Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SATURDAY EVENING HOME GAMES IN 2015 ?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

Says in the Evening Mail today that the BOD are seriously considering playing home matches on saturday evenings next year to help free up the weekends for players and staff who now face long journeys for many of the away matches. Liam Harrison has actually stated that it is a "deal breaker" for him, i.e. he will not be carrying on playing if the home games are on a sunday. I personally prefer the saturday evening games. I think they used to kick off at 6:30pm a few seasons back. Friday evenings are a no no for myself and most people. Thoughts everyone ???

Posted Image

#2 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

I enjoy the evening games. I've missed a load of games this year. If they'd of been a Friday or Saturday evening I'd of been there.

#3 Penno

Penno
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

My first thought is, does every club in the Championship 1 have floodlights?

Edited by Penno, 20 August 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#4 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

Some of us have been asking for this for the past 3 seasons, a no brainer for me,better transport links, i for one would spend more in the bar as no work next day and the players can also enjoy a drink or two after the game...Gaz...

#5 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

The only problem to overcome as I see it is that the teams we play that require us to travel the previouse day ( overnightr's), they will have to do the same when coming to CP.
This would bring additional expense to them as they would have to travel on the Friday!
Paying there players for a day off work as well as hotel &travel expenses .

#6 ivans82

ivans82
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

as a town fan i have wanted friday night games for years . far more atmosphere for some reason . go ahead and give it a try .your gates are fantastic as it is anyway but its worth a try . the league can t object as sheffield played on thursday nights for years. best of luck next year i m sure you will be up with us no bother .

#7 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

Whilst I think Saturday evenings might work, Fridays wouldn't.
It would mean part time players having to take the day off.
The motorway networks get really busy on Friday afternoons from about lunchtime onwards
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#8 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 991 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

My first thought is, does every club in the Championship 1 have floodlights?

What has this got to do with when we play our HOME games (as long as we have our new floodlights up and running).

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#9 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'd rather have a Saturday evening home games.
Rip the bludgers heads off!

#10 Penno

Penno
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

What has this got to do with when we play our HOME games (as long as we have our new floodlights up and running).

I will quote from the original post "the BOD are seriously considering playing home matches on saturday evenings next year to help free up the weekends for players and staff who now face long journeys for many of the away matches. Liam Harrison has actually stated that it is a "deal breaker" for him".

I read from that that we are expecting our away games to also be played on a Saturday evening (at least for the further away clubs), if not there would be no point in doing it for Barrow.

#11 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 991 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

I will quote from the original post "the BOD are seriously considering playing home matches on saturday evenings next year to help free up the weekends for players and staff who now face long journeys for many of the away matches. Liam Harrison has actually stated that it is a "deal breaker" for him".

I read from that that we are expecting our away games to also be played on a Saturday evening (at least for the further away clubs), if not there would be no point in doing it for Barrow.

What you read and what is written would appear to be two totally different things.

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#12 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 884 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

I think would Liam is referring to Penno is that he would prefer to play Saturdays when we have a home game. At the moment they train on a Saturday and then play on a Sunday which is a long weekend. We can't make a club play on a Saturday if they are at home.

I really hope these Saturday games happen.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#13 barrycotton2010

barrycotton2010
  • Facebook
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

Iwould say ballot the players first to see the reaction and go with the majotity I normaly
travel up from st helens sunday morning and get the six fifteen home , but would not mind traveling
up saturday and having a good night in Barrow , love it . And travel home sunday

#14 Penno

Penno
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Lets see what happens, if it makes sense for Barrow because of the long distances teams need to travel with semi pro players next year I would guess that other clubs would come to the same concussion. Would we be allowed to just pick which day we play without the other teams in the league agreeing it?

#15 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

Saturday games make sense to me.

An ameteur game prior to the match at 4.30 with the match kicking off at 6.30. Bar and food open from 4.30 with after match entertainment until about 10 o clock. Only do this for the games after may though. If we can get 100 people at the ground from 4.30 for 5 hours drinking you can make quite a lot of money.

Maybe try and get a game between an ameteur team from round here v an ameteur team from the away side to encourage more fans to come down.

Offer a club special deals for the ones who actually being supporters. Say if you fill a bus of 50 and watch the ameteur game we will put food on for you and offer £2 a pint whilst the ameteur game is on. If it's a club from a long distance maybe team up with a hotel to get them a good deal if they all stay in a similar hotel.

Just ideas to try maximise bar takings and get fans at the ground longer. On Sundays literally I turn up 2 mins before kick off and leave 2 mins afterwards due to work the next day. On Saturdays I'd be able to drink and would spend much more money in the ground, I'm sure this is the case for away fans also.

#16 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

Saturdays sound ok to me or leave it where it is...Fridays are a no no

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#17 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Saturday would be superb for me :D

#18 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

saturday for me, i could get the train and have a few beers!

#19 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

Saturdays not a problem for me

#20 Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder
  • Coach
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Saturdays - Yes Please