Keeping the faith, but.....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

In a previous post, Steve Wild has quite rightly requested us fans to 'Keep the faith' and I for one will be doing just that and looking forward to next season for a number of reasons, amongst them 

• simply watching Rugby League
  • hopefully watching us win more games than we lose
  • travelling to new grounds 
  • and following this seasons events seeing our club rebuild and progress 

but... and with the RFL there always seems to be a 'but' and this is my reason for the 'but'.....

The RFL has decided to expand Championship 1 into a 14 team league but then decides that this will give too many fixtures (26) and so reduce this to 22 (appreciate the cost of clubs travelling but couldn't the RFL have funded this considering the increase in cash injections throughout the game).

So depending on the 'regionalising' of the fixtures surely this will give a unbalanced influence on the final league positions and then in addition yet another 'but'......a team could win all 23 of its league fixtures, be head and shoulders above all the other teams and under the 'play-off' system not get promoted by simply hitting a 2 game losing streak ??? that does really puzzle me plus anybody else I have discussed this with.

Hate to bring any negativism into next season ahead of the game but have I got it wrong, any comments appreciated.

#2 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

I don't know whether youve got it right or wrong
Next season remains a mystery to me
As do most RFL decisions

#3 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

To be honest Mark its not just our league, I was talking to a friend of mine (a Leigh fan) and he and his mates don't understand their set up for next season - how can we hope to spread the game when the RFL continue to bring out complicated set ups - lets keep things as simple as possible - if you finish top of the league you get promoted cannot see any problem with that surely

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

If you go on the general rugby league forum on here you will find endless discussions about promotion and relegation
I think the majority prefer the closed shop of super league. I don't understand why
I'm with you.

#5 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

I've said before on a previous thread that I dislike the League 1 set up where teams do not play each other home and away.  Straight away there is a complication and unfairness built into the system made worse in this case by the regionalisation of some fixtures.  Why add a new cup competition if there are too many fixtures for a straight forward league set up?  Yes it's nice to have the chance to win another competition but I doubt it will be a huge money spinner for virtually all the clubs involved and I think it also has a regional element built in to complicate things.

As for the play off system it is a nonsense as at the very, very least the team that wins the league should gain automatic promotion.  Still that's the what the clubs have opted for so we have to put up with it.

#6 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 946 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

As for the play off system it is a nonsense as at the very, very least the team that wins the league should gain automatic promotion. Still that's the what the clubs have opted for so we have to put up with it.

Not so sure that this is what the clubs have opted for bit you're quite correct!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#7 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

As I understand the set up the structure is supposed to reduce the amount of travel and therefore the costs to the clubs. I understand the cup competition is also regionalised?

Teams from "down south" will get more games against each other so less travel and also more opportunity for then to develop.

If all teams do not all play each other twice then some may actually consider it unfair if the league leader goes up ( having played different teams perhaps than second placed). The play off games for promotion are heavily weighted towards the league winner (just as promotion to super league is heavily weighted to superleague teams).

I am looking forward to it for the same reasons as class of 63.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#8 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

At the last league meeting I attended the London Skolars rep (plus 1 or 2 others) felt that there were TOO MANY league fixtures! It was actually quite funny when Ralph Rimmer of the RFL asked Skolars if they actually wanted to play any games! But joking apart I agree it's not ideal, but at least the cup competition is an interesting sideline. Incidentally I understand that only the first round is regionalised , & from the quarters it's an open draw.

#9 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

I'd be very interested to hear which clubs supported this farce. I suspect it's the new teams who can see a competitive advantage of avoiding games against the established northern clubs. I support expansion but to handicap the northern teams like they have seems grossly unfair.

Imagine if a team decided it was worth relocating south for a season to have easier games? Are there any rules preventing such a ploy?

#10 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 694 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

watch - I think it is a great way forward. Finishing in the top 2 positions gives you the best chance of promotion. everyone knows that before the season so I don't see the problem with it. - makes it more exciting.

#11 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Good video and we all will have different opinions but as it says 'the new league format needs to be fair' - in my opinion as previously stated the team finishing top after 22 games (not 23 as I previously stated) should get automatic promotion -surely that is fair.

But correct we all know the format for next season so lets enjoy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users