Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

23/08/14 | Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers | 3pm | Challenge Cup Final

• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

Poll: Which team are you supporting in the Challenge Cup Final? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Which team are you supporting in the Challenge Cup Final?

1. Castleford Tigers (34 votes [68.00%])

Percentage of vote: 68.00%

2. Leeds Rhinos (8 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

3. Neither, I'm neutral! (8 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

Which team will win the 2014 Tetley's Challenge Cup?

1. Castleford Tigers by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.00%])

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

2. Castleford Tigers by 7 to 12 points (12 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. Castleford Tigers by 1 to 6 points (16 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

4. Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points (12 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

6. Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more (4 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

Discuss the Tetley's Challenge Cup Final to be played at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 23rd August between Castleford Tigers and Leeds Rhinos here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Fine then, ignore mine ;)

Leeds 17 named at lunch time:
8BF95162-9B48-4188-A01B-D931B158DF1B_zps

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#3 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

Fine then, ignore mine ;)

Leeds 17 named at lunch time:
8BF95162-9B48-4188-A01B-D931B158DF1B_zps

Ah sorry, missed it!

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Should be an open game. Cas will miss Craig Huby and I hope they don't get stretched too wide on a big pitch.

I'd love Cas to win nearly as much as I'd love Leeds to lose.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

I'll watch this game fully expecting Leeds to win.

I'd love Cas to lift the trophy, whether they were playing Leeds or Wire, but I just think it's finally the Rhinos' year - an unmissable opportunity. Even though it's been nice to smirk at Sinfield and co over the years, I wouldn't begrudge them have to have one winners medal eventually.

Plus it would be just typical in this Bulls relegation year.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

I'll watch this game fully expecting Leeds to win.

I'd love Cas to lift the trophy, whether they were playing Leeds or Wire, but I just think it's finally the Rhinos' year - an unmissable opportunity.

Pretty much my thoughts - I'll be cheering for Cas, as I guess many people will - but there is a feeling of inevitability that this is finally Leeds's cup year. I won't begrudge it for a second either.

Here's to  a cracking game and I hope both sets of fans have a ball.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 18 August 2014 - 03:14 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

MEDIA RELEASE

Entertainment extravaganza to light up Wembley

The Tetley’s Challenge Cup final will enhance its reputation as Rugby League’s most prestigious event on Saturday when Castleford Tigers and Leeds Rhinos top the bill on a historic day of sporting entertainment at Wembley Stadium.
As well as the eagerly-anticipated clash between rivals Castleford and Leeds at 3.00pm, fans will be treated to a fantastic package featuring the traditional schoolboy curtain-raiser, live musical performances and an exciting dance project.
The fun starts at 1.05pm when the Year 7 Boys from Castleford Academy play Brooksbank High School from Halifax for the Steven Mullaney Memorial Trophy in the final match of the 2014 Champion Schools tournament.
Victoria Gray, a mezzo soprano who has performed at The Royal Albert Hall, the BBC’s Songs of Praise, The Classic Brits and the FA Cup final,  will perform live inside the stadium prior to the big kick-off, singing the traditional Challenge Cup hymn Abide With Me.
Live music will also be provided by The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (Lancashire) whilst Chant Productions, who used over 500 participants in the quarter-finals and semi-finals, will perform with a choir made up of representatives from across the country.
There will also be a half-time performance from the Rugby League Cares Dance Programme, who will be carrying on the legacy of the hugely-successful 2013 Rugby League World Cup dance project.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#8 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

reckon this could be a very good game, can see leeds just shading a fairly high scoring game. 28 v20 sinfield to get mom.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#9 ivans82

ivans82
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

on current form i cant see past cas  .  leeds are no where near their best form  .

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,460 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

My heart says Cas, my head says Leeds will call on their big match experience and win it. Either way, I'll be happy for the winners, as long as it is a good game.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Should be an open game. Cas will miss Craig Huby

Wouldn't be surprised if he plays
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#12 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

on current form i cant see past cas  .  leeds are no where near their best form  .

I agree.

But this game means so much to Leeds after years of second best.

Expect a big game from Jamie Peacock. 

Too close to call.

Should be a good game.

#13 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

Been the most cynical cas fan ever I can't help think Leeds will take it.

With Millington out and Huby likely to be out (or less than 100%) I think our 2nd phase attack will be less effective in terms of offloading and speed at the ptb. Mixed with the big game experience and devastating outside backs of Leeds it may be a big ask.

That said having watched us this year I would never bet against us either. Would love us to do it and think theirs some cracking stories within this cas team.

Liam Finn - playing part time championship last year and working as a sparky to enjoying wembley week in about 10 months!

Shenny - suspect when he signed deal to come home he'd thought he'd played in his last final similarly Andy Lynch.

Daz Clarke - what a way that would be to sign out on his Cas career.

Similarly Huby made his debut as a 16 year old many moons ago and finally in his final season could achieve one of his dreams with his hometown club.

And Daryl Powell credited for his contribution in developing the golden generation at Leeds, now credited with been the saviour of his home town club with a chance to nick the prize which has alluded his former charges for so long and take it home.

Whatever happens Saturday should and will be celebrated by all Cas fans. I remember standing in the Wheldon Road end early last season on a dismal day watching us lose to a poor Broncos, poor attendance and no atmosphere wondering why I bother.....What a difference a season can make.

Whatever the result hope everyone has a cracking day.

#14 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

Been the most cynical cas fan ever I can't help think Leeds will take it.

With Millington out and Huby likely to be out (or less than 100%) I think our 2nd phase attack will be less effective in terms of offloading and speed at the ptb. Mixed with the big game experience and devastating outside backs of Leeds it may be a big ask.

That said having watched us this year I would never bet against us either. Would love us to do it and think theirs some cracking stories within this cas team.

Liam Finn - playing part time championship last year and working as a sparky to enjoying wembley week in about 10 months!

Shenny - suspect when he signed deal to come home he'd thought he'd played in his last final similarly Andy Lynch.

Daz Clarke - what a way that would be to sign out on his Cas career.

Similarly Huby made his debut as a 16 year old many moons ago and finally in his final season could achieve one of his dreams with his hometown club.

And Daryl Powell credited for his contribution in developing the golden generation at Leeds, now credited with been the saviour of his home town club with a chance to nick the prize which has alluded his former charges for so long and take it home.

Whatever happens Saturday should and will be celebrated by all Cas fans. I remember standing in the Wheldon Road end early last season on a dismal day watching us lose to a poor Broncos, poor attendance and no atmosphere wondering why I bother.....What a difference a season can make.

Whatever the result hope everyone has a cracking day.

Brilliantly put. Well done.

I feel a bit numb about it at the moment. If hasn't quite sunk in yet that the ultimate dream for Cas fans is within our grasp.

I was at the quarter & semi finals and it was fantastic - I can't imagine what winning on Saturday will feel like.

I think the bookies have got it about right - we need to be at our very best and Leeds to be off colour if there are to be black & amber ribbons on the cup.

It will be a day full of emotion - based on where we were last season, we can't really lose...

Come on Cas.....!!

#15 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

on current form i cant see past cas . leeds are no where near their best form .

Leeds have fielded a full team once since May.

That was 2 weeks ago against Wire. The last 2 league games players have been rested and before that they have been missing 5 or 6 players at a time.

In all honesty with Leeds fielding a full team I can see a Leeds win by 18. Cas have done outstandingly under Powell this year but I don't think they're at this level just yet.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#16 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

I've just got a sneaky feeling that Cas will really raise their game for this one. If Huby does play (and it's doubtful he will in my opinion) it will be a huge boost for them.

#17 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Far too many trophies in Sinfield, McGuire, Peacock, Burrow, Buchanan ect to not put in a performance on this sort of stage. Cas might bottle it but I think Powell will of installed a mentality which stops them doing so.

Will be a battle between experience and skill in the half backs. Huby will be a huge miss for Cas. Clarke and Burrow will be crucial also.

Leeds by 4.

#18 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

After watching the two semis I was way more impressed with Cas than Leeds. Cas certainly seem to have more creative flair and speed around the ruck. However against Warrington we just did enough to get over the line and the big game experience may get us over the line. Still very much reliant on the old guard though. Out dads army pack can't keep us going for too much longer.

I'm hoping for a classic but taking my daughter to her first final that Leeds come out on top.

#19 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

I'm going for Cas, narrowly, which with my forecasting record means that Leeds will probably walk it.

#20 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Phil Bentham to referee 2014 Tetley’s Challenge Cup final

Phil Bentham will referee the 2014 Tetley’s Challenge Cup final, Castleford Tigers v Leeds Rhinos at Wembley Stadium on Saturday (3.00pm).
It will be Bentham’s third Wembley appearance following his Challenge Cup final debut in 2011 and last year’s final, Wigan Warriors v Hull FC.
He will be assisted by touch-judges Joe Cobb and Robert Hicks, whilst Ben Thaler will be the video referee alongside video referee spotter Steve Ganson.
“I started refereeing in 1998 and my goal was always to officiate in the Challenge Cup final,” said Bentham. “To get to my third final is a massive privilege because this is the most prestigious match in Rugby League.
“I went to final after final when I was younger, and I always dreamt of playing in a Challenge Cup final at Wembley Stadium as a kid – now I can taste the atmosphere of a Cup final again, officiating two sides looking to make Cup history.
“The competition to be appointed to this game has been massive, the officials department as a whole has had a strong season and our team on the day have all earned their places.
“Joe Cobb’s appointment as touch-judge proves that there is a way through to the big events in the sport for part-time officials who have the right amount of dedication and commitment.”
The match commissioner for Saturday’s final will be Barry Lilley and the time-keeper David Campbell. The reserve referee and touch-judge are Richard Silverwood and Mark Craven, respectively.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users