Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So this will attract how many new speccies?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

I'm surprised no one else has commented so far on this. Last Sunday, a tannoy announcement was made, presumably on instructions from CH, that no passouts are available at Whitebank and, if you wish to go out of the ground, you'll have to pay to get back in! I assume this is primarily aimed at smokers, who may wish to go out at half time for a cigarette, cigar or a pipe smoke. I believe that all the night clubs in Oldham have a pass out scheme, as does the Oldham Beer Festival at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, as did Leigh Sports Village for last year's Grand Finals.

Whatever your views on smoking , and Hamilton's personal views, which I don't know, he's supposed to be running a business. If ever a stay away fan, who happens to smoke, needs a pretext for not attending Whitebank, being forced to go without a smoke for over two hours is pretty compelling. Thanks Hamilton. You've probably ensured not only a few more fans lost but reduced the chances of some ever coming back. And still some people think this guy being in charge is the best way forward for the club. Give me strength, but I don't suppose I should be surprised at anything that comes from this man.

And, just to show that it's not all negative, a good result and a good display on Sunday, especially on defence.

#2 exiledyed

exiledyed
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

To be fair to Chris and ORLFC , It is a safety requirement , we don't want any of the stadium to burn down would we  :focus:

#3 RoughyedRabbitoh

RoughyedRabbitoh
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

I'm surprised no one else has commented so far on this. Last Sunday, a tannoy announcement was made, presumably on instructions from CH, that no passouts are available at Whitebank and, if you wish to go out of the ground, you'll have to pay to get back in! I assume this is primarily aimed at smokers, who may wish to go out at half time for a cigarette, cigar or a pipe smoke. I believe that all the night clubs in Oldham have a pass out scheme, as does the Oldham Beer Festival at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, as did Leigh Sports Village for last year's Grand Finals.

Whatever your views on smoking , and Hamilton's personal views, which I don't know, he's supposed to be running a business. If ever a stay away fan, who happens to smoke, needs a pretext for not attending Whitebank, being forced to go without a smoke for over two hours is pretty compelling. Thanks Hamilton. You've probably ensured not only a few more fans lost but reduced the chances of some ever coming back. And still some people think this guy being in charge is the best way forward for the club. Give me strength, but I don't suppose I should be surprised at anything that comes from this man.

And, just to show that it's not all negative, a good result and a good display on Sunday, especially on defence.

Hamilton is our God he keeps the ORLFC going bless him...

#4 oldhambear7

oldhambear7
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

He safeguards his salary from the RFL and nothing more.

#5 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

Funny when I heard the announcement, being a none smoker. I thought, who would want to go out of the ground anyway?

#6 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

I heard all the announcements and couldn't understand any one of them. The annoy system is awful. Not helped by the fact that the announcer shouts!!!!?

#7 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

It could be that there is no tannoy system and it is a guy who is just shouting.!!!!!!!!'

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#8 andykenny

andykenny
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

This is forward thinking from the same man who is heard on the Oldham Radio Commentary asking why the gates are not higher.its got to be a requirement to have someone on the main gate.Buy some rubber stamps and give the stamp for the day to that person.Hamilton cannot do this yet he will have someone there to take re entrance money.Put the average attendances in graph form and they are going one way.

Don't think there's an awful lot left to cock up now.The merchandise shop on the website is so un professional that its embarrassing.I remember wanting to buy stuff for presents and was shunted from landsdown road to asda and back and eventually gave up.Stuff should be on sale 24/7 either by shopping cart or via a link to a ebay shop.Not by having to wait till match day or going into the bowels of that oasis place.

#9 Tangle

Tangle
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Why would anybody want to leave when it's so exciting I don't care who is in charge ,I just enjoy rugby league,!

#10 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

The club does a lot wrong... but I cant help feeling this is stretching it as another thing to add to that list.

How many other clubs offer a pass-out?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#11 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

I can just imagine the board meeting (CH talking to himself in several different voices)....

Next topic....Falling crowds and how to address the decline....."Charge re-entry fee for people leaving the ground for smoking" 

Can you imagine If the landlord finished your pint when you popped out of the pub for a cig, and charged you for another when you came back in  !!!

May be a small matter but its another stick to the pile and i'm afraid that many more may break the camels back!!!!

#12 HomeOfTheTubularBandage

HomeOfTheTubularBandage
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

I have to agree on this one. I used to be a smoker, not any more, but this seems pretty draconian.

It's not a safety regulation or employment regulation at all. It is to ensure no-one smokes inside the ground maybe, but not allowing people out of the ground for a fag?? As someone else said, there's a steward on the gate all the time anyway rubber stamp em and let them back in.

#13 exiledyed

exiledyed
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

We can't afford a rubber stamp 

#14 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

Ink and Stamps cost money. The remaining ORL supporters are so  blind in they commitment to CH that he doesn't care anymore what ridiculous situations he concocts as the will still show up and keep his grubby little show on the road.

He knows that the remaining few (and they are only a few now) are total LUNATIC's. 

#15 HomeOfTheTubularBandage

HomeOfTheTubularBandage
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Superdude, I am certainly not blind in my commitment to the club, and I have no commitment to CH whatsoever. There is no one who still attends games that is more critical of the club than me. It's just better to have a club than not have one.
I hear a lot of big talk from people who say 'When the club folds 'we' will set up a new one.' But who are the we? What relationship do they have with the RFL? Where will the money come from? What stadium plans do they have?
It's all ######. If they could do it, they would have already set up a rival Oldham club. If it was successful it would have killed the existing club.
But no. Nothing. Because these kind of people simply don't have the intellect, contacts, finance, business knowledge or commitment.
I am no lover of the current regime, but unlike others, I'm not so blinded my distaste for it that I would rather the town had no club at all.

Edited by HomeOfTheTubularBandage, 23 August 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#16 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:14 AM

Mrs Tubular Bandage...This sentiment is exactly what keeps the current regime alive. The 450 soft touches who pay to watch are allowing CH to run the club into the ground to keep his odd little circus moving along. He has no interest in Rugby - its the only job he is every likely to have now and he is holding on for dear god. 

If less people turned up he would be forced to sell up or take on other investors or the club would go into administration. 

They club has no real assets (nothing to sell to pay the creditors) to speak off. The administrators would therefore take the best deal available. Any number of local business people could then work with the administration to iron out a deal.

Where to Play - With no CH in the picture boundary park would be an option.

Players - They come and go and play wherever they can get paid.

The only stumbling block may be the rugby league. Oldham is such a poor relative now they may not care about a new club reforming - Unless we get teh backing of a Marwan Koukash type who's money the RL could not ignore.

It baffles me to see 450 Lumatics who support CH and prevent things inmproving for the 10 times as many people who have walked away from ORL due to shabby management since 1996.

#17 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

Any number of local business people could then work with the administration to iron out a deal.
Where to Play - With no CH in the picture boundary park would be an option.
Players - They come and go and play wherever they can get paid.

With reference to the above points.

You are obviously not a business man, I am, I own and run a sports business, and I wouldn't invest in a rugby or football club unless I had money to throw away. I'm in business to make a living, that means making a profit. The raison detre of most RL clubs isn't, although it should be, profit. It's either as prestige c#ck swagger for its owner, ie as in man city, Chelsea and also Salford or it's there to try and keep its head above water. The latter is more common than the former.

You keep coming up with this' if it wasn't for CH we'd be playing at boundary park' . You keep stating it as fact! Come on give us your insight. Oh and we don't want to know about your cousins best mates auntie has it on good authority from the cleaning lady of Bill Quinn.

With regards to the third point above, Marc Sneyd, Oldham lad on loan from Salford played for Castleford yesterday? Where's he playing next year? And Why? Players move, they always have and always will. Why? Money.

So please do us soft touches and lunatics a favour stop repeating yourself over and over and over and over. We know we are not where we want to be, but what I saw last weekend on the pitch was commitment and determination and those lads deserve our support. So support or shut up.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 24 August 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#18 exiledyed

exiledyed
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

Here we go again , if you don't like whats happening at the club either support them or do one , that's exactly the head in the sand attitude that has put us where we are now .

#19 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Here we go again , if you don't like whats happening at the club either support them or do one , that's exactly the head in the sand attitude that has put us where we are now .

Yeah and moaning ad infinitum has helped.

#20 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Miss hand and foot....

You really are crazy. Of course most businesses are run for profit, and I agree that some sport clubs are run for vanity. ORL is run for your pal chris's vanity. The only difference is that the owners of man city, salford and Chelsea are proud men and their vanity means that they invest huge sums to gain success. CH's vanity means you watch tosh on a landfill to support his grubby act.

If hornets can get promotion and turn a profit then there is surely hope for us. Your brainwashed lunatic mentality of we must support whatever ch does because I support oldham is exactly why the our local neighbors ( with significantly less RL heritage) are putting us to shame. You are preventing us moving forward by suporting the circus.

I stand by my statement that you are a lunatic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users