forward passes.

#10 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

It's funny how the biggest attendances in the season are the ones that are advertised well. I am sure clubs have worked out by now that to increase crowds you need to inform people of what is happening? Maybe not. 

So much can be done, but teams aren't willing to invest in this. 

Do any clubs do market research? Where do there fans come from? What attracted them? What attracts them now? 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#11 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

Give supporter groups and supporter projects central funding. Create a better atmosphere

#12 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Play less games ! 30 matches for next season's SL is waaaaaay too much.

And don't bring in ludicrous new structures, such as what's coming in 2015 !

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,900 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

how about a couple of strippers in the club house before the game?

Somewhere along the line we have forgotten that Rugby League is the sport of the working man.

Keeping it local

#14 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

...and finally Oldham once a hotbed of the game 438.

Well Oldham would have had at least 1 more if they had some covered terracing, as it was I looked out of the window and thought "Nah"........

#15 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

I think the Championship will have something of a boost next year with the return of the possibility of both promotion and relegation and the inclusion of Bradford in their ranks. It could turn out to be a very competitive league. Regarding SL, this is not the answer, but it would certainly help. I would advocate each Club targetting a game in the same way that Wigan have 'The Big One,' in order to maximise the crowd for that particular match. An extra 3-4000 fans at each ground, even for 1 game would make a difference.

#16 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

Stop completely teeing off your existing fan base.

Stupid league structures. (Been a season ticket holder at Rovers for 22 of my 40 years and am seriously thinking about not bothering next year!)

Constant moving of fixtures and kick off times.

Sick of people within the game saying how great it is when obviously right now in the UK it is not. We have some serious issues and we seem to be burying our heads in the sand.

That's a few things from me to start it off.

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

how about a couple of strippers in the club house before the game?

Somewhere along the line we have forgotten that Rugby League is the sport of the working man.

For a couple of years in the pre-Superleague days, a busload of St Helens supporters used to spend a couple of pre-game hours in Wibsey WMC. The club wasn't one of those that had strippers on a Sunday dinnertime so the Saints troop brought their own one with them on the bus.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#18 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,900 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

For a couple of years in the pre-Superleague days, a busload of St Helens supporters used to spend a couple of pre-game hours in Wibsey WMC. The club wasn't one of those that had strippers on a Sunday dinnertime so the Saints troop brought their own one with them on the bus.

real fans. That's what Rugby League was all about when it were proper Rugby League

Keeping it local

#19 EssexRL

EssexRL
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Not sure degrading women is the way ahead...

It has got to be about marketing ultimately. The product is great (much more consistent than footie), it needs promoting and advertising at all levels, not just SL.

I have spoken to people associated with Enfield FC where Skolars are playing at the moment who have never seen RL but really enjoy it (including the bloke selling burgers) but they would not have watched a game if they weren't employed by ETFC.
London Skolars

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,900 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Not sure degrading women is the way ahead...

It has got to be about marketing ultimately. The product is great (much more consistent than footie), it needs promoting and advertising at all levels, not just SL.

I have spoken to people associated with Enfield FC where Skolars are playing at the moment who have never seen RL but really enjoy it (including the bloke selling burgers) but they would not have watched a game if they weren't employed by ETFC.

who said out about degrading women?

I'd have a comedian on maybe every other week: a proper comedian.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 18 August 2014 - 02:02 PM.

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users